Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion
by IhartU
July 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

article image

An 11-year-old Chilean girl who was raped by her mother’s boyfriend can't get an abortion, despite the fact that doctors warned the pregnancy poses a threat to her health. Abortion under any circumstances has been illegal in the highly conservative country since 1973.

Her mother’s boyfriend confessed to sexually abusing the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant, over the last two years. He is now in police custody.

Now that the girl’s case has been made public, those who oppose the ban are standing behind her and asking that the ban make exceptions in the case of women who are raped or when the mother’s health is at risk. A petition was even started online to make exceptions to the ban.

"The Chilean elite is very conservative and this has had an influence in Congress," said Chilean political scientist Patricio Navia. "Laws, therefore, change at a much slower pace than the rest of Chilean society. Because society is much less conservative than it was 15 or 20 years ago."

Chile is one of six countries in the world, including Vatican City, which has a total ban on abortion. The ban was instated by Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship, and in the last year the current conservative administration has shot down three bills that would modify the ban. 

“It’s the first online petition I’ve signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion,” Chilean web designer Eduardo Hernandez, 30, told the Associated Press. “When I heard about this little girl, my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it’s the best option in this case.”

Front-running in the country’s upcoming election, former president Michele Bachelet, said on Twitter that she plans to work to decriminalize abortion for rape victims if elected.

Last year, a 31-year-old woman died in Ireland after being denied an abortion in a Catholic hospital, although numerous doctors confirmed that an abortion would have saved her life. Savita Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks pregnant before her death, was allegedly told by a senior midwife at an Irish hospital that they could not terminate her dying baby because “it's a Catholic thing.”

Sources: ThinkProgress, Newser

Replies

• shannonnigans
    July 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Waiting for the god squad to defend. Or deflect.
  • rfurlongg
    July 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Assuming this story is thoroughly legitimate I hope that child finds helps before it is too late.

• AdrianneHill
    July 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Time is short. Maybe they can sneak her out.
  • Mommabearbergh
    July 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I hope they find help for her before its to late. If she does pass on sadly people will see that these cases aren't isolated but very real.

• Lili0509
    July 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

• Lili0509
    July 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

God squad? God doesn't want little girls to be raped...God doesn't want us to suffer. Why are people always hating on religion? I don't hate on those anti-religious....this is sad period, for the sake of this little girl.

Quoting shannonnigans:

• ..MoonShine..
    July 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    So it will be your God's will if she dies as a result of this pregnancy, a result of having been raped?

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

• ashleyrenee24
    July 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Because an embryo is much more important than a person.

• shannonnigans
    July 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Not hating on the religious. Many, if not the majority of religious people would find this story awful. The god squad is a certain bunch of women on this site known for defending anything, no matter how reprehensible, if it is in the name of religion.

Quoting Lili0509:

God squad? God doesn't want little girls to be raped...God doesn't want us to suffer. Why are people always hating on religion? I don't hate on those anti-religious....this is sad period, for the sake of this little girl.

Quoting shannonnigans:

• LilliesValley
    July 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

This is so sad. Could someone take her to another country close by to get the abortion? That's what I would do. This girl has been failed by her mother and now her country, how sad.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts