Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Jack_Squat
FB post - perfect example of white privilege
May 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

Replies

• Emilytrademark
    May 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Yes, those who need the minority programs are the ones who want equal opportunities. If equal opportunity truly existed, there wouldn't be a need for "minority" based programs.

• Jack_Squat
    May 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Precicely. 

WHY don't people get that? 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Yes, those who need the minority programs are the ones who want equal opportunities. If equal opportunity truly existed, there wouldn't be a need for "minority" based programs.

• Emilytrademark
    May 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Severe lack of perspective, and possibly education. My Facebook is riddled with these kinds of people, I've been slowly weeding them out. Unfortunately, some are family members....

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Precicely. 

WHY don't people get that? 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

• LAHnTAH0812
    May 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Opportunities DO exist equally, as far as race is concerned. That's why there are successful people of all races. Poverty affects opportunity far worse than race.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

• krysstizzle
    May 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

And history and institutionalized racism affect which races tend to suffer more from poverty. 

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

Opportunities DO exist equally, as far as race is concerned. That's why there are successful people of all races. Poverty affects opportunity far worse than race.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

• cherlygirlie
    May 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I actually get annoyed that there is even the question on ANY type of paperwork regarding race (aside from medical, for obvious reasons). There will never be equality until we stop asking

• krysstizzle
    May 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Well, good luck with this post. :)

I agree with you but have no tolerance for bullshit and ignorance today, so I'll wish you luck and dart out of this one!

• Jack_Squat
    May 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Unfortunately, poverty and minorities generally go hand in hand. Obviously, there are exceptions as in any case, however your chances of being born into poverty as a minority are drastically highter than a non-minority. According to statistics, opportunity is NOT equal across the board. 

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

• Emilytrademark
    May 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

This is what I was trying to say, but I am pregnant and all of my brain blood is in my belly :)

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Unfortunately, poverty and minorities generally go hand in hand. Obviously, there are exceptions as in any case, however your chances of being born into poverty as a minority are drastically highter than a non-minority. According to statistics, opportunity is NOT equal across the board. 

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

• Jack_Squat
    May 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Lol. :)

I found it interesting that a minority group holds the highest percentage for college graduates - Asians. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, good luck with this post. :)

I agree with you but have no tolerance for bullshit and ignorance today, so I'll wish you luck and dart out of this one!

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN