Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
-Celestial-
Man faces up to year in jail for torn and dirty American flag
June 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM

ADAMS COUNTY, PA -- A man who an Adams County prosecutor described as "basically homeless" faces up to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine for possessing a torn and dirty American flag. 

Under Pennsylvania law it is a crime to show "disrespect" for an American flag. For this crime, Robert S. Forrey has been charged with a third-degree misdemeanor.

State Trooper Ronald Jarvie testified he was on routine patrol when he found Forrey a short distance from the roadway near a red Dodge pickup. Jarvie said he noticed some debris, circled back around and approached the defendant.

The trooper testified he found a large amount of trash at the scene, including VCRs, glass and clothing. He was able to match the defendant's name with mail in the garbage, he testified.

Hanging from a small tree was a dirty flag which the trooper described as "defaced, torn, cut - it looked pretty bad."

Asked by public defender Sean Mott to clarify in what way the flag was defaced, the officer replied, "By the way it was thrown ... it was not folded properly." 

Forrey was arrested for possessing this flag and spent a week and a half in jail so far. The misdemeanor carries up to a year sentence if convicted.

http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_23447173/man-faces-up-90-days-torn-and-dirty

Replies

• IhartU
    by IhartU
    June 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM

OMFG. It's a PIECE OF MATERIAL. Some molesters, thieves and drug dealers get less jail time... how stupid.

• Euphoric
    June 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Ridiculous.
  • mehamil1
    June 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM

This is about him being homeless, not a "defaced flag". Shit like that should not be a crime. It's a piece of fucking cloth. Who gives a rats ass? Why is that a crime when a defaced flag is not hurting anyone and is probably his to begin with? He can't deface his own property? Ever stop to think that it was dirty because he was homeless? What the hell. This is insane. 

• jessilin0113
    June 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Pretty much exactly what I thought. 

Quoting mehamil1:

This is about him being homeless, not a "defaced flag". Shit like that should not be a crime. It's a piece of fucking cloth. Who gives a rats ass? Why is that a crime when a defaced flag is not hurting anyone and is probably his to begin with? He can't deface his own property? Ever stop to think that it was dirty because he was homeless? What the hell. This is insane. 

• mehamil1
    June 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM

If he turns out to be a veteran I'm going to shit myself. 

If it turns out he was given that flag at the funeral of a veteran (as the next of kin) I'm gonna shit myself harder. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

Pretty much exactly what I thought. 

Quoting mehamil1:

• -Celestial-
    June 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Funny Independence Day Ecard: Let's proudly wave our American flags made in China.

• ms-superwoman
    June 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It was probably dirty and torn because he was homeless. If it's such an issue, get him a new flag.

A big piece of dirty cloth doesn't have and less symbolism than a big piece of clean cloth.

• shannonnigans
    June 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    It's a good thing State Trooper Ronald Jarvie caught this. All other crimes in the state having been been solved and the perps prosecuted accordingly, this improper folding, to quote Jarvie, was the last thing left that needed to be addressed. The problem is that now the police have nothing else to do.
  • LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    June 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    I hope someone takes him pro bono and sues that county on this man's behalf.
  • gdiamante
    June 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The Evening SUn also notes that the same stature makes it a crime to use the flag in any kind of advertising. The defense says a lot of businesses in the area would be in trouble if that was enforced.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts