Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
Paul Ryan SUPPORTS adoption by gay couples, BUT...
May 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

He doesn't support gay marriage.

wait, what?

Paul Ryan Reverses Stance On Gay Adoption

link and video

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 05/01/2013 9:29 am EDT

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Monday during a town hall event in Janesville, Wis., that he has changed his position on gay couples adopting children, WKOW reports.

An audience member at the event asked Ryan why he doesn't support same-sex marriage. Ryan said that while he continues to believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman, he now regrets voting in 1999 to ban same-sex couples in the District of Columbia from adopting children.

"Adoption, I’d vote differently these days. That was I think a vote I took in my first term, 1999 or 2000," Ryan said. "I do believe that if there are children who are orphans who do not have a loving person or couple, I think if a person wants to love and raise a child they ought to be able to do that. Period. I would vote that way."

Ryan, who served as 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's running mate, added that he had changed his position on same-sex adoptions years ago.

Click over to ThinkProgress to watch the video of Ryan's answer.

Romney's stance on the issue has come under scrutiny as well. In an interview with Fox News last May, Romney said he believed it was "fine" for gay couples to adopt children, an opinion he also held while serving as governor of Massachusetts. However, he later appeared to walk back his support, saying that he would only "acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

Replies

• Elkamelka
    May 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

They all just talk out of both sides of their mouths.  How could anyone possibly keep up? 

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    May 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

GOP supporters, where are you?

• OwlNuggets
    May 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

the GOP would do ANYTHING for votes. 

• talia-mom
    May 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Did he have kids at the time? Parenthood can change a perspective.
  • tonijustine
    May 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

It must be hard for politicians. They are stuck with taking a stand and not allowed to change their minds. If they do, they are flip floppers, currying fair or speaking out of both sides of their mouth. If they grow up and change their opinions because of experience or new data or somebody making a convincing argument, they are stuck.

i mean, how many of us can say we have the same view of the world we did 14 years ago?

I don't find this problematic. If there are kids who need a family and the couple chosen is gay and will give thm a good home and love, that is good for the child. I don't have a problem with same sex Mrriage, but I can acknowledge that they are two separate issues and supporting one does not necessitate supporting the other.

• coolmommy2x
    May 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    I totally agree with you.

Quoting tonijustine:

It must be hard for politicians. They are stuck with taking a stand and not allowed to change their minds. If they do, they are flip floppers, currying fair or speaking out of both sides of their mouth. If they grow up and change their opinions because of experience or new data or somebody making a convincing argument, they are stuck.

i mean, how many of us can say we have the same view of the world we did 14 years ago?

I don't find this problematic. If there are kids who need a family and the couple chosen is gay and will give thm a good home and love, that is good for the child. I don't have a problem with same sex Mrriage, but I can acknowledge that they are two separate issues and supporting one does not necessitate supporting the other.

• Euphoric
    May 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

bump

• DestinyHLewis
    May 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I am not sure why this is any more news than when Obama flipped on his stance for gay marriage. Maybe neither really flipped. Maybe they both felt the way they do and did not come out and say it for political reasons until the felt they could. 

• chloedee
    May 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    So gay couples get to raise children, but they don't get to access the hundreds of benefits that marriage confers, which compromises their ability to optimally and most easily raise a family? Nice.
  • toomanypoodles
    May 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM

I agree.  I changed my stance on gay adoption a year or so ago, but still do not support SSM. 

Children are in need of homes, if a gay couple wants to love them and give them what they need, I think the child should have that need filled, regardless. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts