Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Raintree
God in the classroom
March 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My oldest son has been back in school since January (we had been homeschooling), and he's been coming home with some interesting stories about his science teacher.

According to his science teacher,

1- If you love your mother, than you must believe in Jesus, because Jesus is love.

2- The science curriculum is not "the truth", and he hates that he has to teach from it.

3- He has only been confronted by one parent in his 20 years in the classroom, because the "lovely town" he teaches in is predominantly Christian.

I've taken some steps to find out what is going on, etc. But because we've been talking about the separation of church and state (or the myth of it, according to some posters) in another thread, I thought it would be good to get another perspective out there. This is a public school, and an actual science class where this is happening. And in 20 years, no one has really done anything about it.

If you were me, what would you do?

Also, can we please put to rest the idea that this kind of thing does not happen in the public schools?

Replies

• pansyprincess
    March 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Can I ask where you are?  I would be in that school so quick the teacher and principals head would spin.  And if they didn't fix it, I'd be reaching out to FFRF or ACLU or someone else that can elevate the problem.  That shit is just not ok and people need to put it to rest.  I want my child to learn science in science class.  Save the theology for sunday school.

• autodidact
    March 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I KNOW that kind of crap happens in public schools, my elementary and high schools pulled some very unconstitutional shenanigans. 

• desertlvn
    March 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I'd make a meeting with the teacher and very kindly bring up my concerns. The teacher's reaction would lead my next move be it meet with the principal or school board, sit in on some classes, pull my kid from the school, or just have tons of conversations with my child.

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    March 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I'd be working on getting it on video so he could be fired for his behavior. If he wants to teach religion, he should teach in a private school.

Inappropriate in a public school.

• momtoscott
    March 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I would complain and try if at all possible to get my child out of that class.  It sounds truly awful, and certainly the teacher doesn't seem invested in teaching the topic well, so the quality of your son's education is being affected. 

Guess I'm lucky, my son's science teacher assigned him Dawkins's The Greatest Show on Earth to read for extra credit. 

• desertlvn
    March 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

You'd go straight to hidden cameras and trying to fire the guy? Why not start with giving the guy a chance to fix the problem?

Quoting GLWerth:

I'd be working on getting it on video so he could be fired for his behavior. If he wants to teach religion, he should teach in a private school.

Inappropriate in a public school.

• ambermario4ever
    March 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I wouldn't do anything about it.

• Friday
    by Friday
    March 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My first instinct is to go directly to the teacher about it but I would be concerned that he would give my kid a hard time after that. I'd probably do that anyhow and escalate it to the principal if that didn't help. I'd contact FFRF or Americans United if I made no progress with the school staff.

• FromAtoZ
    March 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I would be taking steps to find out what is going on as well.

What grade is this?

I have had no issues in the past talking with a teacher when it has been clear they have crossed the line.  

Some one like this should not be teaching Science.   Or teaching at all.

• storkradio193
    March 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I would work to find out more and verify the information.  I would probably talk with the teacher and go from there.  

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN