Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
The weed killer Roundup has been linked to diabetes, autism, obesity, heart disease, and cancer
by IhartU
April 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Roundup linked to diabetes, autism, obesity, heart disease, cancer and more

We have been led to believe that Roundup is minimally toxic to humans, but is that really true?
Thu, Apr 25 2013 at 4:03 PM

Photo: Tobyotter/Flickr

One of the things that drives me crazy about living in the city is watching how city workers carelessly spray weeds in public parks, along the sidewalk, and anywhere else they deem weeds unacceptable. As a mother of young children, I don't appreciate the use of weed killers such as Roundup in public areas.

Granted, I have an aversion to chemicals in general, but a recent, peer-reviewed scientific paper that links Roundup to gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer's disease makes me feel that I'm right to voice my concerns
You can read the abstract and download the PDF of the study, which was published in the journal Entropy. Here are a few takeaways.
  • Glyphosate is the active ingredients in Roundup, the worlds' most popular herbicide.
  • While the industry claims that it is minimally toxic to humans, this study argues otherwise.
  • Residues of glyphosates are found in much of the Western diet.
  • Glyphosates inhibit cytochrome enzymes, which play crucial roles in the body, including the detoxification of xenobiotics. This is an overlooked toxicity issue of Roundup.
  • Because glyphosates have this effect on cytochrome enzymes, it enhances the damaging effects of other foodborne chemical residues and environmental toxins.
  • The harmful effects of glyphosates manifest slowly, and over time they damage cellular systems throughout the body.
  • The interference with cytochrome enzymes has a profound effect on our gut biosynthesis, and our serum sulfate transport, which has severe consequences such as gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease.
In simple terms, the study is saying that traces of Roundup can be found in foods and that Roundup may make our bodies more susceptible to other environmental toxins.
This is sobering news.
If you have to, I recommend that you choose weeds over toxins in your yard. It breaks my heart to see weed killer sprayed in yards where young children will play. I am going to be looking into some natural weed killer solutions, and I'll let you know what I find.

Replies

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    April 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

"Minimally Toxic" is still toxic. Just sayin'.

• Sisteract
    April 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

And Monsanto. Not surprised at all.

• LindaClement
    April 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The same kind of research has been done about smoking, cheese, toast, bbq'd meat, smog, dairy products, paper, plastics, wood smoke, and purified fertilizers.

Meta-analysis of research highlights and amplifies flaws in each study, in geometrical mathematical ways that are not well understood by people who don't specialize in mathematics.

While this is a delightfully-heartwrenching piece, it's fundamental lack of facts (like, say, dramatic increases in the diseases that have been lumped into a pile in the 'results') make it hyperbole rather than convincing.

• LindaClement
    April 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Actually... it's not.

In fact, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of the term 'toxic.'

Toxin is in the dose. Period.

Water is toxic in high dosages. It is not 'still toxic' in reasonable doses.

The most toxic spider venom on the planet is from Daddy Long-legs. Which is hilariously irrelevant because they make so little of it they can't kill a gerbil with a bite.

Quoting GLWerth:

• kameka
    by kameka
    April 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Nope

http://insects.about.com/od/noninsectarthropods/f/daddylongvenom.htm

Quoting LindaClement:

Actually... it's not.

The most toxic spider venom on the planet is from Daddy Long-legs. Which is hilariously irrelevant because they make so little of it they can't kill a gerbil with a bite.

Quoting GLWerth:

• LindaClement
    April 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Being able to 'harm a human being' has no bearing on the toxicity of the venom. 

Quoting kameka:

Nope

Quoting LindaClement:

Actually... it's not.

Quoting GLWerth:

• kameka
    by kameka
    April 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Ok, how about this:

"Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true."

From http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Quoting LindaClement:

Being able to 'harm a human being' has no bearing on the toxicity of the venom. 

Quoting kameka:

Nope

Quoting LindaClement:

Actually... it's not.

Quoting GLWerth:

• momtoscott
    April 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I am always glad of an excuse for the weeds in my backyard.  It's scary to think about what we may be doing to the human genome for the sake of glossy lawns, cleaner clothes, and all the rest of it.  

• Goodwoman614
    April 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Here's what annoys me about articles like this: the vast majority of people reading it do not know what the hell cytochrome enzymes are, or wtf gut biosynthesis is...or serum sulfate...etcetcetc. 

The sad fact is, most Americans lack a working understanding of basic scientific principles that are necessary to understand anything that requires such.

And then there are the insufferable types who come into a post like this, throwing obscurities of their own, in an attempt to come across as oh-so-knowledgeable. 

Barf,

and barf.

• quickbooksworm
    April 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Poison is bad for us?  You don't say!  I never understand why Americans need a study to tell us poison is bad for us then argue with the results.  This should be common sense.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN