Goodwoman614
One Christian Bigot’s Take on What Will Happen Now That the Boy Scouts of America Will Admit Gay Youth
May 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM

May 26, 2013
by: 

In the wake of the Boy Scouts of America’s decision to allow gay members, we have basically seen reactions from three different groups of people:

1) You have the people (like me) who are disappointed that the BSA still bans gay scout leaders and atheists. The group took a nice baby step in the right direction, but they are still a bigoted organization as far as we’re concerned.

2) You have the people — relatively few of them, I would think — who are just proud that the BSA finally let in gay scouts. They’re less concerned about the other bans and are just celebrating what they consider a huge step forward.

3) You have the religious conservatives, who think the BSA has stained its reputation by caving in to the public outcry and gave up one of the best things it had going for it.

Regarding this last group… what exactly are they worried about?

Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel Action gives us some insight into the fear:

What’s the next step? Activists now demand that adult men who desire sex with other males (“gay” scout masters) be allowed to take your sons camping overnight. Soon they’ll be insisting that “transgender boys” (girls who wish they were boys) be allowed to join as well.

What a camping trip! Imagine the pup tent. Your son and Jimmy — who’s got a crush on him — along with Billy and Billy’s boyfriend Bobby, all snuggly warm in the middle of nowhere. But make room for Sammy (formerly Suzie) and Sammy’s boyfriend Gary (formerly Gertrude).

Don’t forget to hang the disco ball.

So… implying that gay leaders would molest the children and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes) are automatically going to cuddle up next to their fellow troop members… and throwing in some transphobic comments just for good measure. Way to be rational there. (Edit: I was referring to Cub Scouts not being old enough to want to cuddle. Sorry for the confusion!)

In other words, the Christian Right has no good reason to be worried. All they have are stereotypes rooted in bigotry and their own paranoia. It’s the same thing we see when it comes to marriage equality and it’s the same thing we saw when it came to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

My favorite bit of delusion thinking, though, comes in the form of conservative columnists and commenters who say that the BSA is now a godless organization.

A godless organization that refuses to admit godless people.

There’s some Christian logic for you.

Replies

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    May 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I fall under category 2 right now, but I also would like to see them allow gay leaders as well. I am a Christian and my son is in scouts. We already have had a few non-Christians in the den, and no one has balked at it. They've been very welcoming. But I would imagine there are some other dens/packs who do not share that same welcoming philosophy. 

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    May 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

"...and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes)..."   Teenagers are not "barely old enough to even have crushes".  Teenagers definitely have crushes and much more.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    May 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Whenever there is an organization that uses words such as "liberty" or "freedom" or "family" in its name, they seem to be bigoted and controlling and hypocritical since most of the members sin and do the things they want to legislate against.
  • cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    May 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Quoting JTROX:

"...and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes)..."   Teenagers are not "barely old enough to even have crushes".  Teenagers definitely have crushes and much more.

Those same teenagers are in schools and other community groups and organizations. You (general you) are not protecting your kids from "the gays" by keeping them out of organizations such as the scouts. And I hate to break it to some of you, but there already are gay people in the scouts. They just weren't allowed to tell you about it before. 

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    May 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting JTROX:

Those same teenagers are in schools and other community groups and organizations. You (general you) are not protecting your kids from "the gays" by keeping them out of organizations such as the scouts. And I hate to break it to some of you, but there already are gay people in the scouts. They just weren't allowed to tell you about it before. 

Of course not.  

I'm just pointing out the flaw in the writer's thinking.  They claimed boy scouts were barely old enough to have a crush.  They are absolutely wrong on that point.

• coolmommy2x
    May 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting JTROX:

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    May 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting JTROX:

Of course not.  

I'm just pointing out the flaw in the writer's thinking.  They claimed boy scouts were barely old enough to have a crush.  They are absolutely wrong on that point.

That's why I said "general you," because there are people who think they can shield their kids from gay kids. I know, for a matter of fact, that we have a gay scout in our troop right now. Everyone knows, we just don't talk about it. And even now that he can talk about, no one will care, because we love him for who he is. But some scout troops are a lot more restrictive in their allowances, that's for sure. 

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    May 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We don't have any gay scouts, at least "openly" gay, but we do have a scout that has two moms.  

It will be interesting to see what happens with sleeping arrangements.  Boys and girls have seperate sleeping areas, will they seperate the gay and straight kids too?

Quoting cjsbmom:
    Quoting JTROX:
    Quoting cjsbmom:
    Quoting JTROX:

Of course not.  

That's why I said "general you," because there are people who think they can shield their kids from gay kids. I know, for a matter of fact, that we have a gay scout in our troop right now. Everyone knows, we just don't talk about it. And even now that he can talk about, no one will care, because we love him for who he is. But some scout troops are a lot more restrictive in their allowances, that's for sure.

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    May 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I've wondered about that as well, especially for the camps. 

Quoting JTROX:

We don't have any gay scouts, at least "openly" gay, but we do have a scout that has two moms.  

It will be interesting to see what happens with sleeping arrangements.  Boys and girls have seperate sleeping areas, will they seperate the gay and straight kids too?

Quoting cjsbmom:
    Quoting JTROX:
    Quoting cjsbmom:
    Quoting JTROX:

Of course not.  

• dlkht
    by dlkht
    May 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My question is this... Why do all associations have to be inclusive to everyone? Why cant they just start another association and have their own mission statement and goals? 

Why do gays have to redefine the word marriage?  Why cant they call it a legal partnership? The problem seems to be that in order to be inclusive to everyone you have to opress someone else.  So just make room for both.