Veni.Vidi.Vici.
But that's not racist
February 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Is this offensive? Should it be?

Is it racist when people mockingly point out stereotypes regarding their own race?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 37% - no
  2. 25% - depends
  3. 5% - yes
  4. 31% - herp derp

Replies

• Euphoric
    February 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes

• turtle68
    February 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

ummmm yes....why is it questionable?

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    February 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

no.  I'm not webster but isn't racism the belief that one race is better than another.

Making fun of my inability to dance, or another's profession in a conveinence store or laudromat isn't saying that one race is better than another.  It's pointing out a stereotype, it's not very nice, it'll probably anger someone but it's not saying one is better than another.

• soonergirl980
    February 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

According to DH's co-workers no

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I voted HerpDerp.

This gets way too complicated and too "Iffy".I don't even know how to reply and if I do, there will be repercussions. No matter what I say, there will be.

KWIM? 

,....sigh......

• stacymomof2
    February 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM

LOL two people voted herp derp.

This video was hilarious.

When racial stereotypes are used in the manner as they are here it isn't racist but a commentary on racism.  

I have to say that the Harlem Shake cut that they did is a really popular meme right now, and the guy who does that song (Baauer) is playing at the club I work at on Saturday.  That show sold out...BOOM!  lol  It is going to be nuts.  People are just crazy for that song right now.  :)   (Sorry about hijacking the post, lol.  It's fun to work where I work sometimes!)  Also this meme pic was taken at my club, too:

• survivorinohio
    February 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That guy looks like he is gonna keel over and she has no idea.  Poor guy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

When racial stereotypes are used in the manner as they are here it isn't racist but a commentary on racism.  

I have to say that the Harlem Shake cut that they did is a really popular meme right now, and the guy who does that song (Baauer) is playing at the club I work at on Saturday.  That show sold out...BOOM!  lol  It is going to be nuts.  People are just crazy for that song right now.  :)   (Sorry about hijacking the post, lol.  It's fun to work where I work sometimes!)  Also this meme pic was taken at my club, too:

• stacymomof2
    February 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

lol, I know.  This was at a concert where the act was yelling at everyone to get on everyone's shoulders.  I don't know the people personally but through aquaintances and the girl is nice (and not heavy, very pretty and in good shape) and the guy is just a nice guy that was having fun.  This was all over with people making comments about "thunder thighs" (hardly) and that the guy is a weakling.  Neither is true.  Ahhh, internet, how we love you.  My cousin took the pic and is reveling in the glory of a million hits on his photo.

Look for a "Harlem shake" video to be posted on youtube on sunday featuring Baauer.  I will post it here as an O/T if I can find it.  We are really pumped.  The news was calling all day when they found out the Harlem Shake guy was going to be at our club.  :)

Quoting survivorinohio:

That guy looks like he is gonna keel over and she has no idea.  Poor guy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

• toomanypoodles
    February 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My Mexican hubby adores sharing his Mexican jokes. 

Didn't watch the vid, so not gonna make a call on whether whatever it says is racist. 

• krysstizzle
    February 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I don't think this video is racist, it's a commentary on racism. There's an important difference. And I think some people have a hard time making that distinction. :)

Also, best Harlem Shake ever. ;D