valhallaarwen
Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit
May 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

As you can see the parents have sued even though it is the mother's fault her son is dead, and there were signs posted.  Dumb bitch.  I hate parents like this, they give good parents a bad name.

Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit

By Associated Press,May 23, 2013

PITTSBURGH — The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seek unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. He fell from the wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-23/national/39465992_1_painted-dogs-pittsburgh-zoo-elizabeth-derkosh

Replies

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    May 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I live here, and I totally disagree with them suing. As horrible as it must have been for that mother to watch her son being mauled to death, she bears responsibility for it because she lifted him above the railing in the first place. There are signs all over that exhibit that say do not stand or sit on the railing, etc., yet people routinely do it. She's not the first mother to put her child up on the railing like that. She's just the first one to lose her grip on him and have a tragedy of this nature occur. People fail to realize these are wild animals, whether they are in a zoo or not.

• coronado25
    May 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    16 years ago my ex husband lifted our 2 year old daughter over the rail of the polar bear exhibit at the SF zoo. He wasnt even holding on to her! I went ballistic on him! He called me stupid and crazy and did it again at the same exhibit later that day. I nearly took our daughter to go live with my mom that very day except for someone convinced me that I was overreacting a little. Was I? Stories like this make me think not.
  • MeAndTommyLee
    May 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Seriously?  She's lucky she was not charged with his death IMO.  She put her own child in imminent danger for a photo op.  From reading the article, I am to guess that one dummy following the other has no responsibility for their actions because of the others before them??  Total and utter  irresponsibility and a denial to admit your own guilt.  I hope they lose.

• Woodbabe
    May 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I agree she should be lucky she wasn't charged...dangling her child over wild hungry dogs and then being upset when SHE dropped her kid and they went after him?

• coolmommy2x
    May 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    Hopefully this will be thrown out of court.
  • JTROX
    by JTROX
    May 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Unfortunately, it was parental negligence that caused their son's fall.

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    May 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    I bet she's betting on the zoo settling.

Weapons grade jackahole parents.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I live here, and I totally disagree with them suing. As horrible as it must have been for that mother to watch her son being mauled to death, she bears responsibility for it because she lifted him above the railing in the first place. There are signs all over that exhibit that say do not stand or sit on the railing, etc., yet people routinely do it. She's not the first mother to put her child up on the railing like that. She's just the first one to lose her grip on him and have a tragedy of this nature occur. People fail to realize these are wild animals, whether they are in a zoo or not.

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    May 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    There are not enough words to describe the contempt I have for this woman. I think she should be charged in the death of her son and that the suit should be thrown out.

I am sure that there are some that agree with her suing. Bleh
  • SuperChicken
    May 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Smh.  Suing the zoo because she dropped her own child to the dogs is ridiculous.

• Kaylawv2
    May 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    I think her lawsuit is ridiculous. Her negligence caused her child's death. I've been to this zoo many times, even though it is common sense,there are warning signs everywhere. I think she is looking for someone else to blame make herself feel better.