TruthSeeker.
Sniper Posts Pic of Palestinian Child in Crosshairs
February 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

JERUSALEM - A photo posted online by an Israeli soldier showing a child in the crosshairs of a rifle scope has created a firestorm on the internet, drawing widespread criticism.

The photo was reportedly posted on Jan. 25 by Mor Ostrovski, 20, a member of an Israeli sniper unit. It shows crosshairs zeroed in on the back of the head of what appears to be a Palestinian boy in a village. The photo has since been taken down and Ostrovski's account has been deactivated.

"There are no other images to suggest that the photographer actually fired at the person in the image in this case," wrote Palestinian activist Ali Abuminah who runs the site Electronic Intifada and drew much of the attention to the photo. "The image is simply tasteless and dehumanizing. It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets."

Before the account was taken down, Abuminah posted other photos from Ostrovski's account that showed him in his olive green uniform holding a variety of weapons, including a sniper rifle.

Eytan Buchman, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, told ABC News that Ostrovski told his commander on Saturday that he had not taken the photo himself but that he'd taken it off the internet. No disciplinary action will be taken.

Full article here.

Thoughts?

Replies

• tweety101149
    February 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM

IF.  One of the smallest words in the English dictionary that can cover over a million possibilities.  We don't know if the child is Palestinian, or Israeli.  We do know that the child is alive at the time the picture was taken, and the soldier had control and is not a child killer.  I am sure there are children killed on both sides of the line.  Blame belongs on both sides. It is not just an Israel as the bully..here..,

Quoting stacymomof2:

"If" you say?

That's disgusting.  And blaming it on Palestinians?  An Israeli sniper posted it.  My God.  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If the images is tastelessand dehumanizing why has ABC and Yahoo and the OP posted such an offensive picture?  Palestinians regularly place children in danger for propaganda. 

• Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    February 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    Nope. If there were soldiers in my country murderin innocent people and taking our homes I'd punch him too.

And please... A child's fist versus a Sniper rifle? Seriously?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

No I don't find the AllBarackChannel to be more creditable.  You still have no idea why the picture was posted.  Sorry but it's hard to be offended by a picture when Palestinians are launching missiles. 

Here is a picture of a Palestinian child is this offensive?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Are you asking me if ABC news is more credible than Jihadwatch?  Including a quote from a spokesman from the Israeli Defense Forces confirming it?

"Eytan Buchman, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, told ABC News that Ostrovski told his commander on Saturday that he had not taken the photo himself but that he'd taken it off the internet. No disciplinary action will be taken.

"The picture in question does not coincide with IDF's values or code of ethics," the spokesman added in an e-mailed statement." FROM THE OP'S LINK 

The answer is yes, ABC news is more credible.  And Jihad watch is a hate site, no matter how much you love what is says.  Do you really not know how to identify something credible?  Work with me here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

You have no idea why the picture was posted.  There are no links listed that even verify if the story is true.  The article states the facebook page was taken down, right....it's hard to believeno one would have a saved screen shot of something so offensive? 

Interesting how you discredit anything from Jihadwatch, which contains documented links people can check to verify, yet you believe the OP's article without question....

Quoting stacymomof2:

"If" you say?

That's disgusting.  And blaming it on Palestinians?  An Israeli sniper posted it.  My God.  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If the images is tastelessand dehumanizing why has ABC and Yahoo and the OP posted such an offensive picture?  Palestinians regularly place children in danger for propaganda. 

• KristenFowles
    February 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Disturbing.

• amberstars
    February 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I love how some Americans are like "we need to support Israel and kill off all the murdering Arabs/Muslims."  Many Americans forget or apparently don't know that by supporting Israel you're also in favor of killing Palestinian Christians because there are Christians living in Palestine.  That photo sums up what pro-Israel/anti-Muslim and anti-Arab people believe about Arabs and Palestinians.  It's tactless  and stupid.

• stacymomof2
    February 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

You can't be serious.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  What could possibly be the reason it was posted that would excuse posting it?  

And no, the other pic isn't offensive.  The soldier is a grown man with a gun.  (hint, not helpless with his back turned.  And the girl has no gun.)

You are blinded by hate.  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

No I don't find the AllBarackChannel to be more creditable.  You still have no idea why the picture was posted.  Sorry but it's hard to be offended by a picture when Palestinians are launching missiles. 

Here is a picture of a Palestinian child is this offensive?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Are you asking me if ABC news is more credible than Jihadwatch?  Including a quote from a spokesman from the Israeli Defense Forces confirming it?

"Eytan Buchman, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, told ABC News that Ostrovski told his commander on Saturday that he had not taken the photo himself but that he'd taken it off the internet. No disciplinary action will be taken.

"The picture in question does not coincide with IDF's values or code of ethics," the spokesman added in an e-mailed statement." FROM THE OP'S LINK 

The answer is yes, ABC news is more credible.  And Jihad watch is a hate site, no matter how much you love what is says.  Do you really not know how to identify something credible?  Work with me here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

You have no idea why the picture was posted.  There are no links listed that even verify if the story is true.  The article states the facebook page was taken down, right....it's hard to believeno one would have a saved screen shot of something so offensive? 

Interesting how you discredit anything from Jihadwatch, which contains documented links people can check to verify, yet you believe the OP's article without question....

Quoting stacymomof2:

"If" you say?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

• stacymomof2
    February 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

No, we don't know.  But there is no question what was intended.  You don't mean to say that the Israeli was pointing a gun at another Israeli?  

It is the dehumanization of people that is disgusting.  That pic means that that person is garbage, a waste, not a human being.  

Quoting tweety101149:

IF.  One of the smallest words in the English dictionary that can cover over a million possibilities.  We don't know if the child is Palestinian, or Israeli.  We do know that the child is alive at the time the picture was taken, and the soldier had control and is not a child killer.  I am sure there are children killed on both sides of the line.  Blame belongs on both sides. It is not just an Israel as the bully..here..,

Quoting stacymomof2:

"If" you say?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

• tweety101149
    February 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Stacy you know I usually do not engage in the anti-Israel hate posts.   We don' know at all.  This child could have been Israeli. We don't know where the picture was taken how the picture was posed. Was this boy sitting at the bottom of steps in a neutral area?; if he was Palestinian, then even though the  picture was horrifying it was also enlightening that the child was not shot, the soldier did not kill him.., they (Israelis) are not the monsters most of the anti Israel post try to point them out to be.   All I am saying is the We don't know ...and it is time the two sides meet and declared PEACE upon one another..because they both have a bigger and more ferocious enemy facing them and other middle east countries.

Quoting stacymomof2:

No, we don't know.  But there is no question what was intended.  You don't mean to say that the Israeli was pointing a gun at another Israeli?  

It is the dehumanization of people that is disgusting.  That pic means that that person is garbage, a waste, not a human being.  

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting stacymomof2:

"If" you say?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

• ethans_momma06
    February 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

There are a lot of assumptions here.

There is the assumption that the scope is attatched to a gun.

That the gun is loaded.

That the photographer was an IDF soldier.

That the young man who posted the picture on FB was the one who took it.

That the boy is a boy and not a young man, or man, period.

That the boy is Palestinian.

That the boy is unaware of what is happening.

We ask our selves WHY would that young man take/share it. I'll tell you why-

This is an extremely powerful shot. It has given a great majority of women here an immediate emotional reaction. There is a representation of feeling.

We have no way of knowing WHAT emotion it gave that particular soldier. What it represented TO HIM.

Does it represent that palestinian children are targets? Does it represent that he feels he is in the position to possibly take the life of an unsuspecting, innocent, everyday person? And if it did- how would we even know how that made him feel? And, the possibilities could go on.

But, even pretending that he is just a horrible person who thinks shooting children is awesome, right, just-

doesn't make that indicitive of Israel, or Israelis. You can already see condemnation from them, from the IDF over this. Yet, as always- there is such a rush to demonize THE ENTIRE COUNTRY over BS like this. And why?