tscritch
What influence to parents have on their child's sexuality? S/O
February 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

What influence do you think a parent/s have on their child's sexuality?

Why do you think it?

Replies

• Bookwormy
    February 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    We avoided all the the Disney princess crap until DD's former best friend introduced her to it. She is now in to it hook, line, & sinker. I felt soooo guilty when I read that book! I really wanted nothing to do with all that! Now when we go to DW, we're even going to the meal at the castle after BBB! Gag!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    February 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I have been the primary care giver to both of our children. My daughter is very much a tomboy, but feminine at the same time. She's tough, loves to play and get dirty. Prefers rocks and dirt to barbies and dolls but loves glitter. Our son is passive and gentle. He is incredibly unique but very influenced by his sister. He prefers playing with action figures like dinosaurs, as well as Barbie and Strawberry shortcake. He likes nail polish, lip gloss and pretty hair bows. He's 2.  I get frustrated with family members that try to pigeon hold my kids. I get very angry when family members suggest that I should punish him for playing with 'girls' toys.

I hope my children grow up to have a healthy sex life with whomever they choose. I don't think I can influence either of them one way or the other. What I can do is be supportive while they grow and figure it out.

• Bookwormy
    February 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    Are you talking orientation or healthy vs unhealthy?
  • coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    It's eye opening.

Quoting Bookwormy:

We avoided all the the Disney princess crap until DD's former best friend introduced her to it. She is now in to it hook, line, & sinker. I felt soooo guilty when I read that book! I really wanted nothing to do with all that! Now when we go to DW, we're even going to the meal at the castle after BBB! Gag!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Read the book "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" it has very interesting imformation about gender roles.

• Radarma
    by Radarma
    February 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM

None to the biological drive, but to the mind, a trememdous amount.

• mommaleela
    February 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Sexuality is innate.  The only thing a parent can do is be supportive and love their kid.  No matter what they are born as.

• FromAtoZ
    February 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I don't have any influence over my daughters sexuality.

• la_bella_vita
    March 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

No influence.

• KristenFowles
    March 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

DETERMINING the child's sexuality?  NONE.

It's already determined.   The influence parents' need to have is support.

• FrogSalad
    March 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

This.  Except for your comment about your first son.    Mine is too young yet to know if he's gay/straight/bi, etc., and I'm not sure how I would be able to influence him even if I had the desire to.  He's never expressed any discomfort with his gender so I assume that he's CIS.

All a parent can do is love and support their child or make the child feel like crap and hide their true feelings if it's not what the parent deems "acceptable". 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

My first son is openly heterosexual. My second son is too young to express his sexuality so I can't assume anything. I don't believe I've contributed anything to their sexuality other than helping them to understand it. As far as their gender is concerned, I was only able to contribute the x chromosome so not even their gender was up to me.
    I'm way more concerned with both of them finding a person they love and who loves them back, the gender is unimportant to me.