Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
LauraKW
Awkward
by LauraKW
March 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?

Replies

• LindaClement
    March 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Why doesn't she know?

• stacymomof2
    March 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

What kind of views is she putting out there?

Try introducing your title into the conversation.  Maybe she knows but doen't feel she is doing anything inappropriate.

• lizzielouaf
    March 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I've had something similar happen. I kept trying to divert the conversation but the other woman kept bringing it right back to some very inappropriate political comments. I finally just extended my hand, introduced myself and my title. Thing was, she still didn't see anything wrong with the comments she was making so I finally had to get HR involved. It was an out of body experience tbh. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok, so the woman at my new job that is helping me learn some specifics about the office holds some "opinionated" views and she doesn't mind sharing. I don't think she realizes that I am her new boss. Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this before? Either from the employee's perspective or the supervisor's?

• TruthSeeker.
    March 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Work opinions or personal opinions?

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    March 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

She thinks our positions are lateral.  The last person in my new position did what was in her job description and nothing more, as does this other person.  She has already mentioned that I will only have to do X in this position and the rest of my time will be free.  That isn't going to cut it any longer.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why doesn't she know?

• LindaClement
    March 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Hmmm...

Sounds like she's being set up for a termination...

Quoting LauraKW:

She thinks our positions are lateral.  The last person in my new position did what was in her job description and nothing more, as does this other person.  She has already mentioned that I will only have to do X in this position and the rest of my time will be free.  That isn't going to cut it any longer.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why doesn't she know?

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    March 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

She is straddling a line by constantly espousing her religious ideals and her views on gay people, but she hasn't crossed it yet.  What might bite her in the ass is oddly enough related to the Affordable Care Act.  She completely doesn't understand any of it, and tells anyone and everyone how the government and the city are kicking everyone off the city's healthcare plan at open enrollment and they are going to force everyone onto the govt plan.  Now, she is allowed to believe whatever she wants.  What she can't do is freak out the other employees by spreading this crap about her employer when she is on the clock, or use her computer in the same way.

Quoting stacymomof2:

What kind of views is she putting out there?

Try introducing your title into the conversation.  Maybe she knows but doen't feel she is doing anything inappropriate.

• NewMom11222011
    March 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

If you are her boss, you need to pull her into your office (if you have one) or into HR (if there is one) and set her straight asap.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    March 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Yup, sounds way too familiar.  Did you know she is 53 and still has her period?  I mean seriously, that is just a small sidebar from one of the many facts about her life she feels compelled to share.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I've had something similar happen. I kept trying to divert the conversation but the other woman kept bringing it right back to some very inappropriate political comments. I finally just extended my hand, introduced myself and my title. Thing was, she still didn't see anything wrong with the comments she was making so I finally had to get HR involved. It was an out of body experience tbh. 

Quoting LauraKW:

• turtle68
    March 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

heaps of times....opinionated views when they dont know the hierarchy can be very informative.  Plus its always fun when they find out that you are the boss LOL

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN