Featured Posts
candlegal
Man Sues TSA For $5 Million Following Peanut Butter Arrest
February 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM

24 hours in a cell for joking about sandwich spread

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
Feb 11, 2013

An Arizona man who was arrested at the behest of the TSA, following a wisecrack over a jar of peanut butter is suing the federal agency for $5 million.

Frank Hannibal, 50, was detained and dragged from LaGuardia Airport recently by police after a run-in with TSA agents over the jar of gourmet sandwich spread.

“The liquid oil that separated from the peanut butter had them baffled,” Hannibal told the New York Daily News.

Hannibal then commented to his wife and children that “They’re looking to confiscate my explosives,” as TSA agents inspected the 16-ounce jar of “Crazy Richards” chunky peanut butter.

TSA screener Edwin Sanchez, overheard Hannibal’s remark, did not see the funny side, and immediately called the cops, according to the court complaint.

Hannibal spent the next 24 hours in a cell, during which time he was fed a peanut butter sandwich by cops who later charged him with the felony of “falsely reporting an incident”.

“It sounds laughable now but at the time to be led out of there like a terrorist was unbelievable,” Hannibal tells the Daily News. “My whole life was up in the air. It was a nightmare. My children were overwhelmed. It was crazy.”

Hannibal has brought a $5-million-dollar lawsuit against the TSA worker and the Port Authority officer who arrested him, all over a $7 confectionary which was returned to him upon his release from jail.

“It’s a sorry state of affairs in this country when sarcasm is considered a felony,” his attorney, Alan D. Levine of Queens, noted, adding that TSA agents need to act with common sense in such situations.

This is not an isolated incident. The TSA has a history of concentrating on looking out for cakes and pies, as well as sauces, oils and vinegars.

The Homeland Security agency has also instituted a crack down on candy and cupcakes.

At the same time, people are routinely waltzing through security lines with swords, knives, explosives and guns. Many agents are too busy groping women and searching old people’s diapers to bother checking passports and flight passes.

Still, it’s good to know that the government is keeping Americans safe from sandwich wielding jokers.

source

Replies

• raschwittay
    February 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I agree that TSA is getting out of control. I was searched, like Physically, when I refused to put my infant child down or hand him over to a stranger to go through the X-ray machine. He was in a sling strapped to me. And I was keeping my 2 year old calm while I was pinned to a wall and told to spread it. Yeah, his comment was really stupid. But there should be some sort of exceptions.

• Euphoric
    February 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Mmm peaunut butter.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oh yeah? I fly a lot. I haven't ever been "treated like a potential criminal".

You know what I like about being a member of Cafe Mom and reading posts? It reminds me of how normal amd well adjusted I am and my family and friends are too. I don't know ANYONE who feels that they have ever been mistreated by the TSA. Bashing the TSA is the latest fad and excuse for people to go nuts and rant.

Chill.......

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

We are treated like potential criminals EVERYTIME we fly.  Our civil rights are stripped away from us when we walk into the airport and you don't have a problem with that?

Quoting punky3175:

Sorry but he's an idiot. There is a time and place for sarcasm. Standing in line at an airport being inspected by TSA is NOT that time or place. It's been 11 years - you'd think it would be common sense not to make such a comment in this situation. I hope he gets laughed out of the court room.

• PinkButterfly66
    February 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Every single person is considered a suspected terrorist before boarding.  

Quoting lga1965:

Oh yeah? I fly a lot. I haven't ever been "treated like a potential criminal".

You know what I like about being a member of Cafe Mom and reading posts? It reminds me of how normal amd well adjusted I am and my family and friends are too. I don't know ANYONE who feels that they have ever been mistreated by the TSA. Bashing the TSA is the latest fad and excuse for people to go nuts and rant.

Chill.......

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

We are treated like potential criminals EVERYTIME we fly.  Our civil rights are stripped away from us when we walk into the airport and you don't have a problem with that?

Quoting punky3175:

Sorry but he's an idiot. There is a time and place for sarcasm. Standing in line at an airport being inspected by TSA is NOT that time or place. It's been 11 years - you'd think it would be common sense not to make such a comment in this situation. I hope he gets laughed out of the court room.

• punky3175
    February 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    Nope. What he said does not fall under protected speech. He wants to be an idiot and talk about explosives in an airport, he should expect people to react accordingly. I'd rather TSA over react in this instance than ignore it. Better safe than sorry. My 13 year old son knows better than to make such a comment.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting punky3175:

• PinkButterfly66
    February 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Quoting punky3175:

Nope. What he said does not fall under protected speech. He wants to be an idiot and talk about explosives in an airport, he should expect people to react accordingly. I'd rather TSA over react in this instance than ignore it. Better safe than sorry. My 13 year old son knows better than to make such a comment.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting punky3175:

• punky3175
    February 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    What happened to you was wrong and TSA was out of line. Especially since you weren't joking about explosives while being inspected. There should be exceptions but not for smart asses who make jokes about explosives, bombs, blowing up planes (or anything else that doesn't fall in the 'protected speech' category) etc.

Quoting raschwittay:

I agree that TSA is getting out of control. I was searched, like Physically, when I refused to put my infant child down or hand him over to a stranger to go through the X-ray machine. He was in a sling strapped to me. And I was keeping my 2 year old calm while I was pinned to a wall and told to spread it. Yeah, his comment was really stupid. But there should be some sort of exceptions.

• unspecified42
    February 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    You think he deserves $5 million for a night in jail for being an idiot?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I hope he wins.

The TSA is getting out of control.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts