MentorMom1
Exposure to Second Hand Smoke in Pregnancy Linked to Children's Behavior Problems -
April 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/secondhand-smoke-linked-behavior-problems-children-141708359.html

A new study shows that a mother's exposure to second-hand smoke in pregnancy can affect their children -the next generation - causing behavior problems. Why give cigarettes so much power? .

Replies

• Donna6503
    April 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    I don't smoke; and as a general rule, I really hate being around smokers when they're are smoking.

Still, with that said; I tend to doubt those studies that focus on second hand smoke. There is always something wrong with em when you look into the details of the studies.
  • paganbaby
    April 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Good thing I don't smoke.

• ktp111
    by ktp111
    April 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I'm sorry for smoking now!!!

• Bieg9093
    April 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Nonsense...chicken and the egg here.  They type of parents who'd avoid smoke while pregnant are the same parents who'd make proactive choices regarding their kids' behavior.

• LizzieAnnesMom
    April 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    Everyone is aware of the effects of smoking and exposing their children to second hand smoke. Does it stop them? Absolutely not. Why? Because the feeling parents get from a cigarette is more important.
  • MentorMom1
    April 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I think the only difference between the two types of parents is that one doesn't buy cigarettes! Whether they're thinking about the well-being of their children makes no difference. I never smoked because I'm sensitive to odors. It didn't occur to be to take up the habit. IThere are many more moms just like me.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Nonsense...chicken and the egg here.  They type of parents who'd avoid smoke while pregnant are the same parents who'd make proactive choices regarding their kids' behavior.

• pamelax3
    April 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I was exposed to second hand smoke with all three of my children and this is crap, not one of them have a behavior problem

• EireLass
    April 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My Mom smoked while pregnant with all 8 kids - no issues. My ex-husband smoked while I was pregnant and up until he left (ages 11 & 8)....no issues.

• Tarot
    by Tarot
    Tea
    April 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I don't trust studies on second-hand smoke. The methodology is often skewed to the extreme, and a lot of variables are omitted. 

• Bieg9093
    April 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Your article says second hand smoke during pregnancy.  I read that to mean the pregnant women avoided being around others who might be smoking and/or fathers & other family members avoided being around her while smoking.

Quoting MentorMom1:

I think the only difference between the two types of parents is that one doesn't buy cigarettes! Whether they're thinking about the well-being of their children makes no difference. I never smoked because I'm sensitive to odors. It didn't occur to be to take up the habit. IThere are many more moms just like me.

Quoting Bieg9093: