Featured Posts
NWP
Ford apologizes for art depicting tied-up women
by NWP
March 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Ford apologizes for art depicting tied-up women

@CNNMoney March 25, 2013: 1:20 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Ford and ad agency WPP apologized on Monday for offensive artwork depicting women tied up in the back of a Ford Figo, a car available in India.

The cartoonish drawings were never part of a paid campaign but were part of "a creative exercise by a team that was submitting for an ad competition," according to Chris Preuss, Ford (F, Fortune 500) spokesman for WPP. "They were actually posters uploaded to a website, which is where it all took off from."

One of the images depicts Silvio Berlusconi, former prime minister of Italy and a candidate in the current campaign, driving a Ford Figo with three tied-up women in the back. Another image depicts Paris Hilton driving a Figo with what's meant to be the three Kardashian sisters tied up in the back. A third image shows three male race-car drivers tied up in the back.

"We deeply regret this incident and agree with our agency partners that it should have never happened," said Ford, in a prepared statement. "The posters are contrary to the standards of professionalism and decency within Ford and our agency partners."

WPP also released a statement saying that it "deeply regret[s]" the existence of the "distasteful" posters.

Related: Ford unveils the Figo for India

India is particularly sensitive to the topic of violence against women, since several high-profile gang rapes have occurred there in recent months.

Ford unveiled the Figo, a subcompact, in 2009 to be produced in India and exported to other Asian countries and Africa. To top of page

Replies

• Goodwoman614
    March 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Rape culture. 

Buy our car - you can fit 3 bound & gagged vaginas in the way back.

• autodidact
    March 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Jesus, really? that is just fucking sick.

• nicolemead91
    March 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Wtf! Wow this is sum crazy shit !!
  • Billiejeens
    March 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Ford needs to stop listening to Idiots.

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    March 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    wow. Now I don't want to buy a Ford either. Guess it will be Toyota when I get my truck.
  • NWP
    by NWP
    March 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I understand this was part of an ad competition and not an official campaign....but who the HELL thought this was a good idea? And what idiot thought to put it on the website? 

• MsDenuninani
    March 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Geez. 

Does this stuff ever get run by women?  It's like the creative department is being controlled by Mad Men.

• NWP
    by NWP
    March 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

That crossed my mind.

I had a flashback to that Guns n Roses album cover when I first saw it. But that was a lot worse than I remembered when I looked it up again.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Geez. 

Does this stuff ever get run by women?  It's like the creative department is being controlled by Mad Men.

• wulfeyes05
    March 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The car I want is a Ford and I'd still buy from them. They made a mistake listening to an idiot, they apologized. 

• OHgirlinCA
    March 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM

And they thought this was a good idea....

***shakes head***

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN