Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Debmomto2girls
Sick of a**hole Doctors EDITED FOR LATEST UPDATE
February 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM
****UPDATE: 2/25... I had all my tests and NO signs of cancer. I cannot tell you the relief I feel. Thanks for all the good wishes!******

m sick of medical professionals thinking they can pick and choose what to tell a patient. As a nurse, I have been taught the patient has the right know everything.

I had a mammogram about 3 weeks ago ordered by my PCP and asked for my midwife (who does my gyn care) to get a copy. 2 weeks go by and nothing. I think everything is fine. On a Saturday I get a letter from the hospital stating I needed further testing. Fine. I call my PCP on Monday and he says it's nothing. I need a spot compression mammography and us. I said "did they see nodules?" he said "no. The pictures aren't clear. I question him because why would they do a spot compression if there are nodules. Still he says nothing. I now get a letter and call from my midwife saying I have 3 nodules.. 1 in the right and 2 in the left breast. I call my PCP and he said he "didn't want me to worry". WTF?? I went off on him and I'm getting a new PCP.

Sorry for the rant but it pisses me off!

UPDATE: this gets worse. I've had the worst UTI

Of my life this week. I was on 2 antibiotics and finally had to go to the ER on Wednesday night. They did a CT scan to rule out kidney stones. My PCP ( I can't switch yet) said everything was clear. My UTI is still bad so he sent me to a urologist today. He tells " I am sure your doctor told you this but your CT scan showed a nodule

on your left lower lobe. Again he lied! I can't switch until I get these tests done. It will take too long and I want these tests done now. So, now I am going on Monday for all the tests. He said it is probably nothing. I had to insist on the ct of the chest. When this is over, I'm reporting him.

I wasn't that afraid before but am scared shitless now

Replies

• kaylasmom22
    February 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    I will be super pissed if my pcp did that.
  • Bieg9093
    February 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I hope you went off hard!  That's disgusting behavior.  You asked him outright, fer cryin' out loud!  (Much luck with your nodules, btw.)

My dad is still with a doc who chose not to tell him about his chronic myeloid leukemia.  It's an extremely slow growing condition and the doc expects that Dad will die of something else long before the cancer gets him.  So the doc didn't say anything, but when Dad went to his doc's associate for a sore throat, the associate saw the high wbc, did more testing and informed Dad of his condition.  The next week when Dad followed up with his regular doc, the guy said "I've been keeping an eye on that...but it's nothing for you to worry about."

I talked to Dad about the myriad of ways this is wrong...Doc ROBBED him of a second opinion and other possible treatments.  Doc has no idea if Dad is going to continue to come for regular check ups, so "keeping an eye on it" only works if Dad knows not to blow off check-ups.  And really, it's just so condescending.  Yet Dad feels like Doc must really care and keeps going to the guy.

• fullxbusymom
    February 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

They try to save you from worrying until there is reason to worry.  Most people panic and have melt downs before they ever get a definitive diagnosis.  Honestly this is the practice of a lot of doctors now a days. 

• katy_kay08
    February 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you.  I hope your follow up comes back good.  

My heart doctor neglected to tell me that beyond the two leaking heart valves I also had an enlarged heart/heart failure until a year later when I went for my follow up and he told me it had all corrected itself.  

It would have helped explain why I was always so quick to get winded when trying to exercise.  

• ..MoonShine..
    February 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Which is really unfortunate, as we have a right to know what's going on with/in our own bodies. What if she wanted to seek alternatives? 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They try to save you from worrying until there is reason to worry.  Most people panic and have melt downs before they ever get a definitive diagnosis.  Honestly this is the practice of a lot of doctors now a days. 

OP...I hope everything turns out ok. I think you're doing the right thing...I'd be finding a new PCP, too. 

• Debmomto2girls
    February 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Thank you and that is awful the doctor didn't tell your Dad! That doctor is a disgrace.

Quoting Bieg9093:

I hope you went off hard!  That's disgusting behavior.  You asked him outright, fer cryin' out loud!  (Much luck with your nodules, btw.)

My dad is still with a doc who chose not to tell him about his chronic myeloid leukemia.  It's an extremely slow growing condition and the doc expects that Dad will die of something else long before the cancer gets him.  So the doc didn't say anything, but when Dad went to his doc's associate for a sore throat, the associate saw the high wbc, did more testing and informed Dad of his condition.  The next week when Dad followed up with his regular doc, the guy said "I've been keeping an eye on that...but it's nothing for you to worry about."

I talked to Dad about the myriad of ways this is wrong...Doc ROBBED him of a second opinion and other possible treatments.  Doc has no idea if Dad is going to continue to come for regular check ups, so "keeping an eye on it" only works if Dad knows not to blow off check-ups.  And really, it's just so condescending.  Yet Dad feels like Doc must really care and keeps going to the guy.

• Debmomto2girls
    February 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    That is awful! What if your condition got worse. I work in a heart failure floor and something like that could get worse. I'm glad it resolved.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I'm sorry that happened to you.  I hope your follow up comes back good.  

My heart doctor neglected to tell me that beyond the two leaking heart valves I also had an enlarged heart/heart failure until a year later when I went for my follow up and he told me it had all corrected itself.  

It would have helped explain why I was always so quick to get winded when trying to exercise.  

• Debmomto2girls
    February 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    I've been with this doctor for 15 years. I've had some serious medical problems and have never had a meltdown. I've had a small stroke and a virus which attacked my liver. I went thru a lot with that. He knows me and knows I'm a nurse. He point blank lied to me and it's unethical. He let his practice get too big and is drowning. Not my problem.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    February 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

That kind of stuff is annoying. I'm not in the medical field, but I've been told by my clinic's nurse practitioner that any news regarding diagnosis, xray reading etc. has to be given by a nurse, dr. or NP.

• FromAtoZ
    February 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    I would be looking for a new PCP as well. Honesty is always best. It isn't his place to decide to worry you, or otherwise, what to tell and what to hold back.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts