Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
talia-mom
Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps
February 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

Replies

• Trollslayer
    April 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Quoting specialwingz:

thank you

Quoting Trollslayer:

Quoting specialwingz:

You, too, are missing the point.  I get that ounce per ounce, homemade chili is cheaper.  But, to make that pot of chili, a person has to buy all the components.  IE...meat, cans of beans, cans of tomato sauce, cans of tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Many people don't have a heavily stocked spice cabinet.  For the amount of all the components for that pot of chili, a struggling person could have bought 2 cans of chili, a bag of fritos (for frito chili pie, which stretches the chili), a chunk of cheese (from WIC) to shred for the top.  AND...still have money left over to buy milk, boxed mac & cheese (which I'm sure you also consider junk), but a 50 cent box will feed 4 people along with a .69 can of green beans.  But, when it comes down to a $20 to feed your family for a week, it sure as hell wouldn't be spent on a pot of chili that we have to eat 4 nights in a row.  It's going to be spent on as many cheap meals as possible to add variety.

You just have no clue what it's like to have to struggle.  I've been there.  And, I hope I never have to be there again.  But, I will say that it taught me not to judge others and to have comapssion for them, as well.  Which many of you could do with a good lesson in those areas.

Judgement is ugly and your energy is better spent on more positive things, like minding your own business and taking care of your family the way YOU choose instead of negatively judging others.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Making your own chili is NOT more expensive than the canned version, if you look at the yield of each. One can of chili wouldn't feed 4 people, plus give you left overs for lunch the next day. It costs me roughly 5 dollars(that is including chili meat) for a big pot of chili, for 4 people and I have plenty left over for either lunch for all 4 of us, or a new meal for dinner. One can of even the cheapest chili here is over 2 dollars, so no, it isn't cheaper to buy canned chili. There isn't much that goes into chili. Spices are extremely cheap and so are beans, and if you omit the meat, it's even cheaper. Beans are a good source of protein.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours

specialwingz.....you are exactly correct!

You are welcome. I am one of "those poor people" some are bitching about.....Funny that chart that is a few pages back that show what "poor people" have in their home....Um I dont have a car, a microwave, DVD player, gaming system. I am sure there were a few other things also, and the only reason I have Internet is because one child has a heart condition and must be home schooled, she needs it. Other wise that 28 bucks a month would go towards food. I make just enough to pay bills, and only get 120 bucks a month (food stamps) for 3 people. No way can I go get things to make chili from scratch......

• specialwingz
    April 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Well, my heart and good thoughts are with you.  Been there, done that, hope to not be there again.  But, I do know I could do it if I had to.  And, due to having been there before, I have learned how to budget and cook more efficiently.

Quoting Trollslayer:

Quoting specialwingz:

thank you

Quoting Trollslayer:

Quoting specialwingz:

You, too, are missing the point.  I get that ounce per ounce, homemade chili is cheaper.  But, to make that pot of chili, a person has to buy all the components.  IE...meat, cans of beans, cans of tomato sauce, cans of tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Many people don't have a heavily stocked spice cabinet.  For the amount of all the components for that pot of chili, a struggling person could have bought 2 cans of chili, a bag of fritos (for frito chili pie, which stretches the chili), a chunk of cheese (from WIC) to shred for the top.  AND...still have money left over to buy milk, boxed mac & cheese (which I'm sure you also consider junk), but a 50 cent box will feed 4 people along with a .69 can of green beans.  But, when it comes down to a $20 to feed your family for a week, it sure as hell wouldn't be spent on a pot of chili that we have to eat 4 nights in a row.  It's going to be spent on as many cheap meals as possible to add variety.

You just have no clue what it's like to have to struggle.  I've been there.  And, I hope I never have to be there again.  But, I will say that it taught me not to judge others and to have comapssion for them, as well.  Which many of you could do with a good lesson in those areas.

Judgement is ugly and your energy is better spent on more positive things, like minding your own business and taking care of your family the way YOU choose instead of negatively judging others.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Making your own chili is NOT more expensive than the canned version, if you look at the yield of each. One can of chili wouldn't feed 4 people, plus give you left overs for lunch the next day. It costs me roughly 5 dollars(that is including chili meat) for a big pot of chili, for 4 people and I have plenty left over for either lunch for all 4 of us, or a new meal for dinner. One can of even the cheapest chili here is over 2 dollars, so no, it isn't cheaper to buy canned chili. There isn't much that goes into chili. Spices are extremely cheap and so are beans, and if you omit the meat, it's even cheaper. Beans are a good source of protein.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours

specialwingz.....you are exactly correct!

You are welcome. I am one of "those poor people" some are bitching about.....Funny that chart that is a few pages back that show what "poor people" have in their home....Um I dont have a car, a microwave, DVD player, gaming system. I am sure there were a few other things also, and the only reason I have Internet is because one child has a heart condition and must be home schooled, she needs it. Other wise that 28 bucks a month would go towards food. I make just enough to pay bills, and only get 120 bucks a month (food stamps) for 3 people. No way can I go get things to make chili from scratch......

• Ms.KitKat
    April 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Punish people how? The government is not "banning food" ;they are simply not going to pay for someone on their food program to buy sh*t. They can still buy their sh*t food; just with their own money.

I personally have no problem with the new school lunches program either. I find the lunches to be much healthier. I have only 1 child who purchases school lunch and he is loving the switch to having healthier food choices for his lunch. And it's not like anyone is being "banned" from buying the greasy french fries, etc...... these are still offered- just not a part of the meal; it is a la carte'.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I just find it fairly hypocritical when I see people agree with this...when you know most of these people would fight it tooth and nail if it were to happen to all Americans...look at the backlash when school lunches were changed...this just looks like a way to punish people for being poor...

Do I think people need to make better food choices? Of course I do...but I also don't agree with the government 'banning' food...

And before you get your panties in a twist with the whole 'we pay for it' nonsense, we pay for ALL people to eat junk food...look at the amount of corporate welfare and farm subsidies we pay...

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    April 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Not at all.

Quoting paganbaby:

Sarcasm?

Quoting JTROX:

Good.  Beggars shouldn't be allowed to be choosers.

• flprincessmom
    April 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

yes,  I know this....but when you have NO cash for food...it is the only way (along with food pantries every 3 months) to feed the family....

Quoting talia-mom:

Your food stamps aren't supposed to feed you for the month.  They are extra help.

Quoting flprincessmom:

IMO, it is because alot of the time healthy food is more expensive then "junk" food....I know to make my food stamps stretch every month I have to really coupon and budget.....I try to feed my family as healthy as I can given the amount of fs I am allotted each month. Even with going to the food pantry, the $240 in fs is not enough.  I do have to spend some of it on some not so healthy things like hot dogs and mac n cheese....just so that we can have a cooked dinner every night.....I think the food industry needs to lower the prices on fresh fruits and vegetables so that they are as affordable as the so called junk food......

• Nolanzo
    by Nolanzo
    April 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    It will NEVER HAPPEN.

Do you know the billions of dollars the mass-produced food industry would stand to lose? People don't realize the power of food industry lobbyists on Capitol Hill....

Companies like Kraft, Tyson, Nestle, and Frito Lay would have an absolute field day with this.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts