Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
One Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody; one officer killed
April 19, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Boston Marathon bomber manhunt: One in custody, second on the run, reports say

Police search for suspects in Watertown, Mass. (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

BOSTON—A late-night police chase and shootout has ended with one marathon bombing suspect being captured here, the Boston Globe reported. Meanwhile, an intense manhunt is underway for a second suspect in the terror case.

Federal agents swarmed neighboring Watertown after local police were involved in a car chase and shootout with at least two suspects. During the pursuit, officers could be heard on police radio traffic describing the suspects as having grenades and other explosives.

One reportedly escaped capture, and another was shot by police and taken to a local hospital. Another man was seen sprawled on the ground in footage shown on WHDH-TV.

The FBI has not confirmed a connection between the events in Watertown to the twin explosions that killed 3 people and injured 170 others at the Boston Marathon on Monday. But according to an alert sent issued to fellow officers, the suspect who remained at large was referred to as the "one with the white hat" seen in the photos released by the bureau on Thursday.

The suspect, described on scanner traffic as a "white male wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with black curly hair, possibly with an assault rifle and explosives," as police in Watertown, Newton, Brighton and Cambridge were put on high alert.

"We are aware of the law enforcement activity in the greater Boston area," Boston FBI spokesman Greg Comcowich said in a statement to Yahoo News. "The situation is ongoing. We are working with local authorities to determine what happened."

Worried residents in Watertown, a suburb about 10 miles from downtown Boston, were ordered to stay indoors and turn off their cell phones out of fear that they could trigger improvised explosive devices.

Dozens of police officers, many of them off-duty, searched backyards in search of the second suspect, and a police perimeter of several blocks was established. K9 units and SWAT teams searched homes on Spruce Street as officers searched an SUV the suspects had abandoned.

The Watertown shootout occurred after a shooting at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology late Thursday. A police officer was shot and taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. The campus was placed on lockdown for several hours, and students were told to remain indoors.

Shortly before 2 a.m. Friday, MIT issued a statement on its website saying that the suspect "in this evening's shooting is no longer on campus. It is now safe to resume normal activities. Please remain vigilant in the coming hours."


  • Goodwoman614
    April 19, 2013 at 4:02 AM

    Chaotic scene in Boston area after explosions, gunfire, fatal shooting of MIT officer

    LIVE VIDEO — NBC Special Report on the unfolding situation in Watertown, Massachusetts after explosions and gunfire was heard sparking heavy police activity.

    Two suspects armed with explosives and guns battled law enforcement officers in a Boston suburb early Friday morning, unleashing chaos until cops took one of the men into custody, witnesses and authorities said.

    The standoff in Watertown, Mass., erupted shortly after the fatal shooting of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer.

    Authorities were investigating whether standoff, fatal shooting and Monday's marathon bombing were connected.

    Watertown resident Andrew Kitzenberg says he had a "clear line of view" of what he said looked "like a pressure cooker bomb."

    Watertown resident Andrew Kitzenberg described a police standoff outside his house, where two shooters and police engaged in gunfire for several minutes.

    The gunmen used "bombs that looked like grenades," Kitzenberg told NBC News.

    Kitzenberg said when he looked out the window he saw two people taking cover between a black Mercedes SUV and a sedan, and watched them shooting 70 or 80 yards toward six Watertown police vehicles.“They engaged in gunfire for a few minutes,” Kitzenberg said. “They were also utilizing bombs, which sounded and looked like grenades, while engaging in the gunfight. They also had what looked like a pressure-cooker bomb.”
    He said the pair took cover behind the Mercedes SUV and were shooting westward toward the police officers. They also had backpacks.

    “It was a firefight,” he added. “There was a long exchange of gunfire.”

    Mario Tama / Getty Images

    Police with guns drawn search for a suspect on April 19, 2013 in Watertown, Mass. Earlier, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer was shot and killed late Thursday night at the school's campus in Cambridge. A short time later, police reported exchanging gunfire with alleged carjackers in Watertown, a city near Cambridge. It's not clear whether the shootings are related or whether either are related to the Boston Marathon bombing.

    One of the shooters then ran toward the officers, while the other got into the SUV, Kitzenberg recounted.

    The person on foot later fell to the ground, but Kitzenberg said he was unable to tell whether he had been tackled or shot.

    The other drove the SUV through the line of police cars at the end of the street, he added.

    A law enforcement source said one of the suspects had been shot. A second suspect was still believed to be at large. Police in Watertown were warning residents to stay indoors.

    Kitzenberg said that while he had a “very clear view of the shooters,” he couldn’t see their faces but described them as “average size, average height.”

    During the gun battle, a bullet ended up in the wall of Kitzenberg’s apartment, which is on the second level of a multi-family home.

    Rebecca Carbone, 30, stood on the street wearing pajamas and a sweatshirt and had stepped out when she heard sirens.

    "We heard a loud blast and we didn't know what it was," Carbone said. "It sounded like a car backfiring."

    John Grimes, 69, a retired letter carrier, said that he heard three loud explosions, "and you don't hear explosions at night a lot."

    The tense situation in Watertown followed an hours-long lockdown at MIT, where a campus police officer was shot and killed while investigating a disturbance on the Cambridge campus.

    As investigators swept the campus, there were reports of violence and an extremely heavy police presence in Watertown, which is only a few miles away.

    The events began unfolding with reports of shots fired on the MIT campus at 10:48 p.m. ET, and the situation remained "active and extremely dangerous" for hours, according to MIT's emergency website. It was later reported that a campus officer had been fatally shot several times.

    The slain officer was responding to a report of a disturbance in the area of Vassar and Main streets, police said, when he was shot. According to authorities, the officer sustained multiple gunshot wounds. He was transported to the hospital and pronounced dead.

    The university expressed its condolences in a statement: "MIT is heartbroken by the news that an MIT Police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty on Thursday night on campus, near Building 32 (the Stata Center). Our thoughts are now with the family."

    Cambridge is right across the Charles River from Boston, but authorities cautioned that there didn’t appear to be a link to the bombings earlier this week.

  • Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    April 19, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    I just read on my news feed one suspect of the bombings is dead, other still at large, and one officer dead, another wounded :'( horribly sick and sad
  • DestinyHLewis
    April 19, 2013 at 4:53 AM

    I am watching live and they haven't officially confirmed this is connected. 

  • Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    April 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM
    I just watched CNN and they were saying it is connected and the news conference said they were the suspects in the bombings. It's confirmed the dead one was the darker male in the black hat suspect from the bombings.

    Quoting DestinyHLewis:

    I am watching live and they haven't officially confirmed this is connected. 

  • sweet-a-kins
    April 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    This is crazy! Driving and throwing grenades and explosives out the window!!!

  • gsmom9
    by gsmom9
    April 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM

    thanks for the info ladies.

  • Thomigirl
    April 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM

    The way this is being handled is despicable! This is sensational TV at it's worst. Now you have a dead 'suspect' with NO way of getting answers as to who, what, why! Way to go media.

  • sweet-a-kins
    April 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Russian brothers?? WTF?
  • sweet-a-kins
    April 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    The media had nothing to do with him being killed

    They robbed a 7-11 and were paranoid and shot a cop who wasn't even looking for them

    Then car jacked a Benz

    Which started the police chase

    Quoting Thomigirl:

    The way this is being handled is despicable! This is sensational TV at it's worst. Now you have a dead 'suspect' with NO way of getting answers as to who, what, why! Way to go media.

  • Carpy
    by Carpy
    April 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM

    Sounds more like it is the terrorists fault to me.

    Quoting Thomigirl:

    The way this is being handled is despicable! This is sensational TV at it's worst. Now you have a dead 'suspect' with NO way of getting answers as to who, what, why! Way to go media.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts