Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Della529
Public Housing Authority instituting ban on smoking
May 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

Thousands of people in Jacksonville are finding out they will no longer be able to smoke in their own homes.

The people live in public housing, and a new rule will ban smoking inside their apartments.

April Cain and her family live in Blodgett Villas near downtown. She recently got a notice that says starting in October, she won't be allowed to light up inside her home.

"I think it's wrong," Cain said. "Just because it's run by the government, we should not be told what to do in our own house."

But that's exactly what the Jacksonville Housing Authority is planning to do. Smoking will not be allowed in the complexes the city owns.

"We are going to enforce it at the site level," said Frederick McKinnies, of the Housing Authority. "We have 23 sites of public housing in Jacksonville, and each manager will be required to monitor the situation. It's obvious when people smoke in their units, and some people are going to be reported by other residents, of course, and we will take the appropriate action."

That action will mean warnings and eventually could lead to evictions.

"But our purpose this first year is to be very flexible and work with the residents who want to quit smoking to provide assistance to them to do so," McKinnies said.

As expected, the news of the ban is getting mixed reactions.

"It don't bother me," resident Delores Ardley said. "A lot of that smoke, it irritates me when I be around it. So basically it don't bother me."

Derek Carson is a smoker who lives in a high rise. For him to smoke, he will have to go down 15 floors.

"I understand why they are doing it," Carson said. "I feel for people who don't smoke that have to live with people who do smoke, but still, there has got to be another way around it. And I don't know what the answer is, but I am willing to try anything."

Smoking areas will be set up outside, and for those who have a patio or balcony, they will be able to step outside. The Housing Authority will meet with residents later this month to go over the new policy, but some are saying it's just taking away their rights.

"If somebody wants to smoke inside, they should be able to smoke inside," resident Christie Krestalude said.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/smoking-banned-in-jacksonville-public-housing/-/475880/19972712/-/knw1rwz/-/index.html

Replies

• chloedee
    May 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Lots of landlords ban smoking indoors. If you want to smoke in your apartment or home, own it yourself. Until then, the person renting to you gets to make certain rules. 

• Tag3.0
    by Tag3.0
    May 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Good, It's not their propert anyway, they should smoke out side. It ruins the property overtime, which is not good anyway, that is more money that has to be spent on renovation.

• Della529
    May 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

What about Constitutionally?  Do you think these people lose their right to privacy?

Quoting chloedee:

Lots of landlords ban smoking indoors. If you want to smoke in your apartment or home, own it yourself. Until then, the person renting to you gets to make certain rules. 

• Della529
    May 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Same questions:

What about Constitutionally?  Do you think these people lose their right to privacy?

Quoting Tag3.0:

Good, It's not their propert anyway, they should smoke out side. It ruins the property overtime, which is not good anyway, that is more money that has to be spent on renovation.

• chloedee
    May 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

By having to abide by a rule in a lease? No. If they don't like it, they could always move. 

Quoting Della529:

Quoting chloedee:

• srichtermom
    May 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

A lot of apartment builders or rental homes ban smoking indoors.  The cost to get the smell of smoke out of carpets and interior walls is crazy.  We had a renter who smoked without our permission and we had to repaint the entire house and replace all the flooring.  There are always terms to leases and if people don't want to abide by the rules, they have the option to find alternative housing.

• Tag3.0
    by Tag3.0
    May 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

The constiution mentions nothing of smoking in someone lse's property. If rental properties are allowed to have stipulation and regulations than so can the government. They are providing a service, at low cost to individuals, they must follow all rules while on government property. How is this no different. If these individuals want to smoke, tell them to buy their own home or move out.

Quoting Della529:

Same questions:

Quoting Tag3.0:

• Tag3.0
    by Tag3.0
    May 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I absolutely love this post, thank you for posting. Its a nice break away from the media driven ones.

• Talee
    by Talee
    May 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Honestly smoking in a structure can cause all kinds of damage. Besides the health kinds of things, there is tar that builds up on the walls and streams down when there is moisture, there is the smell that builds up as well. I smoke myself (hate it, but its true)...why wouldnt a landlord NOT want that extra problem? I don't blame them.

Its not like you're smoking a chicken or turkey every day in the house...am i making sense?

• tooptimistic
    May 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

No different than a no pet policy.   Its not a big deal.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts