Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
purpleducky
Gospel of Judas
April 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

What are your thoughts on it being verified as authenticate? Why do you think the council left it out and decided to paint Judas in such a negative light instead? 

"In this version of the story, Judas turns Jesus over to the authorities for execution upon Jesus' request, as part of a plan to release his spirit from his body. In the accepted biblical version of the tale, Judas betrays Jesus for 30 pieces of silver."

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/08/17656331-scholars-reveal-how-they-scrambled-to-authenticate-gospel-of-judas?lite

Replies

• 12hellokitty
    April 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Unless the contents of the document can be verified in other non related documents then it holds little credibility.

• purpleducky
    April 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

From the article

"As part of a 2006 National Geographic Society investigation of the document, microscopist Joseph Barabe of McCrone Associates in Illinois and a team of researchers analyzed the ink on the tattered gospel to find out if it was real or forged. Some of the chemicals in the ink raised red flags — until Barabe and his colleagues found, at the Louvre Museum, a study of Egyptian documents from the third century A.D., the same time period of the Gospel of Judas."

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Unless the contents of the document can be verified in other non related documents then it holds little credibility.

• LucyMom08
    April 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I think it's fascinating...wasn't it Irenaeus who rejected the Gospel of Judas as heresy? I find the ancient apologetics so interesting...they were terrified of so many things...I love to research Gnosticism and the early church...

They had sufficient reason to bury and decry the Gospel of Judas...it would have contradicted many of their established ideas...

• LucyMom08
    April 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Do you say the same of all the Gnostic gospels and the Nag Hammadi library?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

• purpleducky
    April 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Have you ever read the scared texts of the Essene Jews? 

Quoting LucyMom08:

I think it's fascinating...wasn't it Irenaeus who rejected the Gospel of Judas as heresy? I find the ancient apologetics so interesting...they were terrified of so many things...I love to research Gnosticism and the early church...

They had sufficient reason to bury and decry the Gospel of Judas...it would have contradicted many of their established ideas...

• rfurlongg
    April 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

At the time there were heavy politics among various Christian groups. Remember Christianty was at its infancy. The gospel of Judas (it is believed) was heavily read by the gnostics. Not including the gosple of judas (and all other gnositc gospels) was essentially a play for power. Elaine Pagel has a great book dedicated the historical study of the politics involved in creating modern Christianity. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN