Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
..MoonShine..
California may have to hire a Wiccan Chaplain
February 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Court: Calif. may have to hire Wiccan chaplain

By PAUL ELIAS Associated Press
Updated:   02/19/2013 11:54:29 AM PST

SAN FRANCISCO—A federal appeals court has ruled that Wiccan prisoners may be entitled to the services of a salaried chaplain.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday overturned a lower court decision that tossed out a lawsuit filed by two prisoners at the Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla. The appeals court says the failure of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to hire a Wiccan chaplain may unconstitutionally show preference to five other religions represented by full-time chaplains.

The corrections department pays chaplains to minister to Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Protestant and Native American inmates.

It reported 183 Wiccan prisoners in 2007 after recording about twice that number in 2002. There are about 150,000 inmates in California prisons today.

The appeals court ordered the trial judge to reconsider the lawsuit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22621438/court-calif-may-have-hire-wiccan-chaplain

Replies

• sha_lyn68
    February 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

According to some pagan groups I've been on, that has been the accusation launched at those of us who identify as conservative in any area. IE we were told that since we support private gun ownership that we must be Christian trolls trying to infiltrate the group.

Quoting mikiemom:

lol Yes - well didn't you know if you're not christian you can't be conservative - ROFL

• kailu1835
    February 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I know :)  I already retracted my statement.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm confused. Wiccans don't have a "leader". They have covens, or they're solitary. What do they need a chaplain for?

Covens have leaders. In covens that are part of larger traditions, there are often leaders who are above the high priest and priestess of the covens.

• sha_lyn68
    February 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm confused. Wiccans don't have a "leader". They have covens, or they're solitary. What do they need a chaplain for?

Covens have leaders. In covens that are part of larger traditions, there are often leaders who are above the high priest and priestess of the covens.

I saw your "duh moment" comment, but that didn't really address leadership. I was just explaining that there is leadership roles and a hierarchy system in some traditions of Wicca.

• kailu1835
    February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The comment I responded to, discussed High Priests and Priestesses.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kailu1835:

I saw your "duh moment" comment, but that didn't really address leadership. I was just explaining that there is leadership roles and a hierarchy system in some traditions of Wicca.

• toomanypoodles
    February 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I'm all for religious freedom.  As long as ministers of all faiths are there for inmates, Wiccans should have their faith represented as well. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
There are no posts to display.
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN