Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
FromAtoZ
NYC’s ‘Cost of Teen Pregnancy’ PSAs **edited**
March 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I am not a fan of teen pregnancy.  However, I absolutely agree that such a 'campaign' is only meant to degrade.  Money thrown out as many feel teen parents should be.

Quote:

Planned Parenthood trashes NYC’s ‘Cost of Teen Pregnancy’ PSAs

By  | The Lookout – 5 hrs ago

Planned Parenthood denounced a new ad campaign aimed at sexually active teens, unveiled by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg this week, for shaming current and expectant teen parents and their children.

“The latest NYC ad campaign creates stigma, hostility and negative public opinions about teen pregnancy and parenthood rather than offering alternative aspirations for young people,” Haydee Morales, vice president of education and training at Planned Parenthood's New York office, said in a statement released on Wednesday. “The city’s money would be better spent helping teens access health care, birth control and high-quality sexual and reproductive health education, not an ad campaign intended to create shock value.”

The "Cost of Teen Pregnancy" campaign—displayed in subways and bus shelters citywide—includes images of concerned toddlers with messages for their teen parents.

"Honestly Mom," one poster reads, "chances are he won't stay with you. What happens to me?"

"Dad, you'll be paying to support me for the next 20 years," reads another, noting that New York state law requires a parent to pay child support until a child is 21.

The public service announcements also instruct teens to text "'NOTNOW' to 877877 for the real cost of teen pregnancy."

[Related: NYC rolls out 'Cost of Teen Pregnancy' PSAs]

"This campaign makes very clear to young people that there’s a lot at stake when it comes to deciding to raise a child,” Bloomberg said in his weekly radio address on Sunday.

The effort, he said, will "let thousands of young New Yorkers know that waiting to become a parent could be the best decision they ever make.”

According to the health department, the city's teen pregnancy rate has fallen 27 percent in the past decade. But Morales said stigmatizing teens who have already become parents "has not been a part of what has led to this success."

In 2011, the city quietly rolled out a controversial pilot program that allowed teens access to the contraceptive drug Plan B—the so-called "morning after pill"—in some of its public schools without parental consent. (Parents could choose to exclude their children from access.) In 2012, officials expanded the program to 13 schools with hopes of implementing it citywide.

That program—dubbed CATCH, or "Connecting Adolescents To Comprehensive Health"—is supported by Planned Parenthood.

I am not a fan of teen pregnancy.  This campaign, however, is meant to degrade. There is nothing positive there.  Sadly, many will agree with this and feel this will do good.  What that 'good' is.......I'm not sure.  It certainly is not going to help deter any one from having sex, protected or otherwise.

Shame on NYC and their Mayor.

***If some of you can get past the Planned Parenthood aspect and get your heads out of the sand, maybe you could see that the money used here could have been better spent.

Ya know, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

I think, when I first read this, I was uncomfortable with the delivery of this message and instead of taking some time, I jumped right on the defensive.  And believe me, I am any thing other than for kids having kids.  I've always been very much against teen sex, much less pregnancy.

So, after reading the replies, well........most of them.......I have realized that the message is correct.  It is indeed the delivery I dislike.  I also feel the money spent here could have been used in a more positive way and perhaps with not such a bullying type approach.  The more we shame and make a point of disgracing, the more people are not going to listen to the message.

Replies

• redbutterfly666
    March 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    The way they convey the message is wrong,and imo a little rude....they could have been a little more tactful (is that the right word?) In the way they made these
  • NewMom11222011
    March 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I have mixed feeling about the campaign itself, but what I find telling is that PP was against it.  So much for the theory I see so much on CM that PP will do anything to promote MORE abortions.  Prevention of teen parenthood can be accomplished two ways for sure: abstinence and abortion (and BC a third, slightly less reliable method).  For the anti-PP crowd's theory to hold water, it would seem that PP must think that abortion is not the aim of the ad campaign or it would be cutting into their business of BC and abortion.

• momtoscott
    March 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I am not a fan of teen pregnancy or of teens having sex before they're ready.  I don't like the undertones of the ads, because some seem to position babies as a lifelong punishment and shame. 

However, I think each one of these ads would be an excellent discussion and analysis assignment for teens in something like a health class or a social studies class, and digging into the stats behind the ads would be worthwhile.  If it makes teens think twice, even if that just means making a girl more conscientious about taking birth control or a boy more willing to use a condom, that's a good thing. 

• Samantha.Stetka
    March 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I'm Sixteen, and 30 weeks pregnant with my son. Yes, I was on birth-control but guess what? That doesn't always work! Sure I admit I shouldn't have been having sex at my age. But do you really think teenagers are going to stop having sex? No. It was all fine and dandy to have three kids, and married by the time you were sixteen a hundred years ago, but now we should be ashamed? I will NEVER be ashamed of my son. A lot of people think I should of just aborted my son, because I got pregnant a few years younger than most. From when the sperm meets the egg I believe that it is a life, and there is no way I was going to end that life. Life is precious and I would never end on that had no say in it. I'm all for adoption, if you can't take care of the child that you made then please do give it to someone that could!!

• FromAtoZ
    March 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

I'm Sixteen, and 30 weeks pregnant with my son. Yes, I was on birth-control but guess what? That doesn't always work! Sure I admit I shouldn't have been having sex at my age. But do you really think teenagers are going to stop having sex? No. It was all fine and dandy to have three kids, and married by the time you were sixteen a hundred years ago, but now we should be ashamed? I will NEVER be ashamed of my son. A lot of people think I should of just aborted my son, because I got pregnant a few years younger than most. From when the sperm meets the egg I believe that it is a life, and there is no way I was going to end that life. Life is precious and I would never end on that had no say in it. I'm all for adoption, if you can't take care of the child that you made then please do give it to someone that could!!

You are only 16 and on this site?  You might want to be cautious, just saying.

Your choice is just that, your choice. Every one else is afforded a choice as well and they should always be.

As I stated, the message is correct but I think the delivery is far off base.  I don't see many teens paying much attention to this campaign due to the delivery.  You can't reach people when you set out to immediately put them on the defense and degrade them.

Thank goodness your family isn't any thing like one of the posters in this thread.   She would set out to make you feel bad, to shame you and make your life a living hell.  You've already got enough going on.

• Samantha.Stetka
    March 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The message is clear, there isn't anything wrong with it. Most of everything said is true, but the way they delevered the message was wrong I think as well. I believe I have the right to be on here, as I do need advice and opinions on some things.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

Your choice is just that, your choice. Every one else is afforded a choice as well and they should always be.

As I stated, the message is correct but I think the delivery is far off base.  I don't see many teens paying much attention to this campaign due to the delivery.  You can't reach people when you set out to immediately put them on the defense and degrade them.

Thank goodness your family isn't any thing like one of the posters in this thread.   She would set out to make you feel bad, to shame you and make your life a living hell.  You've already got enough going on.

• FromAtoZ
    March 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

The message is clear, there isn't anything wrong with it. Most of everything said is true, but the way they delevered the message was wrong I think as well. I believe I have the right to be on here, as I do need advice and opinions on some things.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

I didn't say you do not have the right to be on here.  I don't know if there is age limit or any thing like that.  I am just suggesting that  you be careful.  You are quite young.  That is all.

• FromAtoZ
    March 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

BUMP!

• AutymsMommy
    March 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

What was wrong with the delivery?

If you agree with the message, why was the delivery wrong? What could they have done to make it more effective?

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

• Samantha.Stetka
    March 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I think they delivered the message way to negativly. When someone reads a post that is so negative, then they aren't going to suck up the information like they would a positive post. They are just going to shrug it off. Where if it was said in a different way ( like every 3/4 young couples don't stay together) or something along those lines the teen would be like wow that's a lot. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I feel.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What was wrong with the delivery?

If you agree with the message, why was the delivery wrong? What could they have done to make it more effective?

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Samantha.Stetka:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN