Arroree
CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists
by Arroree
March 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/cnn-grieves-that-guilty-verdict-ruined-promising-lives-of-steubenville-rapists/#.UUZwqoO-Oek.facebook

CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

By David Edwards
Sunday, March 17, 2013 13:41 EDT
CNN Candy Crowley reports on guilty verdict in Steubenville rape trial

CNN broke the news on Sunday of a guilty verdict in a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio by lamenting that the “promising” lives of the rapists had been ruined, but spent very little time focusing on how the 16-year-old victim would have to live with what was done to her.

Judge Thomas Lipps announced on Sunday that Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’lik Richmond, 16, would be given a maximum sentence after being found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl while she was unconscious. Richmond could be released from a juvenile rehabilitation facility by the age of 21 and Mays could be incarcerated until the age of 24.

CNN’s Candy Crowley began her breaking news report by showing Lipps handing down the sentence and telling CNN reporter Poppy Harlow that she “cannot imagine” how emotional the sentencing must have been.

Harlow explained that it had been “incredibly difficult” to watch “as these two young men — who had such promising futures, star football players, very good students — literally watched as they believed their life fell apart.”

“One of the young men, Ma’lik Richmond, as that sentence came down, he collapsed,” the CNN reporter recalled, adding that the convicted rapist told his attorney that “my life is over, no one is going to want me now.”

At that point, CNN played video of Richmond crying and hugging his lawyer in the courtroom.

“I was sitting about three feet from Ma’lik when he gave that statement,” Harlow said. “It was very difficult to watch.”

Candy then asked CNN legal contributor Paul Callan what the verdict meant for “a 16 year old, sobbing in court, regardless of what big football players they are, they still sound like 16 year olds.”

“What’s the lasting effect though on two young men being found guilty juvenile court of rape essentially?” Crowley wondered.

“There’s always that moment of just — lives are destroyed,” Callan remarked. “But in terms of what happens now, the most severe thing with these young men is being labeled as registered sex offenders. That label is now placed on them by Ohio law.”

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

Replies

• Arroree
    by Arroree
    March 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yeah cause it's all about those poor poor boys who are obviously the victims here....

Disgusting.

• meriana
    by meriana
    March 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Hopefully others will get the message that no matter how big a "star" they are, they still must face the consequences of their actions..and think twice before doing something horrible to another.

• fireangel5
    March 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Tough shit . Are we really supposed to feel bad for these boys? They knew what they were doing was wrong, they could have stopped at any point but they CHOOSE not too. Then, they covered it up and denied their wrongdoing. They have been coddled for being star athletes and allowed some leeway. Shame on these newscasters, women at that, for sympathizing with the rapists while ignoring how this has changed the life of the vicitmized girl. 

• Arroree
    by Arroree
    March 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I think this may be the first time i've wholeheartedly agreed with you.

Quoting fireangel5:

Tough shit . Are we really supposed to feel bad for these boys? They knew what they were doing was wrong, they could have stopped at any point but they CHOOSE not too. Then, they covered it up and denied their wrongdoing. They have been coddled for being star athletes and allowed some leeway. Shame on these newscasters, women at that, for sympathizing with the rapists while ignoring how this has changed the life of the vicitmized girl. 

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    March 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Holy cow.They ruined their own futures when they raped the girl. The sentencing didn't....they did it to themselves.And why do they think at CNN that these guys had "bright futures"??? Just because they were football players? They have something wrong with them if they think raping a girl was okay....they have flaws, serious personal flaws, lack of morals..That means, in my view,that they wouldn't have a "bright future" anyway.

And what about the girl? Doesn't anyone at CNN care? The idiots.

• bleumonster
    March 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    I couldn't have said it better.

Quoting fireangel5:

• fireangel5
    March 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Always a first for everything :)

Quoting Arroree:

I think this may be the first time i've wholeheartedly agreed with you.

Quoting fireangel5:

• Shoota
    by Shoota
    March 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Boo hoo...they made a grown decision to have sex with her while she passed out, now they get to deal with the grown up consequence of their actions. This just makes me sick. I guess since they were football players we should just give them a slap on the wrist? Hopefully this will be a lesson to young boys in the future.

• LoveMyBoyK
    March 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    BOO 'efin HOO. They destroyed their own lives when they chose to RAPE.
  • grandmab125
    March 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM

This is pathetic, and a prime example of why CNN has lost it's relevance.  They are in 3rd place in the ratings for cable news shows.  Every year, they lose more and more viewers.  It is certainly easy to understand why.