Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Mistrial in Jodi Arias Sentencing Case Means the 'Jodi Show' Continues
May 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Mistrial in Jodi Arias Sentencing Case Means the 'Jodi Show' Continues (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

Jodi AriasToday was the day we thought we might finally learn the fate of Jodi Arias, who earlier this month was convicted for the murder of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander. Instead of learning whether she'd be sentenced to death or life in prison, however, the judge declared a mistrial.

According to USA Today, jurors deliberated for 14 hours over three days, but were unable to reach an agreement. When the judge announced the decision this evening, Arias could be seen breathing a sigh of relief; most of the rest of us are left reeling with the realization that this case will drag out even longer. This is means we have to start over again. This means more Jodi of whom we long, long ago had more than our fill.

The trial began January 2, and it has dominated the media since. We can only imagine how painful it has been for Alexander's family to watch the details of their son's death publicized and in many cases sensationalized.

So as much as we wanted the "Jodi Show" to be over, it's Alexander's family, who must have really felt a blow this afternoon. According to reports, one female juror mouthed "sorry" to the family as they cried after the announcement. Nothing will bring their son back, but to see justice served would at least bring about some closure. Instead, now they must wait longer, watching the trail drag out further.

The good news is that her conviction cannot be overturned. She has been declared a murderer, and that does not just change. It's now up to the prosecutor to decide if they will try for the death penalty again. If so, a new jury will convene July 18. If not (or if a second jury can't reach a decision), then Arias will spend life in prison. In a written statement, via ABC News, Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said as of yet they're undecided as to what they'll do:

We appreciate the jury's work in the guilt and aggravation phases of the trial and now we will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be. As of this point in time, the court has set a status conference for June 20 and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase. Because, for purposes of a jury determination on punishment, this is still a pending matter, there will be no further comment.

That means more waiting. More Jodi. More heartache for Alexander's grieving family.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Are you surprised the jury was unable to reach agreement in the sentencing of Jodi Arias?

Replies

• Donna6503
    May 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Yeah, I wish the DA would just accept the life sentence. So we wouldn't have to hear more about this story.
  • dawnie1
    by dawnie1
    May 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I just can't believe this woman was not given the death penalty. Maybe on the sentencing retrial.

• Lizardannie1966
    May 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Where she'll end up staying is not a palatial place IF she does wind up with LWOP.

An ex-boyfriend of my oldest Dd works out at this particular womens prison where Jodi is going to end up. He's a security guard and has described to Sam what he sees on a routine basis there.

As an Arizonan especially, and seeing our tax dollars gobbled up for the past 4+ months by this trial, it's disheartening to find out it could continue to go on for a little while longer.

But my concern is the toll it's going to have on his family and friends, who many have stayed in the court room for the majority if not all of her trial. They just want to see this end. Who wouldn't?

Jodi is a narcissist, among many things and this really IS "The Jodi Show" in her eyes.

Disturbing to say the least.

• MeAndTommyLee
    May 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The hardest part of this trial is over.  Finally, the lies were rejected and she was convicted of the highest possible charge.  Her receiving life without parole would be satisfactory to me, but I am not TA's family and I know they desire the DP in this case.  My biggest concern now is that she never be released.  If the sentencing is let up by the judge, and  should another jury fail to reach a decision, it is a possibly that the judge  could sentence her to 25 years to life; thus opening up an opportunity to be paroled.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Where she'll end up staying is not a palatial place IF she does wind up with LWOP.

An ex-boyfriend of my oldest Dd works out at this particular womens prison where Jodi is going to end up. He's a security guard and has described to Sam what he sees on a routine basis there.

As an Arizonan especially, and seeing our tax dollars gobbled up for the past 4+ months by this trial, it's disheartening to find out it could continue to go on for a little while longer.

But my concern is the toll it's going to have on his family and friends, who many have stayed in the court room for the majority if not all of her trial. They just want to see this end. Who wouldn't?

Jodi is a narcissist, among many things and this really IS "The Jodi Show" in her eyes.

• Lizardannie1966
    May 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It's almost frightening and frustrating to consider that yes, if this continues to be a problem, she could face parole.

However, I would imagine if that does become the case, his parent's and family will be there at ever parole board hearing to help ensure that his murderer is not released.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The hardest part of this trial is over.  Finally, the lies were rejected and she was convicted of the highest possible charge.  Her receiving life without parole would be satisfactory to me, but I am not TA's family and I know they desire the DP in this case.  My biggest concern now is that she never be released.  If the sentencing is let up by the judge, and  should another jury fail to reach a decision, it is a possibly that the judge  could sentence her to 25 years to life; thus opening up an opportunity to be paroled.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

• TattoomamaPink
    May 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I think its a bunch of crap they just couldn't give her DP because that's what she deserve she makes everyone believe shes nut-so!!! but she is a liar she makes me sick to my stomach and to let her do all the interviews that she did is just disrespectful to Travis Alexander's family!!! I'm from Arizona and moved about 4 years ago to Ohio and whats sad the court system has always been messed up and will never change I cant stand Arizona as far as I can throw them lol sorta speak!! but I hope the next jury they get in there sticks her with the DP!!!!!!!

• MeAndTommyLee
    May 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I would most certainly appeal to the parole board each and every time she came up for it.  Her crime defied cruelty, and was exceptionaly brutal.  She's dangerous, manipulative and has predatory issues that frighten the hell out of me. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

It's almost frightening and frustrating to consider that yes, if this continues to be a problem, she could face parole.

However, I would imagine if that does become the case, his parent's and family will be there at ever parole board hearing to help ensure that his murderer is not released.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

• Lizardannie1966
    May 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I could not have written this better and I totally agree.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I would most certainly appeal to the parole board each and every time she came up for it.  Her crime defied cruelty, and was exceptionaly brutal.  She's dangerous, manipulative and has predatory issues that frighten the hell out of me. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

• Basherte
    May 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Not really. There are a lot of people out there that don't agree with the death penalty.

• Aestas
    by Aestas
    May 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM

So, apparently I've been living under a rock and hadn't heard about this case until recently. I've read a few articles to try to get the basics, but it's hard to get a full understanding from that.

Why do you say she's a narcissist? Not diasgreeing, I just don't know enough about the case or her.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts