Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?
February 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

High Schoolers Plan 'Traditional' Prom That Bans Gay Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 11, 2013 

prom corsageIt's prom time! That time of year when kids get all gussied up and start picking on their gay classmates for daring to be a little different. Yes, it's happening again. In one Indiana high school this year, there's even a call for a traditional prom that would outright ban gay kids.

Outraged yet? Let me throw this log onto the fire: the kids who are trying to organize this so-called "traditional" dance at Sullivan High School are being backed by their parents.

Way to prep your kids for the real world, folks!

This particular prom protest has gone viral because of the blatant homophobia, but the problem isn't just parents in Indiana letting their kids bully their gay peers. It's parents everywhere fighting the fight to homogenize high schools so their little snowflakes never have to feel uncomfortable with, gasp, diversity!

It makes high school hell for the kids who are different, who are caught up in the delusional "perfect" worlds these parents are trying to build for their kids.

But the real trouble begins when the little darlings graduate from high school and enter a world where Mommy and Daddy can't make the scary differences go away. This is why bullying doesn't stop after graduation. This is why there are hate crimes in America!

Because out here, there are gay people and black people and people with speech impediments and wheelchairs and every difference under the sun. And we aren't just going to hide away while some narrow-minded prat throws a dance.

Would you let your kid go to a "traditional prom" that excludes gay kids?

Replies

• FrogSalad
    February 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I'd let my son decide for himself.  By the time he's prom age, he'll be capable of making that kind of decision without my help.

• Debmomto2girls
    February 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    No but my daughter wouldn't want to go anyway. Actually, that would exclude some of her best friends at school.
  • wickedfiress
    February 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I would hope that my children would purposely NOT want to go, and speak out about it. I'm pretty sure my daughter would say something. 

My son already corrected his teacher last year when she told him "Boys don't marry boys that's silly"... he said "No, my mommy says it's love."  :)  And this broad wrote a note home about the "incident" ... ugh SO glad she no longer works at the school. 

• canadianmom1974
    February 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    If I've done my job, they wouldn't want to go and would be organizing a counter protest.
  • Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    February 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    I find it sad and disturbing that kids are doing this and their parents are telling them its okay... :-(

I would not let my kids attend any event that excluded others for being different. In fact, I would help my kids find another venue so we could have our own event and everyone could come.
  • Momniscient
    February 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Let?

Hmmm. Sticky. I will let my daughter decide for herself at that age. Hopefully, because I speak to her guide her and help her develop awesome judgment... she would decide for herself to not attend and perhaps even help to organize something more inclusive.

• MsDenuninani
    February 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Yes - because he has to decide his morals/values for himself.

That said, we are a family that supports full civil equality, and I would let him know that I disapprove of his actions.

• mandaday
    February 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    My daughter is a teen and not far from prom age. She would not go. She once attended a youth bible study with a friend and walked out when the youth pastor made derogatory comments about gay people. She's the type who would organize a different prom for the more tolerant kids.
  • TruthSeeker.
    February 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    This

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'd let my son decide for himself.  By the time he's prom age, he'll be capable of making that kind of decision without my help.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    February 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Quoting FrogSalad:

I would, too. I would dislike that the school was excluding kids.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts