Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
MentorMom1
Exposure to Second Hand Smoke in Pregnancy Linked to Children's Behavior Problems -
April 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/secondhand-smoke-linked-behavior-problems-children-141708359.html

A new study shows that a mother's exposure to second-hand smoke in pregnancy can affect their children -the next generation - causing behavior problems. Why give cigarettes so much power? .

Replies

• turtle68
    April 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Speaking for myself.  Its a selfish addiction...for some being pregnant does not override that.  

Quoting Sisteract:

As a mom and a long time Nicu nurse, I am shocked that being pregnant would not have been the catalyst to stop smoking...for both your babies' and your own sake.

Congrats on being smoke free for 3 years.

Quoting PestPatti:

I wasnt going to respond to this post, but I changed my mind.   I smoked while I was pregnant for both of my sons.   Neither of them had any behavioral issues, health or mental issues because I smoked.

I quit smoking in 2010, and I feel 10000000% better, but I did it because it was TIME for me to quit.    This study is not going to change minds, neither is being rude.

• MentorMom1
    April 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM

My DH grew up in a home with smoking parents. Everything always smelled like smoke. He picked up the habit for a few years. When we started going together I told him his mouth tasted like an ashtray! I couldn't even go into his parent's house without feeling sick. He quit right away. But then when we had kids, and I wouldn't take them to visit his parents. I didn't want them getting cigarette smoke in their little lungs and smelling gross.  One day his mom and dad showed up at our place and said they's quit. Cold turkey. We were thrilled. His dad's health had already been impaired at that point, and later he got COPD from smoking and had to be on oxygen. But they never picked up another cigarette, and we could take our kids to see them. My grandfather smoked and he got emphysema. Nasty disease. He had to be on oxygen, too.

Quoting PestPatti:

I never thought about it to be honest.  Until my son was getting married, and the possibility of  potential grand kids was one of the factors in me quitting.  

Quoting Sisteract:

As a mom and a long time Nicu nurse, I am shocked that being pregnant would not have been the catalyst to stop smoking...for both your babies' and your own sake.

Congrats on being smoke free for 3 years.

Quoting PestPatti:

I wasnt going to respond to this post, but I changed my mind.   I smoked while I was pregnant for both of my sons.   Neither of them had any behavioral issues, health or mental issues because I smoked.

I quit smoking in 2010, and I feel 10000000% better, but I did it because it was TIME for me to quit.    This study is not going to change minds, neither is being rude.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts