stormcris
City wants to disarm citizens during disaster
February 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. (WAAY) - A proposed disaster emergency ordinance in Guntersville is causing controversy.

The city council and mayor are considering a new ordinance that gives the city more power.

Mayor Leigh Dollar says it would ensure a quick response in the event of a major disaster, like the April 27, 2011, tornadoes.

But it would also give police officers more power.

The ordinance states officers could disarm individuals, if necessary.

Dollar says the proposal is just way to give officers more authority to protect themselves.

"We are not trying to infringe upon anyone constitutional rights whatsoever. It's just to protect the workers working out there in a disaster," Dollar said.

Paul Landry opposes the proposed ordinance. He's a music teacher at the Guntersville Music Academy.

"Well, it seems like an infringement on the 2nd Amendment and that's the biggest problem I have with it," Landry said.

The Mayor says Guntersville needs the new law.

Dollar wants to model after the city of Tuscaloosa where it's already on the books.

The proposed ordinance will be on the March 4th agenda at the next Guntersville City Council meeting.

http://www.waaytv.com/news/local/proposed-guntersville-ordinance-sparks-controversy/article_de92cec4-7fb0-11e2-a104-001a4bcf6878.html

Thoughts?

Replies

• romalove
    February 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Saying you aren't infringing on someone's Constitutional rights while you desire to infringe on their Constitutional rights doesn't mean you are not infringing.

In other words, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....

• tscritch
    February 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Are there a lot of gun owners shooting workers randomly after storms there?

• IhaveHisjoy
    February 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

This...

Quoting romalove:

Saying you aren't infringing on someone's Constitutional rights while you desire to infringe on their Constitutional rights doesn't mean you are not infringing.

• stormcris
    February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I am not aware of any and a quick search did not show up any.

Quoting tscritch:

• tscritch
    February 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Well then this law makes total sense!!! lol

Quoting stormcris:

I am not aware of any and a quick search did not show up any.

Quoting tscritch:

• CatFishMom
    February 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yeah, and if looters show up with their own guns, how are people supposed to defend themselves against them? Sorry, an emergency situation is EXACTLY when people should be armed-and Im not exactly a pro-gun person. I live in FL and Ive been through several nasty hurricanes-I know the chaos that comes with storms and theres no way I would give up a weapon if I had one, 'just because'.

• survivorinohio
    February 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    Quoting romalove:

• pamelax3
    February 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

once again there is no sensible reason for this, leave the people with their weapons and if not make sure you have enough  police on hand to guard each family

• pixie92
    by pixie92
    March 1, 2013 at 3:50 AM
    this never goes well
  • turtle68
    March 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM

are they talking about marshal law being put in place and enforcing regulations that would otherwise be unconstitutionalized?  If so...yeah I can see how guns in the hands of vigilantes running around.  If not then...how other than if you are out shooting at something or someone would they know that you have guns?