Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
..MoonShine..
California may have to hire a Wiccan Chaplain
February 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Court: Calif. may have to hire Wiccan chaplain

By PAUL ELIAS Associated Press
Updated:   02/19/2013 11:54:29 AM PST

SAN FRANCISCO—A federal appeals court has ruled that Wiccan prisoners may be entitled to the services of a salaried chaplain.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday overturned a lower court decision that tossed out a lawsuit filed by two prisoners at the Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla. The appeals court says the failure of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to hire a Wiccan chaplain may unconstitutionally show preference to five other religions represented by full-time chaplains.

The corrections department pays chaplains to minister to Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Protestant and Native American inmates.

It reported 183 Wiccan prisoners in 2007 after recording about twice that number in 2002. There are about 150,000 inmates in California prisons today.

The appeals court ordered the trial judge to reconsider the lawsuit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22621438/court-calif-may-have-hire-wiccan-chaplain

Replies

• TerriAnne2606
    February 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Good.  Glad to hear this.

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    February 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

cool... well, not cool that they are in prison, but yeah

• GotSomeKids
    February 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Makes me wonder if the military has Wiccan chaplains. 

• paganbaby
    February 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Good for Cali!

• punky3175
    February 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    Someone define 'chaplain' for me please because when I hear it, I really think Christian from my time in the military.
  • kailu1835
    February 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    I'm confused. Wiccans don't have a "leader". They have covens, or they're solitary. What do they need a chaplain for?
  • ..MoonShine..
    February 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    Christians, in general, don't really have a "leader". The Pope is not a "leader" for all Christians. So what's the point of a Christian chaplain? Or a Jewish one? It is someone available for any spiritual needs they might have. Probably would be a HP or HPs.

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm confused. Wiccans don't have a "leader". They have covens, or they're solitary. What do they need a chaplain for?
  • kailu1835
    February 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    I was actually thinking about this while driving and had a huge duh moment lol

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Christians, in general, don't really have a "leader". The Pope is not a "leader" for all Christians. So what's the point of a Christian chaplain? Or a Jewish one? It is someone available for any spiritual needs they might have. Probably would be a HP or HPs.

Quoting kailu1835:

• Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    February 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Eh...not  yet, well, not as an MOS, like an actual Military Chaplain, part of a Unit type thing... I know that there are 'services' on post that are given by civilians for the military and that chaplains are 'educated' about Wicca... 

• mikiemom
    February 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The Air Force  Acadamy has a Wiccan Pagan ritual area. I've heard it's quite beautiful. I believe the Marine Corps has Wiccan chaplains but I know the Air Force didn't in 2003 when my exh researched it. That is why he chose to put Celtic Pagan on his dog tags because the Air Force didn't have any Pagan chaplains.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts