Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
stormcris
Human and Synthetic Hormones Now Contaminate Fresh Produce
March 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Hormones and/or hormone-mimicking chemicals are omnipresent environmental contaminants. Already found in places as varied as our teeth (dental sealant) to our paper products (receipts, money), our meat to our canned foods, new research now indicates that even fresh, whole vegetables and fruits are no longer immune to this growing biological and chemical threat.

A newly released study has found that a variety of substances with hormone-disrupting properties now widely contaminate commercially available fresh vegetables and fruits, in some cases at concentrations exceeding the recommended acceptable daily intake (ADI) for children as recommended by the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA).

Published this month in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers at the Indian River Research and Education Center, University of Florida/IFAS, found the synthetic endocrine-disrupting chemicals bisphenol A (BPA), nonylphenol (NP), and the natural steroidal estrogen 17-β-estradiol, in vegetables and fruits randomly sampled from local markets, using gas chromotagraphy with tandem mass spectrometry.[i]

According to the researchers, the “BPA was detected in all vegetable and fruit samples, ranging from 0.2±0.1 to 9.0±4.9 µg kg-1, indicating significant exposure potential for humans.”  Nonylphenol (NP), a chemical in the alkylphenol class mainly used to manufacturer detergents, was detected in pumpkin, sweet potato, citrus, and apple samples. Concentrations of 17-β-estradiol in vegetables and fruits ranged from 1.3±0.4 to 2.2±1.0 µg kg-1 except those in tomato and strawberry.

Notably, the highest concentrations of BPA were found in potatoes, lettuce contained the highest concentration of natural estrogens, and pumpkin the highest concentration of alkylphenols (APs).

How Did These Chemicals End Up In Our Food?

The answer is wastewater and sewage sludge — two things that, as many would be surprised to find, are commonly used to grow our food. While wastewater may contain as much as 95% water, the other 5% remaining is a biological and chemical atrocity. Even the sewage used in this degenerate, albeit highly productive (though unsustainable), form of farming has been renamed and transformed euphemistically into “biosolids,” to make it somehow sound more palatable.

The reuse of wastewater for irrigation of agricultural land is a well established practice that introduces many contaminants into our environment and crops including pharmaceuticals, hormones and personal care products.

Wastewater may contain human sewage, industrial site drainage, toxic waste (e.g. pesticide manufacturing), petroleum waste products or byproducts, for instance.

Article Resources

http://wakeup-world.com/2013/02/22/human-and-synthetic-hormones-now-contaminate-fresh-produce/

Thoughts?

Replies

• stormcris
    March 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM

A 2008 review has concluded that obesity may be increased as a function of BPA exposure, which "...merits concern among scientists and public health officials."[67] A 2009 review of available studies has concluded that "perinatal BPA exposure acts to exert persistent effects on body weight and adiposity".[68] Another 2009 review has concluded that "Eliminating exposures to (BPA) and improving nutrition during development offer the potential for reducing obesity and associated diseases".[69] Other reviews have come with similar conclusions.

• Farmlady09
    March 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

This is why I have my farm ~ and why I could care less about the opinion of people who make fun of it or toss me snarky comments about my education.

The sad truth is that most of what the government claims is safe ~ isn't. Not our food, not our medicine, not the household products being sold, and not what is pumped into the air, the water, and the soil. I refuse to kill myself slowly, or accelerate the process by eating and/or using what is deemed 'safe' by a flawed and biased regulatory agency (actually, several of them). After a decade of being free of most of these 'safe' things, my health is a testament to what is really safe. I live that difference ~ and I resent what is all around me that I have to accept because so many people want 'cheap' at any cost, even that of their health and lives.

• LindaClement
    March 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM

BPA is a hormone now? Amazing, this sciencey-shit...

• Raintree
    March 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I think it's great that you farm.

Quoting Farmlady09:

This is why I have my farm ~ and why I could care less about the opinion of people who make fun of it or toss me snarky comments about my education.

The sad truth is that most of what the government claims is safe ~ isn't. Not our food, not our medicine, not the household products being sold, and not what is pumped into the air, the water, and the soil. I refuse to kill myself slowly, or accelerate the process by eating and/or using what is deemed 'safe' by a flawed and biased regulatory agency (actually, several of them). After a decade of being free of most of these 'safe' things, my health is a testament to what is really safe. I live that difference ~ and I resent what is all around me that I have to accept because so many people want 'cheap' at any cost, even that of their health and lives.

• stormcris
    March 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I think if falls under hormone mimicking 

Quoting LindaClement:

BPA is a hormone now? Amazing, this sciencey-shit...

• newmommy430
    March 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    If I could I would own a farm too. For the same reasons you described.

Quoting Farmlady09:

• TranquilMind
    March 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Interesting.

I have known for a couple of decades that the goal is to make us sick and fat so we are easily controlled.  Woe to the men/businesses that do this to other human beings 

Quoting stormcris:

A 2008 review has concluded that obesity may be increased as a function of BPA exposure, which "...merits concern among scientists and public health officials."[67] A 2009 review of available studies has concluded that "perinatal BPA exposure acts to exert persistent effects on body weight and adiposity".[68] Another 2009 review has concluded that "Eliminating exposures to (BPA) and improving nutrition during development offer the potential for reducing obesity and associated diseases".[69] Other reviews have come with similar conclusions.

• kiriis
    by kiriis
    March 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Why the hell would someone make fun of that!? I LOVE going and getting fresh veggies and fruit at my Papa's farm, he always grows more kinds than the stores carry.

Quoting Farmlady09:

• OHgirlinCA
    March 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I feel like it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't.  You try to make the best choices for your family, and even that may be bad for them.

***sigh***

• OHgirlinCA
    March 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If I had the means and know how on farming... I'd do it too! 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN