Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
DestinyHLewis
Sensitive post. Is anyone here a parole examiner, or do you know one? What are their qualifications and education? *edt*
April 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Long story in a nut shell. 

I was molested by a convicted murderer and rapist when I was 4.5. He had just been released from prison after a an 11 year sentence for his first rape and murder, yes only 11 damn years, and 2 weeks after he assaulted me, he raped and murdered another woman, then raped and bludgeoned another woman and left her for dead. She survived, but lost an eye, and suffered tbi from her injuries. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. That was in 1986. 

The courts where unaware of my assault at the time he was sentenced as my parents were not yet aware of what happened. 

He has mailed threats to my family over the years, made it a point to know where we are, and I believe sends the letters to scare us. It's a game for him. 

We got a call a few months back that he has a "parole" hearing. Dumbfounded, we contacted the parole commission. I still don't quite understand how he is being given an opportunity at parole, but originally we were told there is no way he would have it granted. I was asked to write a letter to the parole board and several other family members did also. 

Today I got a call from my mom. The "parole examiner" gave their recommendation FOR parole. That means he could be back in my area in as little as 2 months. 

What is a parole examiner, and what are their unique qualifications? Are the a psychiatrist, or psychologist? I cannot for the life of me understand how any sane or educated person could allow this monster back out on our streets. I am furious. I am scared, and I am disgusted. 

I have started a letter to this moron. I have had to rewrite numerous times because my emotions get the better of me and I sound like an uneducated, foul mouthed moron. 

I don't know what to do. The parole hearing is scheduled for 1 May. I am sick over this. Advice  is very much welcomed. 

*edit* Talked with the state attorney. He has requested another examination for this week by a psychiatrist and a different examiner, and assured me he will fight tooth and nail to make sure he is not paroled. He also said the surviving victim will be present at the hearing to testify, and that if he thinks the parole board is looking like they may approve parole, he will request a continuance so that I, and my family can be heard in person. Fingers crossed. 

*edit #2* The parole hearing has come and gone. Neither my mom or I was able to attend due to the changes they made and we still have not heard the outcome. I am in knots. She thinks they would have called ASAP if he was paroled, and I think they would have called ASAP either way to put our minds at ease or warn us. I also think they might delay if it was bad news for us.  I don't know what to think. I left a message today with our contacts. Hoping to hear tomorrow. I cannot sleep, and my anxiety is getting out of control. ;-( I feel like puking. 

*edit #3* he isn't getting out. His parole wasn't "denied" as such, but was given a date in 2019 where he goes up for parole again. I don't really understand the ins and outs of this, they call it an "extension", but from what we were told they can just keep giving him these extensions and denying to parole him at the time of the hearing. The state attorney said that is what they will continue to do. I am thrilled and beyond relieved he isn't getting out, however it also means we will have to continue to do this every so often until he bites the dust. Thank you for those prayers and advice. I very much appreciated the support. It's been a hell of a few months. ;-) 

Replies

• molly_ann
    April 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    I would start with the DA that tried the case a d go from there. Maybe try the parole board and see what they recommend. If nothing else, contact news media! This fellow does NOT need to be in society!

I hope you are able to find answers :-)
  • DestinyHLewis
    April 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My mom just FB messaged me. The state attorney is going to be there. The original judge that presided over the case is retired, but the state attorney does not want him released. He is contacting me tomorrow. None of the original people are still there. I am praying this guy can help. I didn't want media contacted, but if that is what has to happen to keep him in prison? So be it. 

Quoting molly_ann:

I would start with the DA that tried the case a d go from there. Maybe try the parole board and see what they recommend. If nothing else, contact news media! This fellow does NOT need to be in society!

• NWP
    by NWP
    April 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Wow...that us terrible! Can you attend the hearing and be heard by the board?
  • molly_ann
    April 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

My mom just FB messaged me. The state attorney is going to be there. The original judge that presided over the case is retired, but the state attorney does not want him released. He is contacting me tomorrow. None of the original people are still there. I am praying this guy can help. I didn't want media contacted, but if that is what has to happen to keep him in prison? So be it. 

Quoting molly_ann:

• DestinyHLewis
    April 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Unfortunately no. It was originally scheduled for this Wednesday and I could have. However, the state attorney couldn't be present and that is why the date changed. We just found out why today. 

Quoting NWP:

Wow...that us terrible! Can you attend the hearing and be heard by the board?

• NWP
    by NWP
    April 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Well I hope the attorney general can be an effective advocate for you. I wonder if the media can be of use. From the sound of it, you wouldn't even have to share your part of the story. The stuff he was convicted of alone is enough to prove he is a monster.
  • DestinyHLewis
    April 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

That is the part I am worried about. My mom wants to contact the media, meaning news and radio, in the area he would move back to. It also happens to be where I live now. I do not want to become a local media sensation. When he committed these crimes my family was put through hell, and it was plastered all over the news. The surviving  victim also lives here. I can only imagine the circus that would ensue. I have 3 young girls who know nothing about this. How do explain reporters on your lawn asking about your attack and such? Smh. It's not right. 

I don't know what to do. The parole hearing is scheduled for 1 May. I am sick over this. Advice  is very much welcomed. Quoting NWP:

Well I hope the attorney general can be an effective advocate for you. I wonder if the media can be of use. From the sound of it, you wouldn't even have to share your part of the story

• NWP
    by NWP
    April 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    It sounds like there are enough terrible things he was convicted of without having to bring your story into it. The other surviving victim should be enough alone from the sound of it.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

That is the part I am worried about. My mom wants to contact the media, meaning news and radio, in the area he would move back to. It also happens to be where I live now. I do not want to become a local media sensation. When he committed these crimes my family was put through hell, and it was plastered all over the news. The surviving  victim also lives here. I can only imagine the circus that would ensue. I have 3 young girls who know nothing about this. How do explain reporters on your lawn asking about your attack and such? Smh. It's not right. 

I don't know what to do. The parole hearing is scheduled for 1 May. I am sick over this. Advice  is very much welcomed. Quoting NWP:

Well I hope the attorney general can be an effective advocate for you. I wonder if the media can be of use. From the sound of it, you wouldn't even have to share your part of the story

• DestinyHLewis
    April 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Ps. In trying to give a short account... I left out the detail he is my dad's brother. "My uncle" although I cannot stomach calling him that. My dad won't even mention him. When he committed his first rape and murder my parents were seniors in Highschool. You can only imagine the media frenzy they went through. So you see the issue I have. 

Quoting NWP:

Well I hope the attorney general can be an effective advocate for you. I wonder if the media can be of use. From the sound of it, you wouldn't even have to share your part of the story. The stuff he was convicted of alone is enough to prove he is a monster.

• DestinyHLewis
    April 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Lets hope. <3  thanks. 

Quoting NWP:

It sounds like there are enough terrible things he was convicted of without having to bring your story into it. The other surviving victim should be enough alone from the sound of it.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts