Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?
July 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Cirque du Soleil Accident Kills Young Mother of 2 in Front of a Terrified Audience

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Cirque de SoleilA 31-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer and mother of two has fallen 50 feet to her death during the finale of a show called Ka at the Las Vegas MGM Grand. At first audience members thought Sarah "Sassoon" Guyard's fall was part of the show until they heard screaming, groaning, and someone sobbing. It's just such an unbelievably shocking tragedy.

Cirque du Soleil performances may seem death defying and dangerous when you see them. After all, acrobats twirling on ribbons high above your head, swinging around, and contorting their bodies with nothing but hands and a bit of wire holding them up SEEM to be performing shocking, death-tempting acts. But, in fact, the show has never had a death in its 30 years of existence. Until now.

It's hard to imagine what that audience must have felt and even more hard to imagine the comments some self righteous people have been making about the mother of two young children.

It has been suggested (in comments sections) that perhaps her job was too dangerous and that she was somehow at risk for this. That is just hogwash and such a judgmental (and wrong) thing to say. Do people blame firefighters or police officers killed in the line of duty who also happen to be parents?

The reality is she was performing a carefully choreographed routine that she probably had been performing for years. This was something she had trained for decades to do, and it's no more dangerous than anything else done by well-trained and practiced professionals.

This is a tragedy, plain and simple. If there is anyone to blame, let's blame those who didn't keep the wires safe enough. Some speculation is that her foot slipped out of the wire. That shouldn't have happened.

Freak accidents happen on any job. People fall into meat grinders or slip and hit their heads on factory floors. Just because Guyard's line of work was performing arts doesn't mean she was inviting this to happen.

This is a senseless, horrible tragedy and filling it with platitudes like "she died doing what she loved" won't help, either. She did die doing what she loved, but it could have (and should have) been prevented. My heart goes out to her family and I hope that people will remember them when making online comments and remember that this job is no more dangerous than many others people perform every day.

Do you think mothers should avoid "dangerous" jobs?

Replies

• mikiemom
    July 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Parents - both male and female should avoid dangerous jobs. Why just women? Sexist much.

• BrookieCookie1
    July 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Well how about healthcare, which is still heavily dominated by a female workforce where direct patient care is concerned? Low risk of violent deaths, but what about all of the biological toxins healthcare workers are exposed to?ANtibiotic resistant disease, viruses, cancers, toxic medication like antineoplastics, which contaminate excrement, even, as they're metabolized, and yes, the combative patient(s)? What about convienence store workers and bank tellers, in regards to robberies? What about teachers nowadays? WHich are we calling dangerous jobs? Isn't living and working with anybody other than self kind of dangerous, or could be, as is?

As far as the Circque du soleil(sp? too lazy to scroll up:). You've got to be pretty talented to do that for a living and I'm sure prior to this woman dying, her kids were probably (and  still are) very proud of their mother, so no.

• GotSomeKids
    July 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Well, if that is the case, then we would never have enough (or someday not have enough) firefighters, doctors, police officers, para rescuers, military service members, nurses, paramedics, teachers (specifically highschool)....I could go on.

There is something dangerous about almost every job out there.

• lovinmykiddo07
    July 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

If parents avoided dangerous jobs then what would happen to our military? police force? firefighters? ect? 

Someone has to take the risks, and unfortunately, some of those people are parents. 

• Ktina11
    by Ktina11
    July 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Would the same be said of Nic Wallenta if he fell during his walk across the Grand Canyon two weeks ago?
  • stormcris
    July 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

You can be struck by lightening inside your own home. Danger is all around. No, mothers should not avoid them. However, my husband disagrees and feels that I as a mother should avoid all things, including convertibles, that are deemed more dangerous than average until my children hit 18. I can see his point. But, having been one of those people who were struck by lighting, and with both of us having the philosophy you die when you are meant to, I find it humorous and a bit moot.

• Sisteract
    July 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Well, if that is the case, then we would never have enough (or someday not have enough) firefighters, doctors, police officers, para rescuers, military service members, nurses, paramedics, teachers (specifically highschool)....I could go on.

There is something dangerous about almost every job out there.

Yep-

I am a nurse and I call my workplace the incubator.

My daughter is a high school teacher-

• turtle68
    July 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting stormcris:

You can be struck by lightening inside your own home. Danger is all around. No, mothers should not avoid them. However, my husband disagrees and feels that I as a mother should avoid all things, including convertibles, that are deemed more dangerous than average until my children hit 18. I can see his point. But, having been one of those people who were struck by lighting, and with both of us having the philosophy you die when you are meant to, I find it humorous and a bit moot.

I used to go sky diving with a friend before I became a mother.  Once I was a mother I organized a sky diving trip for a group of us on the weekend.  From Monday to Friday...every day in the mail I recieved funeral insurance and life insurance notices.

Call me a fatalist....but I called off the weekend trip.  And went out and bought some life insurance LOL.  Never had any mail relating to death every since LMAO

• FromAtoZ
    July 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

So very sad.

No, women, or mothers, should not 'avoid' any thing any more than any given man or, 'father', should.

It isn't up to me, or any one else, to determine what job another person takes.  Regardless of the dangers it may entail.  It is up to the individual and their families on the course their lives take.

Being a mother should never rule out any possibility for a woman.  It certainly doesn't seem to do so for the fathers.

• adulation
    July 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

she is the first performer to die in the company's 30 year history, so who could say that it is a dangerous job, anyway??

I think that single parents probably should try to avoid high risk jobs if they can, just because, you know, ther are no other parents for the kids to turn to.   but at the same time ou wouldn't tell a parent not to drive because of the high risks of an accident...

but in general, parents have to do what they have to do to provide for their children.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN