smalltowngal
What is your debate style? S/O
July 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Ok, everyone describe your debate style. Are you laid back? Do you have any problem calling someone and idiot if you think like they are acting like one. Do you have a list of links ready at all times?

Replies

• romalove
    July 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I like to debate on the facts presented.  I "can" Google for links but do it judiciously.  Often my debates are couched as questions for the other side, so to speak.  I believe it is possible (usually) to debate and discuss with people I don't agree with while keeping things civil.

• Gerbert
    by Gerbert
    July 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Im new to this. I think I'm pretty laid back and try not to call names. I speak more from the heart rather than the brain.

• snookyfritz
    July 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I try to avoid making things personal.  I know there are a lot of people here who specialize in that.  I just abruptly end the conversation when the "YOU's" start being thrown around.  Life's too short to take on grumblers

• AlekD
    by AlekD
    July 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yup. Same here. For the most part I try to keep things factual and civil and I have no shame in simply walking away from a debate that has devolved into You vs. Me.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I try to avoid making things personal.  I know there are a lot of people here who specialize in that.  I just abruptly end the conversation when the "YOU's" start being thrown around.  Life's too short to take on grumblers

• lancet98
    July 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You have GOT to be joking.

'Not being afraid' to call someone an idiot never furthered any discussion of any type.

I don't believe a 'list of links' really proves anything in a debate.   Whole dissertations have been written on how crappy the information at those 'links' really is.   Internet sources are ridiculously innacurate, incomplete, biased and out of date, and are no reliable source of 'information'.

Even 'real' sources of information can fall under that heading.   There are 'junk journals' and 'junk research' and 'junk data'.

And I don't think that most of the 'debates', especially on the internet bb's, really are debates at all.   They're usually two people or two groups shouting incredibly banal and insipid platitudes and neither side taking any notice of the other.

• smalltowngal
    July 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    I enjoy good conversations and am a lousy debater. I have no problem having the less popular opinion. I have been called a tree hugging liberal and a Reagan loving Republican in the same day.
  • Donna6503
    July 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Apparently, my style is to get everyone mad at me about something ... so I could be hated.

J/K my style depends on the topic.

Most topics where I have little passion, I will debate until I see that the other side is taking it way too personal ... than I just leave it alone.

On topic I do care about a lot (immigrations, Middle East and foreign affairs, Mexico, and some economic issues) I will debate the issues very fiercely.

I tend to use, "sarcasm" a bit too much.

And I rarely talk about my work and what I do at my job or the subject matter of my work; because, I get enough of that at work and I don't care for it here. :)
  • momtoscott
    July 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Pekingese.  I run in, yap, nip at the ankles, run back out.  

I don't see the discussions here as formal debates, nor would I want them to be.     

• Clairwil
    July 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Quoting smalltowngal:

Ok, everyone describe your debate style.

Much the same as my conversational style at home.

• RandRMomma
    July 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    It depends on the topic. I am more passionate about some topics than I am about others. Sometimes, my passion can come off as bitchy when I didn't mean it in that manner. That's why I do my best to watch what I say and how I am saying it. I do admit that sometimes, I will call someone an idiot, ignorant, extreme, etc, if I feel their responses come across that way.

I like to use sarcasm, and many cannot read through it. Sometimes I can be very passionate, other times I'm very nonchalant. I don't consider this a formal debate board though.