Ms.KitKat
Is there ABORTion Options counseling?
February 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This has been bothering me for some time. I know that there are state laws which regulate and require options counseling for parents considering ADOPTion.There are also state laws and regualtions that mandate when and how soon parents can voluntarily terminate their parental rights. In fact, biological fathers are required to sign as well- as long as they are known.

But when it comes to ABORTion? And I am NOT speaking about those "Pregnancy Centers" run and organized by the pro-life/anti-abortion sect.

I mean to say, in those clinics / hospitals / faciltiies where ABORTions are performed, are there counslors on hand, free of charge, who provide options counseling providing alternatives to abortion?

1- In this options counseling, are the women (and men too) counseled as to their rights, their options and what the emotional toll(s) abortion may and can have on them after the fact?

2- Are alternatives to abortion provided and reviewed including parenting the child,

placing the child in foster care,

placing the child with a trusted family member or friend,

day care and public assitance options,

or adoption?

while indicating that abortion is only one option?

and one of last resort when all other options have been fully explored, considered and rejected?    

and they have to wait a certain period of time to consider their options before they can have an abortion?

and there must be a certain number of options sessions prior to giving consent to abortion? (or sign a release waiving their right to counseling?)

and the biological father is encouarged and required  (if he is known) to particpate and also give consent to the abortion process?

That all attempts to locate the biological father are completed, including obtaining an attorney to conduct a legal search so that the father can give consent?

Lastly, are women and men counseled not just about the medical "procedure" but the emotional cost(s) of aborton?

I ask this all because when it comes to adoption, all of this must occur PRIOR to taking a voluntary termination of parental rights? 

Replies

• Lurion
    by Lurion
    February 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

This was years ago, but when I was single and pregnant, Planned Parenthood gave me a very thorough questionnaire--psychological, asked about religious beliefs, etc. They suggested counseling before making any decisions. 

I felt their counselor was very fair, unbaised, no hidden agendas or opinions as to what I should do. She gave me all kinds of good information on all the options--abortion, adoption and parenting. I believe I went to 2 or 3 sessions before making my decision. 

It seems to me that you may have a bias toward thinking that women who have abortions are often plagued by their decision afterward? Honestly, I know an awful lot of women who had abortions and only one who really regretted it. 

• Ms.KitKat
    February 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thank you for your response.

I assure you however, I have NO "bias" as you say.

I genuinely wish to know and have an understanding- hence the questions.

Quoting Lurion:

This was years ago, but when I was single and pregnant, Planned Parenthood gave me a very thorough questionnaire--psychological, asked about religious beliefs, etc. They suggested counseling before making any decisions. 

I felt their counselor was very fair, unbaised, no hidden agendas or opinions as to what I should do. She gave me all kinds of good information on all the options--abortion, adoption and parenting. I believe I went to 2 or 3 sessions before making my decision. 

It seems to me that you may have a bias toward thinking that women who have abortions are often plagued by their decision afterward? Honestly, I know an awful lot of women who had abortions and only one who really regretted it. 

• LindaClement
    February 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I think this speaks to the emotional blast-zone of adoption, which few people even know about much less acknowledge.

It's not 'easier' than abortion. It's far, far more complicated.

• FromAtoZ
    February 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Waive their right to counseling?  If they choose not to go through sessions in regards to their options they waive their right to counseling?  Does this mean forever?  

Who is it that determines the emotional cost?  Some counselor, a doctor, a Priest........who, exactly?   No one can determine other than the individual.  

If some one wants to locate the father, that cost should be on them, not the woman.  If she does not know the father or the father has walked away, no one should force her to pay an attorney, or otherwise, to locate the man.

Although I do understand that often times, the man suffers at the hands of the woman having the choice to abort......until he can carry and birth a child, he should never have to consent to a medical procedure that does not involve his own body.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    February 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    A father has no rights concerning abortion.
  • FromAtoZ
    February 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM

When I was 17, I had an abortion.  It was not through PP.  I was seen at a local woman's clinic and referred to a doctor within the local hospital for the procedure.

I was counseled by a lovely woman who was a psychologist and the doctor working that day.  I was given a significant amount of literature to read and several numbers to call with any questions or just to talk. 

They asked that I wait 24 hours prior to making the appointment with the doctor at the hospital.  I did.  My appointment was a week later.

I read every thing.  

But my mind was made  up and I do not regret the decision I made at that time in my life.

A week after the procedure, a nurse called me to see how I was doing, both emotionally and physically.  She was very kind and non judgemental.

Any thing other than that, I would have felt pressured to do as some one else wanted.  It was not about any one else.

• GoddessNDaRuff
    February 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    No the father does not have to consent the woman is not his property and it's HER body.
    Yes they provide counseling and then you have to wait 24 hours before an abortion. In fact some places have mandated speeches.

And the only alternative to pregnancy is not being pregnant. Those other options are parenting options. You still have to go through the pregnancy. If a woman does not wish to do that then parenting options are a moot point, don't ya think?
  • Ms.KitKat
    February 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Thank you for sharing so openly and honestly.

I am very glad to know you received counseling and were provided with alternative options so that way you were able to give a fully informed consent.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

When I was 17, I had an abortion.  It was not through PP.  I was seen at a local woman's clinic and referred to a doctor within the local hospital for the procedure.

I was counseled by a lovely woman who was a psychologist and the doctor working that day.  I was given a significant amount of literature to read and several numbers to call with any questions or just to talk. 

They asked that I wait 24 hours prior to making the appointment with the doctor at the hospital.  I did.  My appointment was a week later.

I read every thing.  

But my mind was made  up and I do not regret the decision I made at that time in my life.

A week after the procedure, a nurse called me to see how I was doing, both emotionally and physically.  She was very kind and non judgemental.

Any thing other than that, I would have felt pressured to do as some one else wanted.  It was not about any one else.

• FromAtoZ
    February 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Thank you for sharing so openly and honestly.

I am very glad to know you received counseling and were provided with alternative options so that way you were able to give a fully informed consent.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I read every thing.  

You are welcome.  I have no shame in the decision I made at that time.  It was my only option and I knew it.  But I respected those who were there and realized they had a job to do.

This was many years ago.   I am now 48.

• Ms.KitKat
    February 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

When I wrote about waiving the right to counseling-I was speaking in terms of what occurs in adoption. if a mother/father refuses counseling which they are entitled to a ceratin number of sessions under the law, the mother/father must sign a waiver indicating that they were fully informed of their right to counseling and have refused to particpate. This document must be on file if there are no cousneling sessions. And no, it does not mean forever. The parents are free to change their mind at any time.

Re: emotional costs- as determined by scientific/ social studies which have been tested and documented (if any)

In regards to adoption, all legal expenses are covered by the prospective adoptive parents. NOT the expectant/birth parent. And if there is no biological father, this must be documented very carefully. if the mother knows who the biolgical father, all attempts must be made to locate him and secure his consent and or termination of parental rights.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Waive their right to counseling?  If they choose not to go through sessions in regards to their options they waive their right to counseling?  Does this mean forever?  

Who is it that determines the emotional cost?  Some counselor, a doctor, a Priest........who, exactly?   No one can determine other than the individual.  

If some one wants to locate the father, that cost should be on them, not the woman.  If she does not know the father or the father has walked away, no one should force her to pay an attorney, or otherwise, to locate the man.

Although I do understand that often times, the man suffers at the hands of the woman having the choice to abort......until he can carry and birth a child, he should never have to consent to a medical procedure that does not involve his own body.