Featured Posts
pvtjokerus
Food Stamp Rolls in America Now Surpass the Population of Spain
February 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Food Stamp Rolls in America Now Surpass the Population of Spain

February 11, 2013

food stamps

(AP Image)

(CNSNews.com) – Since taking office in 2009, food stamp rolls under President Barack Obama have risen to more than 47 million people in America, exceeding the population of Spain.

“Now is the time to act boldly and wisely – to not only revive this economy, but to build a new foundation for lasting prosperity,” said Obama during his first joint session address to Congress on Feb. 24, 2009.

Since then, the number of participants enrolled in food stamps, known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), has risen substantially.

When Obama entered office in January 2009 there were 31,939,110 Americans receiving food stamps. As of November 2012—the most recent data available—there were 47,692,896 Americans enrolled, an increase of 49.3 percent.

According to the 2011 census, Spain had a population of 46,815,916.

Furthermore, between January 2009 and November 2012 the food stamp program added approximately an average 11,269 recipients per day.

President Obama will deliver his fourth State of the Union address Tuesday evening. Obama is expected to focus on jobs and the economy.

Replies

• pvtjokerus
    February 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Speechless.....

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    February 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    As I replied the first time this story was posted: Good, that means a lot of children had food today.
  • pvtjokerus
    February 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Why don't you see if you can find a break down on that, huh?

Quoting LauraKW:

As I replied the first time this story was posted: Good, that means a lot of children had food today.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    February 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Stay right there and wait for it, don't move.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting LauraKW:

• mehamil1
    February 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The population of America is 315 million. 

Obviously something more is going on here. Something that needs to be addressed if so many people cannot afford enough food. This is a sign of a very unhealthy society. 

• pvtjokerus
    February 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

"That's what I thought...."

Quoting LauraKW:

Stay right there and wait for it, don't move.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting LauraKW:

• pvtjokerus
    February 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You are right.  It should be investigated.

Quoting mehamil1:

The population of America is 315 million. 

Obviously something more is going on here. Something that needs to be addressed if so many people cannot afford enough food. This is a sign of a very unhealthy society. 

• Luv.My.Kidz
    February 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Okay so what people are saying "Let's take away this program that feeds kids and families who don't normally have the means to feed their family?" 

I swear some of you ladies never cease to amaze me with your "Take from the poor and give to the rich" mentalities. 

47million plus people are on the program.... oh well... and just as quick as people are getting on it... there are people getting off of it who don't need it anymore.

There are also a lot more eldery today than there were in 2009, more babies, and companies are folding, closing, cutting positions, etc. Really? Do you people not take that into account?

• brookiecookie87
    February 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The part I find puzzling is despite more people needing help with food. There are other (Normally extremely wealthy people) suggesting we should do away with minimum wages.

And that we should increase taxes on them.

• mehamil1
    February 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It does seem counter intutituve. 

I read that Walmart could increase all employees wages by $5,000 and they would still have a $17 billion profit. 

Something more is going on here. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

The part I find puzzling is despite more people needing help with food. There are other (Normally extremely wealthy people) suggesting we should do away with minimum wages.

And that we should increase taxes on them. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts