Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
What's the real reason you don't want your child to get an IEP?
April 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Has your child's team of teachers ever suggested your child get tested or be provided with an IEP? If you declined to get tested or get an IEP for your child, what were your reasons.

If your child has an IEP what were some of the talking points that helped you decide to utilize an IEP?

Replies

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    May 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

She goes to alternative school (through the public education system) because she would be quickly crushed in regular middle school. So it was either put her in middle school and basically throw her to the wolves and watch her love for life and learning die, or put her in the alternative school and transport her to the middle school in the middle of the day so she can get to her iep classes. Hell of an option if you ask me :(

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting kailu1835:

I have another reason to share. A friend of mine has a daughter who has had an iep since pre-k. Now she is extremely limited on schooling/work options because the state requires that she get her kid to her iep classes every day. She is a single mom and constructing work around getting her daughter from one school to another in the middle of the day is ridiculous. She wishes she had never gotten her the iep and just gotten tutors.

I don't understand how a district can demand that parents transport a student between schools in one day for classes. How bizarre. Sounds like they lack funding and want to be sure she misses meetings and classes so they can drop her kid.

Right now I work as an interrelated special ed teacher. I just accepted a position in which I will visit multiple students in their schools. I do go to the middle school 2 days a week now, but next year I'll likely be at three different schools every day. I'll likely visit the alternative schools with students who were formerly enrolled in public school. I live in a small community, though. Still, we have 2 high schools, 2 middle schools and 8 elementary schools.

• kailu1835
    May 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    It would be great if her iep teacher could travel to the different schools, and maybe my friends daughter wouldn't need the class every single day. As it is, is she misses part of her math/science class because of the iep classes, and so misses out. We only have one high school in our district, and I think just one middle school, but three elementary schools.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting kailu1835:

She goes to alternative school (through the public education system) because she would be quickly crushed in regular middle school. So it was either put her in middle school and basically throw her to the wolves and watch her love for life and learning die, or put her in the alternative school and transport her to the middle school in the middle of the day so she can get to her iep classes. Hell of an option if you ask me :(

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting kailu1835:

I have another reason to share. A friend of mine has a daughter who has had an iep since pre-k. Now she is extremely limited on schooling/work options because the state requires that she get her kid to her iep classes every day. She is a single mom and constructing work around getting her daughter from one school to another in the middle of the day is ridiculous. She wishes she had never gotten her the iep and just gotten tutors.

I don't understand how a district can demand that parents transport a student between schools in one day for classes. How bizarre. Sounds like they lack funding and want to be sure she misses meetings and classes so they can drop her kid.

Right now I work as an interrelated special ed teacher. I just accepted a position in which I will visit multiple students in their schools. I do go to the middle school 2 days a week now, but next year I'll likely be at three different schools every day. I'll likely visit the alternative schools with students who were formerly enrolled in public school. I live in a small community, though. Still, we have 2 high schools, 2 middle schools and 8 elementary schools.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN