candlegal
BOB WOODWARD: A 'Very Senior' White House Person Warned Me I'd 'Regret' What I'm Doing
February 28, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a "very senior person" at the White House warned him in an email that he would "regret doing this," the same day he has continued to slam President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

"It makes me very uncomfortable to have the White House telling reporters, 'You're going to regret doing something that you believe in,'" Woodward said.

"I think they're confused," Woodward said of the White House's pushback on his reporting.

Earlier today on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Woodward ripped into Obama in what has become an ongoing feud between the veteran Washington Post journalist and the White House. Woodward said Obama was showing a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.

The Defense Department said in early February that it would not deploy the U.S.S. Harry Truman to the Persian Gulf, citing budget concerns relating to the looming cuts known as the sequester.

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said on MSNBC

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document?"

Last weekend, Woodward called out Obama for what he said was "moving the goal posts" on the sequester by requesting that revenue be part of a deal to avert it.

Replies

• Donna6503
    February 28, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    This maybe a news flash, the war between the press and politicians is as old as our republic.
  • lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 28, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Woodward was also threatened when he and Bernstein were digging up dirt on the Nixon Administration during Watergate. I guess if you uncover truths, certain people might want to get even or at least scare you out of continuing your quest for the truth,right? I think that is what is going on. Or is Woodward just on a mission to discredit people, starting with Watergate way back in the70's all the way to the present ? Will we ever know?

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said on MSNBC.

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document

Wellll, it would have been good if Bush had NOT spent the money on invading Iraq. And Woodward sounds like he is becoming a war-mongering conservative. I don't trust this guy any more.

• LizzieAnnesMom
    February 28, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Ll if bush had said that, the debt wouldn't be as bad. Someone needs to say, hey these wars are expensive as hell, lets not do this, we already got the bastard.
  • coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Yep. But OP doesn't care, this is just another post to make everyone dislike and distrust the President. It's hardly news.

Quoting Donna6503:

This maybe a news flash, the war between the press and politicians is as old as our republic.
  • LoveMyBoyK
    February 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    So it is okay with you when the WH threatens/bullies the press? Or is it that you just do not want this particular WH criticized for it?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Yep. But OP doesn't care, this is just another post to make everyone dislike and distrust the President. It's hardly news.

Quoting Donna6503:

• candlegal
    February 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM

LOL, and yet here you are responding and giving it credibility.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting Donna6503:

• coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    No I don't think it's OK, no I don't think this WH should do it. I don't think anyone should. Period.

The press and WH have hated each other for YEARS. It's not new. They're oil and water. It's not new and as long as news is reported on by people, it won't end. It's human nature. And the press can be bullies too. It's not one sided and it's bi-partisan.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So it is okay with you when the WH threatens/bullies the press? Or is it that you just do not want this particular WH criticized for it?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting Donna6503:

• pvtjokerus
    February 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You mean Congress and Senate spent money on the Iraqi war.  Get your facts straight.  BOTH parties voted for the war and BOTH parties voted to spend the money for the war multiple times.  How do you think Bush would have been able to do so IF BOTH PARTIES did not vote for the monies???? 

I also find it pathetic that the above statement you say that Woodward could be basically uncovering the truth but below you write that you don't trust him just because he is trying to protect our country.  Sounds like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.......again.

Quoting lga1965:

Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said on MSNBC.

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document

Wellll, it would have been good if Bush had NOT spent the money on invading Iraq. And Woodward sounds like he is becoming a war-mongering conservative. I don't trust this guy any more.

• coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    I don't want your efforts to go to waste! You work hard.

Quoting candlegal:

LOL, and yet here you are responding and giving it credibility.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting Donna6503: