Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
Challenge to Christians
by IhartU
April 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Challenge to Christians: Wear an Atheist T-Shirt and Gauge Reactions

The Atheist Advocate proposes a challenge to Christians:

I often hear Christians claim that they have been persecuted throughout history and they are still being persecuted today. I don't think they know the meaning of the word! So, I'm issuing this challenge. You may choose to challenge your Christian friends as well.

Wear an Atheist shirt for a week (wash it once in a while!) everywhere you go, NOT covered up with another shirt. Allowing the public to see it clearly. If a person comments (friends, family, church members, strangers) you're not allowed to divulge which religion you actually are, or explain yourself in any way. You must only listen to what they say and respond with "I'd rather not talk about it!"

Even though it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, I would wear the Christian shirt with the same rules for the same week.

At the end of that week, who do you think would have a clearer understand of the meaning of the word persecution?

Bonus points if you do it in the South.

April 25, 2013 By

Replies

• Generica
    April 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Interesting! I've often thought of wearing a hijab to the mall here and see what kinds of stink eye I get.

• Peanutx3
    April 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I know it can happen but American Christians don't, maybe can't understand what real persecution is.  There MAY be some minor Christian persecution in this country but until you live outside the country you won't experience the fear for your life persecution that many people from other religions feel in our country.  

• ..MoonShine..
    April 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I would love to see a Christian do this and write about their experience. Christians in this country really have no idea what it's like to be persecuted for their faith. To fear for their lives and safety (and the lives and safety of their families). Right now, in the Pagan community, many of us are watching the story of Kyrja Withers. She is a very open Pagan author and in recent weeks, she has been shot at in her home and just this Monday, had two bottle bombs thrown at her house. This is after the harassment had already been an ongoing thing. It's horrible. I'd love to know the last time, in the US, someone was shot at because they are a Christian. 

• IhartU
    by IhartU
    April 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I would love to see a Christian do this and write about their experience. Christians in this country really have no idea what it's like to be persecuted for their faith. To fear for their lives and safety (and the lives and safety of their families). Right now, in the Pagan community, many of us are watching the story of Kyrja Withers. She is a very open Pagan author and in recent weeks, she has been shot at in her home and just this Monday, had two bottle bombs thrown at her house. This is after the harassment had already been an ongoing thing. It's horrible. I'd love to know the last time, in the US, someone was shot at because they are a Christian. 

I wonder why this story isn't on the national news? I bet if it were a christian author being harassed, it would be...

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    April 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Not cool... and of course it's not national news.. she isn't part of the majority

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    April 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Not a christian, but I would wear the Atheist shirt (far from an atheist... does that count?) 

I would wager I would get the same reactions that I generally get anyway (with a pentacle and my tattoo)

• toomanypoodles
    April 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM

No.

I am not a liar, and no, I will not deny my Christian faith. 

You sure like this kind of garbage, don't you, OP? 

• shannonnigans
    April 27, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    It wouldn't even have to say Atheist. It could merely say "I support Atheists" or even I'm OK with atheists". See what happens.
  • pixie92
    by pixie92
    April 27, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    umm it didnt say wear a t shirt that said im an athiest. It also said not to lie. So how is it denying your faith or lying?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

No.

• toomanypoodles
    April 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Quoting pixie92:

umm it didnt say wear a t shirt that said im an athiest. It also said not to lie. So how is it denying your faith or lying?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

No.

For me, as a Christian, to put on a shirt proclaiming "Atheist" would be a lie. 

It doesn't have to say "I am".....just "atheist" would be a proclamation.  Why would I want to do that?

I will proudly wear the one proclaiming Christian though. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN