Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift
by IhartU
June 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

article image

A bride started a war of words after two guests bought her a "cheap and embarrassing" gift consisting of candy in a basket.

Kathy Mason, from Hamilton, Ontario, and her boyfriend, created a food hamper for the same-sex couple. It was full of treats including pasta, olive oil, crutons, biscuits, Marshmallow Fluff and Sour Patch Kids.

A card attached to the basket read, "Enjoy…life is delicious."

But the couple was not impressed by the basket, and contacted Mason the next day via text to ask if they had the receipt. 

Mason was offended by the text, and decided she would make the exchange public through The Hamilton Spectator. She believed the gift was "thoughtful and not out of place."

At one point, the brides revealed that it cost $200 to have Mason and her boyfriend attend their wedding.

They said they booked a lakeside venue with catering that cost a total of $34,000. Because Mason only gave her a gift that cost $30, the bride thought she was being disrespectful.

"You ate steak, chicken, booze at a beautiful venue…if anything you should be embarrassed for being so cheap and embarrassing," she said.

The message exchange has since received many comments, mostly by people who agree with the bride.

One wrote, "As a person who has been invited to numerous weddings [and] a firm believer of the saying 'do unto others,' I am always sensitive when it comes to giving a gift."

"If I knew the couple is spending $100/plate, I make sure to give $250 or more not only to cover my and my fiancees dinner but to give the newlyweds a gift as well. I am getting married in September and would be furious if this happened to me."

Reader Victoria agreed, saying, "I have never received a hamper as a gift, again I'm European and we are bred to be very generous."

"Gift baskets are appropriate for showers, birthdays…etc. But in my culture anything less than a $100 per person monetary gift is insulting. I have Greek, Portuguese and other European friends who wholeheartedly agree."

When the married couple spoke to The Hamilton Spectator, they said their argument was likely sparked by cultural differences.

"I don't know what day or century they're living in," one said. 

Sources: Daily Mail, The Spec

Replies

• lovemymini
    June 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

• Healthystart30
    June 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    What is this crap about Europeans being bred to be generous? Lol I had never heard about all this hoopla over gifts until I joined CM. I think the gift is very sweet, the people I know tend to invite people because they are close or relatives, not to get the most expensive gifts. I would never send a note or ask for a receipt for a gift!
  • FromAtoZ
    June 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

What the hell is wrong with people?

This whole idea that throwing a wedding and spending all this money means that every guest should repay you in gifts is insane.

If that is all some one could afford, so be it.  Besides that, there is more thought in to this gift than there is walking in to some store, looking at a register to see what is 'expected' and spending money on some asinine object.

People worry me.

This couple sounds a lot like some of the moms here on CM.  Such a sad lack in character.

• invisibleme
    June 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    You chose to spend an ungodly amount of money on your wedding. It is not the guests responsibility to compensate you with a gift equal to the per person break down. Myself the presence of loved ones means more than any gift.
  • norahsmommy
    June 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    The bride was rude. You don't invite guests expecting them to give you gifts worth hundreds of dollars. Not everyone can afford that. Hell, appropriate attire and cost of getting to a wedding is too much for some. She should be thankful and shut her mouth.
  • codfish
    by codfish
    June 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    How incredibly ill-mannered! YOU choose to spend a fortune on YOUR wedding. Gifts are not meant as payment for attendance to said wedding. The guest sharing that moment in your life should be what you focus on. The tackiness of some is just mind boggling to me.
  • erika9009
    June 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

OMG, I think the bride forgot it's not how much you spend that matters.

Maybe just maybe, the couple could not afford that $200 wine set from Macy's.  It's about sharing the day with the people you care about.  It's not about "what you can get out of it"

• ejsmom4604

This is just greed pure and simple. The gift DH and I got from one of his cousins was an awesomely decorated box for all of the cards we received. I LOVE and keep it close by. She did a beautiful job. I don't care if she spent less than $20 (totally guessing...not sure what she spent and don't care) on it, but the time, the effort, and the thought she put into it is priceless. We didn't invite people because of how much they may give or spend on us, we invited whom we did because we wanted them there to witness and share in our love for each other. 

• tiffyhamm

Damn. Are the guest's gift supposed to make up for what the couple paid for their wedding? I don't know anything about weddings. 

• DaLordsMezNger
    June 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Hmmm.. and all this time I thought the purpose of a wedding was to declare your undying love for your partner in front of family and friends.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN