Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
TruthSeeker.
The R Word Movement
March 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

Replies

• TruthSeeker.
    March 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

If that is his medical diagnosis and that is the word she chooses to use, yes.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

That's the whole point of this thread. To use the word as intended and not in derogatory everyday language. That is the pledge. To ban your (General) use of the word in everyday conversation.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a "retarded" grandson......it is a word that by definition means slow....it is PEOPLE who have perverted the use of the word! Are we really that small that we have to eliminate a word from use. So what do we call flame retarded clothes. special clothes??? We need to wake up and learn to use words properly with their original intent, not eliminate them!! :( What a world we live in!

I am still confused.  So it will be alright for her to say she has a retarded grandson?

• TruthSeeker.
    March 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No one is asking you to take a pledge. You go right ahead and forget this argument and be gay and go on your merry way. It's an issue I, and many others in this thread, feel deserves awareness and continued discussion. Just because headway will not be made with you does not mean it will not be made with others. 

To the highlighted portion. It is not meant to be used as an offense or in a derogatory way. That is the point of this discussion.  

Quoting coronado25:

I have never used the word to insult anyone or anything that did not deserve it at the time and I have certainly never used it to taunt or bully those who deal with genetic or acquired mental retardation from Down's Syndrome, to Alzheimer's to head injuries...So why would I need to take a pledge? Retarded is the proper offensive word to describe someone or something that is unnecessarily delaying or impeding the progress or completion of a goal. Be it looking at a diagram upside down, lobbying for new laws that do little to help but create tons more red tape, etc.  Is it more okay to say "idiotic"? or "stupid" or "ass backwards"?

Let's all please be gay now and forget this argument. Its retarded to the point that we will make no headway towards a mutual feeling about this pledge thingie. 

• GrannyM.
    March 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I don't like the word "retarded" at all...I use to operate a daycare and one of my older attendees was an older boy who was the sweetest person ever. He was slow but love just beamed out of him. He is/was really and truly a 'special kid' who has become a very special adult...

• coronado25
    March 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I am reconsidering...not the pledge...but the use of it as insult, either to others (which I don't do) or to systems (which I do say, like, "This is a retarded way of doing this!")... mulling and mulling.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

No one is asking you to take a pledge. You go right ahead and forget this argument and be gay and go on your merry way. It's an issue I, and many others in this thread, feel deserves awareness and continued discussion. Just because headway will not be made with you does not mean it will not be made with others. 

To the highlighted portion. It is not meant to be used as an offense or in a derogatory way. That is the point of this discussion.  

Quoting coronado25:

I have never used the word to insult anyone or anything that did not deserve it at the time and I have certainly never used it to taunt or bully those who deal with genetic or acquired mental retardation from Down's Syndrome, to Alzheimer's to head injuries...So why would I need to take a pledge? Retarded is the proper offensive word to describe someone or something that is unnecessarily delaying or impeding the progress or completion of a goal. Be it looking at a diagram upside down, lobbying for new laws that do little to help but create tons more red tape, etc.  Is it more okay to say "idiotic"? or "stupid" or "ass backwards"?

Let's all please be gay now and forget this argument. Its retarded to the point that we will make no headway towards a mutual feeling about this pledge thingie. 

• coronado25
    March 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

My hang up here is that I didn't grow up calling anyone names and no one in my family uses words to taunt or tease...unless to say "Don't be chicken," and even that would be considered somewhat cruel.  

So it seems weird to give up a perfectly acceptable description of methods or persons who are unneccessarily making things take longer, or making things more complicated than they are...because there are not many words to describe this way of delaying things that convey the frustration associated with it.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting coronado25:

• TruthSeeker.
    March 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM

How about "you are delaying things", "I am frustrated by how slow you are moving", "you are dawdling", "you are causing a hindrance". There are so many words you can use if you feel you need to put someone down that is not this word. I hope you will reconsider the use of the R word in everyday speech.

Quoting coronado25:

My hang up here is that I didn't grow up calling anyone names and no one in my family uses words to taunt or tease...unless to say "Don't be chicken," and even that would be considered somewhat cruel.  

So it seems weird to give up a perfectly acceptable description of methods or persons who are unneccessarily making things take longer, or making things more complicated than they are...because there are not many words to describe this way of delaying things that convey the frustration associated with it.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

• autiemama516
    March 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I don't need to sign the pledge. My children know never to utter the word in a derogatory sense. My dd is special needs and I will use the term "Mental Retardation" with her Doctors and professionals. That is not insulting it is a medical diagnosis. I do hear it far too often among my childrens friends. Many people feel they are joking or funny to call each other "retard" or "retarded". These people do not think before they say hurtful things. I was at a ball game for my son when I overheard an adult call a kid on the field "retarded". This Mom seemed nice at practice but I want nothing to do with her now. It is classless and uneducated to use the word in a demeaning sense,

• frogbender
    March 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    Riiii-ght. By all means, if you like being a colossal ischial callosity, carry on.
    Quoting USBrit:

So by all means use the library, as you should!

Quoting frogbender:

Whatever. I think I made my stance clear earlier. You were the one that wanted to know what they were going to call "flame retarded clothes". I responded that they would call them flame retardant, because the definition of the word is most definitely not the same. By all means though, go order some flame retarded clothes. I'm sure no one will laugh at you. I don't understand why people don't educate themselves a little better. It isn't like we have no free public libraries.
    Quoting USBrit:

When all else fails just start to bash and name call. Folks like you who just want to mince words and not address the real issue that was being discussed. My Grandson is severly mentally retarded and changing the word to become more PC doesn't change what the doctors have diagnosed. By the way, I have done very well in my life and acting like the word retarded doesn't exist is the least of my worries, I would rather address the reason for all the children that are diagnosed with retardation, rather than worry about what PC word to use instead of the actual diagnosis. 

Quoting frogbender:

*sigh* Good luck with the whole English language/communication thing. It's going well for you, I see. There are still no fire retarded clothes.
    Quoting USBrit:

Perhaps you should look up the word retardation......and yes "SLOW" is the key to anything that starts begins with retard. So root word or not they ALL have the same meaning.....anyway....it is silly to argue the word, since my point was that the word is not the problem!!!

Quoting frogbender:

No, the meaning is not the same. Retarded means slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress. Retardant means a substance that is used to slow the speed of the reaction of a substance. They may have the same root word, but the meaning is entirely different.

Quoting USBrit:

Yes, I may have mis-spoke the "proper" word or mis-spelled, my point was that the meaning behind those words.....are the same! 

Quoting frogbender:

They aren't flame retarded clothes. They are flame retardant clothes. And your point is not missed. I actually agree because I have used the word in both music and horticulture. 

Quoting USBrit:

Seriously??? where do you think the word comes from?? They ALL mean the same thing!! But, there you go....my point was completely missed.

Quoting frogbender:

We call them flame retardant. A retardant is a substance capable of slowing the speed of a reaction. So there is a difference in meaning.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a "retarded" grandson......it is a word that by definition means slow....it is PEOPLE who have perverted the use of the word! Are we really that small that we have to eliminate a word from use. So what do we call flame retarded clothes. special clothes??? We need to wake up and learn to use words properly with their original intent, not eliminate them!! :( What a world we live in!

• LindaClement
    March 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

:D

Well, since I know that future learning is not impossible, the 'slowed' part is pretty darn slow these days...

Quoting futureshock:

Retarded would mean his learning was delayed, not stopped.

when his learning about 'where things go in the kitchen' has clearly been arrested entirely... it's not 'retarded'?

Quoting LindaClement:

You're probably right.

I'm okay with that. I find it far more interesting to understand other people's thinking than hearing echoes of my own.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

We are not going to agree on this issue.

Quoting LindaClement:

No... not him: his learning. It's clearly stopped...

If you think he's 'choosing' not to put things where they belong, you're ascribing a level of malice that I know is not present.

The thing about insults (and slurs of all kinds) is that people who hear them think they know all about the attitudes and beliefs of the people who say them... and conversely, a genuinely hateful bigot is completely free as long as they're silent.

Insults are only insulting if:

1. the 'insulted' agrees that they are insults and,

2. that the insult applies to them.

No one outside the 'insulted' person's head has anything to do with either.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are you asking if it's ok to call him retarded because he forgot where something goes in the kitchen? This would be everyday use of the word in a derogatory manor. You know he isn't retarded. He simply forgot or "Chose" to not put something back up. If you want to keep on using the word in whatever manor you wish simply continue. I'm not here to brow beat anyone into having a little compassion and thinking about others before they spout off words in public that can hurt others.

Quoting LindaClement:

So... when I say to my husband, who has an eye for detail and is meticulously neat and tidy, when his learning about 'where things go in the kitchen' has clearly been arrested entirely... it's not 'retarded'?

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts