Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
tscritch
What influence to parents have on their child's sexuality? S/O
February 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

What influence do you think a parent/s have on their child's sexuality?

Why do you think it?

Replies

• mehamil1
    February 28, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Outside of sexual abuse as a child, I really don't know. I'm pretty certain my son is straight and I know I had nothing to do with that. There is so much that goes into sexuality. It's not black and white by any means. Sexuality is fluid and there are very few people walking around that are 100% gay or 100% straight. That's just a fact of us as a species. 

• stormcris
    February 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I am not fully sure short of them condeming and causing the person distress over who they are. My parents had no influence on my sexuality. 

• EireLass
    February 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

For this question, you mean the child's gender? (thinking that because of all the recent posts...and the difference that keeps getting pointed out between sexuality and gender).

• redbutterfly666
    February 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM

idk about others but my parents had no influence on my sexuality

• pamelax3
    February 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My mom had no influence on my sexuality nor do I think I have any influence on my dd

• katzmeow726
    February 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I think they have a decent amount of influence (if we're not talking sexual orientation that is).

My parents were very open about sex.  I learned early on about the human body, and I never felt ashamed to ask questions. It put me in control of my sexuality, and I was comfortable with who I was at a young age.
      I did have sex young at 16 the first time.  My parents encouraged me to wait, and told me many times the risks of having sex early.  But it was because of their open talks that I was well aware of how things worked, and knew how to keep myself safe sexually.
       I also saw their committed relationship.  And I knew that was what I wanted.  DH and I were young when we had sex, but we were committed even at that age.  We talked a long time about risks and what ifs, and why we wanted to have sex.  
      I"m glad my parents talked openly with me abou sex, because it allowed me to do the same in my relationship.  Sure, looking back, DH and I took a big risk in taking our relationshp to a sexual one so early, but I wouldn't change a thing.  I have a healthy sexual relationshp because my parents didn't make it out to be taboo or wrong.  

• SilverSterling
    February 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I'm with the Majority I don't influence my children to be gay straight bi or whatever. They are born the way God made them regardless of who they love. I didn't randomly choose to be straight I was born Straight (OK more like bent but that's a different story) I love nurture and support my children and in the end they will find love and understanding and I will support them no matter who they love.

as to the sexual abuse statement I was Raped at age 4, again at age 12 and once as an Adult. Along with COUNTLESS counts of sexual Molestation and I can say with 100% certainty that None of that even had an effect on my sexuality but did make me more understanding to others who haven't come through it so well.

• coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.
  • Momniscient
    February 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Hard to say. Nurture and nature are hard to differentiate and it isn't something that is static anyway. It is fluid across ethncities, cultural boundaries, ideals and even socioeconomic statuses.

• Momniscient
    February 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Cinderella TOTALLY ate my two year old daughter. I mean swallowed whole :) I've read abstracts and critiques of the book. It is interesting.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts