Veni.Vidi.Vici.
Are you consciously religious?
April 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Or has your religion been indoctrinated into you?

If you're not religious, when did you make the concious choice not to be?

Please choose one
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 12% - I practice the religion I was raised into
  2. 22% - I practice the religion that I chose
  3. 14% - I left the religion that I was raised in because it didn't mke sense to me
  4. 17% - I'm not a religious person
  5. 15% - I don't believe in God
  6. 3% - I'm looking for a religion that makes sense to me
  7. 14% - other

Replies

• PinkParadox
    April 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    I voted other. I'm Deist, which is a general belief system...but I wouldn't really classify it as a religion. It was not the religion I was raised in, nor the only thing I have studied.
  • Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    April 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

More than one of those apply to me. However, I practice the path that makes the most sense and called to me. 

I left the RCC at 16

• Peanutx3
    April 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    I technically practice the religion I was raised in but I am not religious.
  • soonergirl980
    April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

This is me. I was raised Christian, I believe in the Christian God and the Bible, but I'm not overly religioius in that I don't attend church and I do/believe things that wouldn't really qualify me as a "good" Christian.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I technically practice the religion I was raised in but I am not religious.

• Sisteract
    April 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Raised RCC- schooled in the faith for 16 years.

No longer practicing. Have studied other faith groups and have finally accepted that the Golden Rule works for me.

I am totally accepting of others' beliefs as long as those folks are not attempting to cram those beliefs down my throat. I will call out a hypocrite if needed and do NOT want individual faith groups inferring or co-mingling with government on any level.

• AlekD
    by AlekD
    April 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    I wasnt raised in a particular religion. I guess we were vaguely Christian but it wasnt something we discussed as a family. Became pagan in middle school and practiced that until about two years ago when I converted and was recieved into the Catholic Church. My family thinks i'm nuts :D
  • Lizardannie1966
    April 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I do not practice the religion I was raised in, which is Pentecostal.

I am unsure of God's existence, which my understanding is more akin to being Agnostic.

I do believe that a man named Jesus Christ existed, lived and was a remarkable teacher and human being. I also believe he probably had a family of his own. Just makes sense to me.

I do not take the Bible as literal fact and see it more as symbolic and metaphoric.

Sooo...not sure what religion my beliefs fall under. lol

• katy_kay08
    April 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I'm not consciously religious.  I was raised a lax Lutheran.  My mother was not a fan of the church back then so spent a few months each year trying to find a fit for herself and us.  I identified as Lutheran as that is the denomination of my family.  I joined and regularly attended church in my early 20s.  

I conciously left religion behind when I realized that depending on it was preventing me from taking a proactive role in turning my life around.  

• MommyBee12808
    April 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    I was raised Catholic but now I'm an atheist.
  • desertlvn
    April 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I was raised without a religion(something my mom regrets). When I was 18 I started seeking spiritual fulfillment. I was repelled by mainstream religions save Buddhism. I soaked Buddhism up, went to group meditations, learning workshops, read every book on the subject I could find. I eventually was turned off by all the rituals. 

Today I relate to Buddhist morality, but am otherwise completely turned off by religion. I am a deeply moral person without a faith.