bamababe1975
Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?
May 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Replies

• Euphoric
    May 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

No

• SuperChicken
    May 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sometimes, yes.    If a company is one I find distasteful, I don't support them with my money.

• illogicalkat
    May 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM

It depends on the policy.

But usually, yes.

• katy_kay08
    May 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Well I guess you could call it a boycott if you wanted.  I am selective about the companies where I shop, and if their policies go against the things I find important I don't shop with them.  I do not actively try to limit their business I just choose to not give them money to help fund  the programs policies I find reprehensible.  

• parentalrights1
    May 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    It's not about who they are marketing to. It's about the point blank statements that he doesn't want to see uncool kids or fat people in his clothes. You can market to a certain audience without acting like a high school mean girl in the process.

And chic fil a was giving corporate profit to anti gay groups. They didnt simply hold christian views (which is what do many people want you to believe is hated) but they actively use profits to try and push a religious agenda. Where do they get those profits? The customers. Therefore people didnt want to indirectly find bigot groups
  • FromAtoZ
    May 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Not necessarily.

As far as A&F, I have never shopped there.  Obviously not for myself and for my daughters.  Never.

I never will.  

It's been years that I have disliked this company and all they 'stand for'.  

• gammie
    by gammie
    May 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Abercrombie has always had small sizes, when I have gone in there I have shopped in the Man's area. lol

It's if for pre-teens from the sizes I have seen.

But I have boycott a business over policies

• IhartU
    by IhartU

I try to. Recently the school my daughter goes to had a fundraiser Chik  Fil A night and I told them I'd like to support the school without supporting anti-gay organizations in the process. I told them that they go on and on about being 'anti-bully' and then give money to a company who gives funds to organizations that work to deny gay people rights- which IS bullying and I wasn't very happy about it.

• MeAndTommyLee

No,. Business owners need a stratagy to stay afloat and separate them the rest. It's marketing . I see nothing wrong with it.

• coolmommy2x
    May 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Only if I know their policies and disagree with them. I don't eat at CFA or Cracker Barrel. Never shopped at A&F so that doesn't affect my shopping habits (not sure his comments bother me...I'm on the fence).