Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
angelcrystal
What age should my child start to grasp colours??
February 11, 2013 at 4:40 PM
My daughter is nearly 2years old now. We have been trying to teach her colours since she was 12months old, but she still has absolutelt no idea what we are going on about?? She is very forward for her age, was walking at 9months, has been taliking very coherently since 12months, knows her numbers to 12, can say the alphabet. We repeat the same things over and over again everyday, like you have a Red coat, you have blue gloves. But when we ask her what colour they are she says Black,everything is black. We go out and we will say Red car, Blue car, Green car, and then say to her when another red car passes, what colour is that car and she will say Black. She started saying black as our cat is black, and she adores our cat, so we started saying, Bobby is a black cat, and we thought that she had grapsed that colour as was starting to pick out the odd few things that were black. But then the other day we were coming home walking down our road and a ginger cat came running out and she pointed at it saying bobby, bobby. She obviously thought that was our cat! Bless her. We will still keep trying to teach her, but just wanted peoples opinions please, nice comments though! Oh and we have decided to just focus on one colour for now and try to name all the yellow things we see

Replies

• smalltowngal
    February 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    I think 2 to 3 is average. My DD learned letters before colors.
  • wickedfiress
    February 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-will-my-child-know-his-colors_6717.bc

Sorry mobile so can't make it clicky
  • meriana
    by meriana
    February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

It could be that she's having difficulty grasping it because things like cars are very mobile and quickley out of sight and a young child's attention span tends to be short. When we were teaching colors, we bought a set of tupperware tumblers. The set comes with one tumbler (plastic glass) in each of the four basic colors. When we gave our child a glass of water, we said the color of the glass and had them repeat it. Then we'd also do things like ask them to get the red glass when they wanted a drink. Another thing that helps is to get small colored blocks, etc. and something to hold them, a small plastic container works well, then help them put all the red blocks (or whatever) in one, all the blue in another and so on. Kid's seem to get the idea of colors faster when they are dealing with things they can touch and handle. Think up some short, fun games to play with her, focus on the colors of the objects, and have her repeat the color of whatever she's holding.

• Goodwoman614
    February 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Sorry. This does not belong in the "In the News" section of a group called Current Events and Hot Topics.

cafemom does have many groups regarding parenting, "ages and stages," child development, etc. that would be more appropriate for this post.

• littlelamb303
    February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

They should know colors by age 2, but you said she is not 2 yet, so do not panic.  I used to teach young children, and by 3 most knew.  A few months makes a HUGE difference developmentally at this young age, so don't worry too much mama. You seem to be on top of things.   I remember my dd at this age.  One minute she was barely speaking anything that made sense, and few months later she was speaking in full sentences.

My first teaching job was a group of young two year olds.  When they came to me in Sept. most were not speaking, were not potty trained, did not know colors, shapes, etc.  . By June, they knew them all!

• gammie
    by gammie
    February 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Two years, could she be color blind?
  • sheepinarowboat
    February 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My kids understood the concept of colors before they were 2 but didn't understand how to vocalize it.  My daughter would put things in piles according to color and shape and such with all her "Littlest Pet Shop" and TONS of tiny plastic animals so she was catagorizing by color and shape.  She has time still.  Just ask your pediatrician about it next time around and they'll be able to tell you better than I can.  I do have a girlfriend who is color blind to certain colors so that's always a worry when they're little but again...she has time yet.  She'll get it.

Quoting angelcrystal:

My daughter is nearly 2years old now. We have been trying to teach her colours since she was 12months old, but she still has absolutelt no idea what we are going on about?? She is very forward for her age, was walking at 9months, has been taliking very coherently since 12months, knows her numbers to 12, can say the alphabet. We repeat the same things over and over again everyday, like you have a Red coat, you have blue gloves. But when we ask her what colour they are she says Black,everything is black. We go out and we will say Red car, Blue car, Green car, and then say to her when another red car passes, what colour is that car and she will say Black. She started saying black as our cat is black, and she adores our cat, so we started saying, Bobby is a black cat, and we thought that she had grapsed that colour as was starting to pick out the odd few things that were black. But then the other day we were coming home walking down our road and a ginger cat came running out and she pointed at it saying bobby, bobby. She obviously thought that was our cat! Bless her. We will still keep trying to teach her, but just wanted peoples opinions please, nice comments though! Oh and we have decided to just focus on one colour for now and try to name all the yellow things we see

• turtle68
    February 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

shes 2....one of mine knew what mud tasted like.

• angelcrystal
    February 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Thanks, new to this site, so couldn't find the ages and stages group, but will look for it. Thanks to all have replied though. Yes we are worried she could be colour blind, as she just can't grasp colour full stop! We have been trying for a year like I said, and thanks for the teaching techniques, but we have tried them all, we have coloured blocks which we will sort into coloured piles, and keep repeating the colour then ask her to get say another yellow brick and she just grabs any colour!!! We've tried colour match games. And when when its tidy up time we say put all the red bricks away first, then all the green, we show her the colour we want her put away and she just doesn't get it. We play colour games in the bath like trying to find all the yellow toys, or all the blue. I have a four year old aswell and taught her the same and she knew her colours by about 18months. Our daughter tries to teach her sister to. Not sure what age they test for colour blindness, but I will have a word with the doctor next time were their. Thanks guys
  • Bieg9093
    February 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It's a very abstract concept...plenty of very intelligent kids don't master colors until 3-4 years.  So I'd say just back off her. If she's not ready yet, pushing one technique after another on her isn't going to help. It might even cause anxiety. Just quit talking about the colors, except as they come up in ordinary conversation) for several months.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts