futureshock
In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.
April 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD

Replies

• dawnnamarie
    April 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM
    Im sorry for your loss. but, How did she die because of "people like me?" She could have gotten more education. And there are plenty of companies that sell insurance to those who don't get offered insurance through an employer.
    While I ultimately don't want anyone to perish, I fully believe in survival of the fittest.
    I take care of 4 people. And those are the ones who matter to me. I should not be financially responsible for anyone outside of my family.

Quoting Bookwormy:

This topic and people like you always get me riled up.

Let me tell you a true story. A woman I knew very well left an abusive man with her DD. She ultimately had to work 3 jobs, none of which provided health insurance. She literally worked herself into an early grave, dying at 47yo, when her DD was only 23yo. She was working poor and no one was working hard to help her except her, so she died because of people like you, who don't want to take care of anyone but themselves.

That dead woman was my mother who died over 19 years ago. Thanks for your acts of loving kindness, not.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I had 1300 taken out of my last biweekly paycheck for taxes. And it makes me irate to know that money goes to some of the programs in this country.

I busted my butt and SACRIFICED to get by while I was a single mother going to school. So I know it can be done. Therefore, I don't want to pay for others to be irresponsible, lazy, unhealthy, uneducated, etc... Not my problem.

I've also maintained the same weight for 10+ years, through exercise and hard work. I take the time to provide a healthy existence for my family. And I pay for MY OWN healthcare.

Grrrr.... This topic always gets me riled up. Sorry, vent over.

• Bookwormy
    April 22, 2013 at 2:49 AM
    She had a BA in elementary education. She couldn't afford to go back to school. She couldn't afford an individual policy either. Perhaps you, like the physician in the OP, don't understand poverty or the working poor. She was working poor.

People who believe in survival of the fittest in terms of humans make me sick to my stomach.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Im sorry for your loss. but, How did she die because of "people like me?" She could have gotten more education. And there are plenty of companies that sell insurance to those who don't get offered insurance through an employer.

While I ultimately don't want anyone to perish, I fully believe in survival of the fittest.

I take care of 4 people. And those are the ones who matter to me. I should not be financially responsible for anyone outside of my family.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Let me tell you a true story. A woman I knew very well left an abusive man with her DD. She ultimately had to work 3 jobs, none of which provided health insurance. She literally worked herself into an early grave, dying at 47yo, when her DD was only 23yo. She was working poor and no one was working hard to help her except her, so she died because of people like you, who don't want to take care of anyone but themselves.

That dead woman was my mother who died over 19 years ago. Thanks for your acts of loving kindness, not.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I had 1300 taken out of my last biweekly paycheck for taxes. And it makes me irate to know that money goes to some of the programs in this country.

I busted my butt and SACRIFICED to get by while I was a single mother going to school. So I know it can be done. Therefore, I don't want to pay for others to be irresponsible, lazy, unhealthy, uneducated, etc... Not my problem.

I've also maintained the same weight for 10+ years, through exercise and hard work. I take the time to provide a healthy existence for my family. And I pay for MY OWN healthcare.

• stormcris
    April 22, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Are you aware of how that mentality really affects you? 

People not having the ability to afford health care get communicable disease and those truly affect you and your health. These spread to the society and affect those you think should be the only ones you should support. Survival of the fittest is fine as long as you accept the fact that you can be affected by this mentality and get a disease that may very well take your life or leave you and yours with long term suffering and greater medical expense than what it would have cost for the Medicaid. This was recently shown in the homeless in CA when TB ran rampant. The worst of this is people even with great insurance fail to get tests so while you might not come directly in contact with those on skid row, someone you know might have and they could be carrying this disease and pass it on you because it is airborne. This is why health insurance being provided to everyone is important. Not because you need to support someone else but you are insuring your own protection. Often those with the insurance do not get tested because they cannot afford to go to the doctor with the high out of pocket expense. 

The working poor cannot afford the policies you mention. The median income people for most areas cannot afford the polices you mentioned.

Just some things to consider.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting dawnnamarie:

• mehamil1
    April 22, 2013 at 3:43 AM

The irony here is that she has the same ME ME ME mentality as the person described in the OP. 

I got mine, so screw you, is just a really bad way to go about everything. 

Also, the focus on the poor when it is not the poor that got all of us into this mess makes me see red. Blaming them, might as well shoot yourself in the foot. That's about as far as it'll go. 

Quoting Bookwormy:
    She had a BA in elementary education. She couldn't afford to go back to school. She couldn't afford an individual policy either. Perhaps you, like the physician in the OP, don't understand poverty or the working poor. She was working poor.

People who believe in survival of the fittest in terms of humans make me sick to my stomach.
    Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting dawnnamarie:
  • mehamil1
    April 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Not to mention the fact that we are ALL better off when we are all collectively putting in for our own benefit. A healthy nation is something we should strive for and all participate in. It's in our best interests. It truly is. Nations with universal healthcare are by far better off for it. They live longer, have lower incidences of everything there is, and in general are better. The are also in less debt and have a lot less stress. This mentality is fucking us up the ass. 

Quoting stormcris:

Are you aware of how that mentality really affects you? 

People not having the ability to afford health care get communicable disease and those truly affect you and your health. These spread to the society and affect those you think should be the only ones you should support. Survival of the fittest is fine as long as you accept the fact that you can be affected by this mentality and get a disease that may very well take your life or leave you and yours with long term suffering and greater medical expense than what it would have cost for the Medicaid. This was recently shown in the homeless in CA when TB ran rampant. The worst of this is people even with great insurance fail to get tests so while you might not come directly in contact with those on skid row, someone you know might have and they could be carrying this disease and pass it on you because it is airborne. This is why health insurance being provided to everyone is important. Not because you need to support someone else but you are insuring your own protection. Often those with the insurance do not get tested because they cannot afford to go to the doctor with the high out of pocket expense. 

The working poor cannot afford the policies you mention. The median income people for most areas cannot afford the polices you mentioned.

Just some things to consider.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting dawnnamarie:

• Clairwil
    April 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Quoting dawnnamarie:

Society disagrees.   So live with it, or choose a different society to live in.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I fully believe in survival of the fittest.

"survival of the fittest" was intended to be descriptive, not prescriptive.

• Seasidegirl
    April 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I agree that there are people in this country who feel like the government will fix everything for them. But the health care crisis has its roots in much more. Medical fraud and waste. Prices jacked up. Pharmaceutical companies - their costs vs. prices. Greed. I have been to more than one doctor who did unnecessary things or had me undergo completely unnecessary and extremely expensive tests. Lawsuits or fear of them probably bring about some of that, but I think fraud in the medical community/field is rampant, and we should crack down on that. I swear I had one doctor who I think was getting kickbacks.

How do you stop "rewarding" irresponsibility and dependency without punishing those truly in need who do not abuse the system?  I think that most people figure that allowing a few sloths to slip by is worth caring for those who really need help.

By the way, I was in another group recently (and left) and was appalled at the number of members in there who were pretty much bragging about getting food stamps while they were popping out one baby after the other. They got really offended when people asked them why they kept producing if they didn't have the money to produce. One person replied, "Only rich people are allowed to have babies?!"

I'm very liberal, but that was too much for me. WTF?

• momto3B
    by momto3B
    April 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM

The number of times you see women on this site talking about the the benefits they need to receive at the birth of their child  is amazing. If you have no money to support a child, you have no business having one. 

If you cannot be certain that your birth control will work, don't have intercourse. One person's sexual pleasure should not become society's financial liability. 

Quoting lga1965:

Isn't that the truth!  I have been shocked at the Moms here at CM ( In other groups) who talk about their tattoos, piercings, having their nails done, their eyebrows threaded, their bikini waxes or Brazilian ( stupid idea and expensive), their nights out at the bars,etc. ....all of those things add up to LOTS of money. BUT then they reveal that they have no money, they wait for a tax refund ( and they will spend it, not save it) and then they say they don't want to spend any money on HEALTH CARE!  OMG! They will go the the ER! Makes me want to scream,!

If you are curious, I will tell you how we saved over $10,000 in the 1970's for a down payment on a house in only three years. ( Hint: I never have a manicure, no tattoos, no waxes...I sewed my clothes and most of the kiddies clothes except for jeans and outerwear....we didn't go to movies. We had one TV) And if we needed to pay for health care, we would have had the money for the whole family's health plan. For sure.

Ohhhh,boy, I get really fed up with these sponges. They have such bad judgment and throw good money away.

End of rant.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    April 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Quoting pixie92:

this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.

You are really defensive. It seems some of us have made you uncomfortable,right? Would you prefer to have  1) health insurance, an annual checkup and mammogram, a small co-pay for medications ...OR...2) more luxury itmes that contribute nothing to your health? THIS is the point we are makimg. Is your health important? Or is it more fun to spend money on things you don't need and just not think about your future?

• btamilee
    April 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I don't understand why the concept of personal responsibility is so difficult for people to understand.  The story that started this post made me angry, and yes.....if this person had all the items mentioned, I believe that I or you should NOT be responsible for their health care needs.  Both my dh and I work hard, and have made MANY sacrifices to make sure OUR family is taken care of, and I expect others to do the same.  I don't feel that is selfish on my part, I think that is honest.   Those that can pay for their own health care, should be expected to do so.  If you can afford tattoos, gold teeth, cell phones, expensive sneakers, and smoke a pack of cigs a day......then I have a feeling it just may be possible to cut back a little on those non necessities, and help yourself!  I know there are people that do need the extra help during hardship, but when the hardship becomes a lifetime of laziness, or no moves are made to improve the situation...then the sympathy from me starts to wain..

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I agree that there are people in this country who feel like the government will fix everything for them. But the health care crisis has its roots in much more. Medical fraud and waste. Prices jacked up. Pharmaceutical companies - their costs vs. prices. Greed. I have been to more than one doctor who did unnecessary things or had me undergo completely unnecessary and extremely expensive tests. Lawsuits or fear of them probably bring about some of that, but I think fraud in the medical community/field is rampant, and we should crack down on that. I swear I had one doctor who I think was getting kickbacks.

How do you stop "rewarding" irresponsibility and dependency without punishing those truly in need who do not abuse the system?  I think that most people figure that allowing a few sloths to slip by is worth caring for those who really need help.

By the way, I was in another group recently (and left) and was appalled at the number of members in there who were pretty much bragging about getting food stamps while they were popping out one baby after the other. They got really offended when people asked them why they kept producing if they didn't have the money to produce. One person replied, "Only rich people are allowed to have babies?!"

I'm very liberal, but that was too much for me. WTF?