Pam
March 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Replies

• HuggaBug1991
    March 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

So very true!!!

• survivorinohio
    March 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

How do you know?  I believe that it can be both nature and nurture.  Some people work very hard to be straight before coming out  to themselves.  I always thought it was a choice till I became close with someone who was very open with me about his life.  He definitely didnt choose.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Your statement is based on the faulty premise that one must "hide" the behavior instead of simply turn away from it.  Sexual orientation is not innate and you are presuming that it is, because only that argument silences opposing views.  '

It is like arguing that AA is encouraging you to "hide" your drinking rather than stop drinking and do things that are benefical instead.

Quoting smalltowngal:

If you look at the stats, it's most prevalent amongst black, gay  and bisexual men. Ironically, many believe that is because there is more pressure on black males to be straight even if they aren't so they end up engaging in risky behavior by their wives' backs. So this video is encouraging people to hide their sexuality which encourages the spread of HIV. Yay for her. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

It always struck that community disproportionately hard because of the risky behaviors regularly engaged in by that community.  Sure, there was collateral damage because the virus got into the blood supply and spread around by either risky behaviors toward others or via blood transfusion (which led to the ban in the first place) or sometimes dental work or other ways of bodily fluid access.

Quoting mikiemom:

HIV does not just strike the gay community anymore that thought process is well, just bigotted. 

• survivorinohio
    March 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Have you ever known any gay people really well?

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't believe that "hormonally" one is doomed to be gay any more than I believe that one is doomed to be an alcoholic.  Tendencies may be there, but YOU decide which way you go with them. You don't even have to take that first step. 

We do not say that people are born alcoholic (even though there may be some component, other than simply exposure to the behavior), and we encourage them to stop or never start.    

Very young children do NOT display "homosexual tendencies".  They aren't sexually aware before puberty, unless they have been molested.  Young children might display personality traits or characteristics generally observed on the opposite gender, however.  It depends on what you do with them and how they are encouraged or discouraged.  Some will just be, but that doesn't mean the kid will decide to take steps toward homosexual behavior.  He may or he may not.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I don't understand, other than your religious beliefs, why you can accept that something happens before conception that ends in hermaphroditism but not that something happens-hormonally or otherwise- before conception that ends in loving people of one's own gender.  I believe that something interferes with the switch prior to birth, given the adults that I have known since they were very young children (when they first started displaying homosexual tendencies-and to my knowledge none of them were molested by a same sex person) who are now gay in my uber-conservative home town in Texas (which is not a place where you would CHOOSE to be gay, since that gets you beaten to a pulp).

Quoting TranquilMind:

It was certainly a lot easier when that was known, expected, and assumed to be the default/normal position.  It IS the default position for human beings.  Something interferes to turn the switch a different direction, so to speak.

Apparently, my switch wasn't interfered with in childhood, nor was I born with organs of both male and female, such as in cases where something goes wrong after conception..  No one molested me.  I was exposed to inappropriate sexual material in the home, but not of this variety.

So there you have it.  It does not happen in a vacuum.  Believe what you will, but  that's the truth.  It's a convenient lie to just say you were "born that way" just like it is a convenient lie to say you were "born" to be an adulterer or an alcoholic.  You weren't.  That isn't your destiny.  You just took steps in that direction to make it happen, if it does. 

Quoting LauraKW:

How did you make your decision to be straight?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Your statement is based on the faulty premise that one must "hide" the behavior instead of simply turn away from it.  Sexual orientation is not innate and you are presuming that it is, because only that argument silences opposing views.  '

It is like arguing that AA is encouraging you to "hide" your drinking rather than stop drinking and do things that are benefical instead.

Quoting smalltowngal:

If you look at the stats, it's most prevalent amongst black, gay  and bisexual men. Ironically, many believe that is because there is more pressure on black males to be straight even if they aren't so they end up engaging in risky behavior by their wives' backs. So this video is encouraging people to hide their sexuality which encourages the spread of HIV. Yay for her. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

It always struck that community disproportionately hard because of the risky behaviors regularly engaged in by that community.  Sure, there was collateral damage because the virus got into the blood supply and spread around by either risky behaviors toward others or via blood transfusion (which led to the ban in the first place) or sometimes dental work or other ways of bodily fluid access.

Quoting mikiemom:

HIV does not just strike the gay community anymore that thought process is well, just bigotted. 

• TranquilMind
    March 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Yes. 

Not that it is relevant to the choices that one makes in life as a principle.   But yes. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Have you ever known any gay people really well?

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't believe that "hormonally" one is doomed to be gay any more than I believe that one is doomed to be an alcoholic.  Tendencies may be there, but YOU decide which way you go with them. You don't even have to take that first step. 

We do not say that people are born alcoholic (even though there may be some component, other than simply exposure to the behavior), and we encourage them to stop or never start.    

Very young children do NOT display "homosexual tendencies".  They aren't sexually aware before puberty, unless they have been molested.  Young children might display personality traits or characteristics generally observed on the opposite gender, however.  It depends on what you do with them and how they are encouraged or discouraged.  Some will just be, but that doesn't mean the kid will decide to take steps toward homosexual behavior.  He may or he may not.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I don't understand, other than your religious beliefs, why you can accept that something happens before conception that ends in hermaphroditism but not that something happens-hormonally or otherwise- before conception that ends in loving people of one's own gender.  I believe that something interferes with the switch prior to birth, given the adults that I have known since they were very young children (when they first started displaying homosexual tendencies-and to my knowledge none of them were molested by a same sex person) who are now gay in my uber-conservative home town in Texas (which is not a place where you would CHOOSE to be gay, since that gets you beaten to a pulp).

Quoting TranquilMind:

It was certainly a lot easier when that was known, expected, and assumed to be the default/normal position.  It IS the default position for human beings.  Something interferes to turn the switch a different direction, so to speak.

Apparently, my switch wasn't interfered with in childhood, nor was I born with organs of both male and female, such as in cases where something goes wrong after conception..  No one molested me.  I was exposed to inappropriate sexual material in the home, but not of this variety.

So there you have it.  It does not happen in a vacuum.  Believe what you will, but  that's the truth.  It's a convenient lie to just say you were "born that way" just like it is a convenient lie to say you were "born" to be an adulterer or an alcoholic.  You weren't.  That isn't your destiny.  You just took steps in that direction to make it happen, if it does. 

Quoting LauraKW:

How did you make your decision to be straight?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

• canadianmom1974
    March 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    I wonder who wrote that for her. She can barely pronounce some of the words (propergate instead of propegate), I doubt she came up with that all on her own. In her defense though, I don't think it was supposed to be rap, as much as a slam poetry kind of thing.

At any rate, she is entitled to her opinion, but until the US becomes a theocratic nation, homosexuality and gay marriage should be subject only to the same rights and responsibilities as heterosexuality and straight marriage.

Each persons religious beliefs or lack of, are up to them, and each persons eventual fate, afterlife, reincarnation, etc., etc. are between them and their diety.
  • kailu1835
    March 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Yes.

Quoting Sekirei:

Before I watch... am I going to want to gouge my ears with a rusty spoon?