Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
ACLU backs off. Free speech entitles student to wear anti-gay t-shirt
February 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

School allows student to wear anti-gay T-shirt

Updated:   02/27/2013 12:22:18 AM EST

Wednesday February 27, 2013

WOLCOTT, Conn. (AP) -- Officials in a Connecticut school district have backed down in a fight over free speech rights, allowing a student to wear a T-shirt bearing an anti-gay message.

The lawyer for the school district this month wrote to the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut, saying Wolcott High School student Seth Groody may wear the T-shirt, which bears a slash mark through a rainbow. The other side showed a male and female stick figure holding hands above the message "Excessive Speech Day," the ACLU of Connecticut said.

The ACLU said Groody wore the shirt April 20, which was designated as a day of awareness of harassment toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Groody complied with an order from a school administrator that he remove his shirt and replace it with one depicting a Wolcott High School symbol, the ACLU said.

Sandra Staub, legal director of the ACLU of Connecticut, said the district’s reversal teaches students that the First Amendment "is not merely a theoretical discussion topic but a real and vital guarantee" of free speech rights.

The ACLU prepared a lawsuit to be filed in federal court demanding that the school district be stopped from enforcing its T-shirt ban and that no disciplinary measures be taken against Groody.

Without elaborating, school lawyer Christine Chinni wrote to the ACLU on Feb. 14, saying Groody may wear the T-shirt. She declined

to comment beyond what she wrote in the letter.

Edward Groody, Seth’s father, referred questions to the ACLU.

The ACLU disagrees "very strongly" with Seth’s views on gay rights, but its opinion has no bearing on his right to express those views, Staub said.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22676439/school-allows-student-wear-anti-gay-t-shirt?source=most_viewed

Replies

• krysstizzle
    February 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Who, exactly, has suggested that?

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

What's next, I'm going to have to tolerate pedophilia?  To hell with that

• Ravishing_dame

Everyone's claiming they're sexual orientations, so yeah.  I'm told I have to TOLERATE homosexuality.  Since this country is so big on equality, pedophiles are next to come out, telling us to TOLERATE them.  It's bullshit

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Is homosexuality and pedophilia in any way related?

• TranquilMind

Yes...both are sexual practices involving, shall we say, nontraditional objects of attraction.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

• romalove

Quoting TranquilMind:

As long as it is equally administered, that's fine.  You can't allow the rainbow wearers to continue and silence only people like this guy though - which is what it sounds like many of you would approve. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

He didn't say anything about anyone. 

This is no different than if he decided to wear a shirt that said that had a slash over a bubble with the word "polygamy", indicating "No polygamy".  He isn't "hating" individuals who practice polygamy.  He is simply objecting to the principle. It isn't personal. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

I agree with the outcome, he has his write to his speech.  He has a write to his feeling about homosexuality.  People need to quit this childish labeling, calling him a "hater."  There are lot of people, including myself, that don't like hearing about homosexuality nor seeing it.  Sorry. 

You are very funny.

He should have the "write" to say what he wants about homosexuals but those who oppose his views should quit "childish labeling"?  

LMAO

Listen, in public school (private too) the school has an interest in promoting peacefulness.  If they determine that someone's clothing message will be inciting riot or other upset at the school, they "can" determine that it's offensive to the school community and ask that it not be worn.

Furthermore, if the school doesn't want to get involved in "who's is OK and who's isn't" they can make a general rule of no messages on clothing at all.

Good grief the stupidity is just too much sometimes.

I said before in this thread and I will say again, if there is any question about people being rude to one another through messages on shirts in school, whether through words or through logos or pictures, the school can and should implement a "no logo word or picture" policy for clothing.  That would be to keep the school at peace.

I personally would never let my child wear something that would be offensive to others, but I don't have children that would want to.

Having said that, there are enough people who are haters at heart who think it's OK to spread hate that I'm on board with a zero tolerance for any messages policy.

• krysstizzle
    February 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I'm sure WBC free speech rights would be restricted in a public school setting...

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one attempts to restrict the free speech rights of WBC, regardless of their opinions.  Because that's how a free society works. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Interesting...when the hate is against gays, it's OK but people get up in arms over Westboro Baptist Church's hate. Hate is hate.

• TranquilMind

They ARE coming out, objecting to the disdain against their practices.  After all, they were just born that way in being attracted to young bodies. 

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Everyone's claiming they're sexual orientations, so yeah.  I'm told I have to TOLERATE homosexuality.  Since this country is so big on equality, pedophiles are next to come out, telling us to TOLERATE them.  It's bullshit

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

• slashteddy
    Free speech should not cover hate speech.
  • parentalrights1

HOLY SHIT I GOT MY FIRST NASTY GRAM IN PRIVATE MESSAGES

I always thought people were bullshitting about those, because they never happened to me lol.

More teenagery remarks from someone who can't argue intelligently. No ravishing_dame. I'm not a lesbian. I'm just not a complete moron.

• krysstizzle
    February 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Malarkey.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes...both are sexual practices involving, shall we say, nontraditional objects of attraction.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

• romalove
    February 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

If I have to tolerate your gross attitude and stupidity, then you have to tolerate gay people.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts