soccer_mom1999
An 8th grader, in my home town, was handcuffed and hauled off to jail for wearing this
April 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Replies

• Rubberbiscuit
    April 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

There's not a lot of information here.  A fight, like a fist fight?  If so, then I don't think it was his shirt which caused him to be arrested, it was the fight.  If it was only because of the shirt, that's wrong, but it doesn't really make sense that he would be cuffed and arrested because of a shirt.   

• romalove
    April 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Do you have a news story for this?

I can understand if it is against school code for him to have been sent home or requested to change his shirt.

Handcuffed and jailed???

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    April 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Sounds like he went to jail over a fight, although the fight itself may have started over his shirt. Can you post the story? Need details.
  • SilverSterling
    April 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Is this on any other News Source other then Fox? They tend to over play things (while I am well aware other sources downplay) I want something to balance out the bs before I form an opinion

• PinkButterfly66
    April 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I hope his family sues.  That is a violation of 1st amendment rights.  I don't care if "gun image" t-shirts are banned.  Have the kid turn the shirt inside out, don't arrest him.  If the kid refused, then send his ass to the principal's office to wait for his parents to come take his ass home.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is the same state that the principal threatened with contacting the college she'd been accepted to and tell them of her "bad character" by contacting ACLU about the religious backed sex-ed abstinence/shaming assembly that the school held.  

• PinkButterfly66
    April 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virginia-teen-arrested-wearing-nra-shirt-school/story?id=19017896#.UXZ2jyvF3lM

Quoting SilverSterling:

Is this on any other News Source other then Fox? They tend to over play things (while I am well aware other sources downplay) I want something to balance out the bs before I form an opinion

• SilverSterling
    April 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Thank you!!! 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virginia-teen-arrested-wearing-nra-shirt-school/story?id=19017896#.UXZ2jyvF3lM

Quoting SilverSterling:

• LilliesValley
    April 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    The news story associated with this sucks but assuming that it was strictly just the shirt and there is no school policy against it then I guess he shouldn't be arrested or really have anything happen. But I do think it's in bad taste but a lot of clothes are in bad taste and are still allowed at school. Shrug.
  • cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    April 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM

From what I'm reading, he was cuffed and taken to jail for fighting. It doesn't say whether that fight was started by the shirt he was wearing or not. 

I'm not going to get into his constitutional rights to free speech. Some schools have dress codes, as do some workplaces. If that school had a dress code and he violated it, then he is at fault here, plain and simple. 

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    April 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Actually, it isn't. If the school had a dress code, then he was required to follow it. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I hope his family sues.  That is a violation of 1st amendment rights.  I don't care if "gun image" t-shirts are banned.  Have the kid turn the shirt inside out, don't arrest him.  If the kid refused, then send his ass to the principal's office to wait for his parents to come take his ass home.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is the same state that the principal threatened with contacting the college she'd been accepted to and tell them of her "bad character" by contacting ACLU about the religious backed sex-ed abstinence/shaming assembly that the school held.