Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
grandmab125
MA High School Principle decides to punish the top achievers, because it wouldn't be fair.....
March 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

A Massachusetts principal has been criticized for canceling his school's Honors Night, saying it could be 'devastating' to the students who worked hard, but fell short of the grades.

MyFoxBoston.com reports that David Fabrizio, principal of Ipswich Middle School, notified parents last week of his plan to eliminate the event.

"The Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients' families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade-point average," Fabrizio penned in his first letter to parents, the station reported.

Fabrizio also said he decided to make the change because academic success can be influenced by the amount of support a student receives at home and not all students receive the same level of emotional and academic support at home.

Some parents disagree with his philosophy.

"It's been a tradition in Ipswich, and you're very proud as a parent to see your child, as well as some of the other children who made, really, some great efforts," Dave Morin, a parent, told the station.

Fabrizio says he plans to include the honors ceremony with a previously planned end of the year assembly where students will be recognized in front of the entire student body.

Click for more from MyFoxBoston.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20/massachusetts-principal-calls-off-honor-night-because-it-could-be-devastating/?test=latestnews#ixzz2O8D4FY9J

Replies

• TruthSeeker.
    March 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM

What a bunch of Bologna!! What about those kids that worked hard and DID achieve good grades. They deserve recognition. 

So they are still honoring them in front of the school at the end of the year? This makes no sense at all. 

• NewMom11222011
    March 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Oh please!

banging head into wall

• JoshRachelsMAMA
    JRM
    March 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    Bunch of bullshit
  • MeAndTommyLee
    March 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM

This is a disgrace.  Recognition for a job well done is a powerful testament to build on those achievements.  I feel bad for these students, and hope  their parents stand up to the principal on behalf of their children. 

• grandmab125
    March 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I guess it's like little league baseball....everyone gets a trophy, or no one does.  And they wonder why kids don't want to achieve.

• FromAtoZ
    March 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I disagree with him.

Those who have achieved such honors should indeed be rewarded for their accomplishments.

• FromAtoZ
    March 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Quoting grandmab125:

I guess it's like little league baseball....everyone gets a trophy, or no one does.  And they wonder why kids don't want to achieve.

My first thought went to little league.....then on to soccer.  When my daughter played, she was between the ages of 5-8......every child had to have the same trophy, no matter what.  I was team mom for two years.  It was ridiculous. 

The children seldom learn all they can when they are praised for nothing more than showing up.

But let me tell you, some parents want that damn trophy for their kid for doing just that.......merely showing up. *sigh*

• desertlvn
    March 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yuck! Life isn't always easy, perfect, fair, or easy to attain. Kids need to learn how to deal with it.

• meriana
    by meriana
    March 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM

So not having good enough grades to attend Honors Night will make others feel badly but honoring those students at the year end assembly in front of the entire school won't make those who didn't quite make the grades feel badly.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

• krysstizzle
    March 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Stupid. Just plain stupid. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN