Cafe Steph
When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously?
February 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Winter Storm Nemo Leaves 4 Dead: When Will We Learn?

Posted by Emily Abbate on February 9, 2013

Winter Storm Nemo SnowfallWinter Storm Nemo has officially come and gone. Here in New York City, we have one foot. In parts of Connecticut and Boston where the snow is still trailing off, they have a whopping 38 inches. This morning, more than 650,000 homes and businesses are without power, some of which are in areas still struggling to rebuild after Hurricane Sandy. More than 5,300 flights were cancelled through today.

The most striking news of all of this? At this time, four people are reportedly dead from storm-related causes. One woman collapsed while shoveling her driveway, the other three deaths all resulted from car crashes. It's horrible horrible news.

I can't help but wonder, though, if maybe these deaths could have been preventable.

Weather is no joking matter. Yeah, we've all fallen victim to sensationalized weather reports and have been through some sort of "major storm" that never really happened. However, in light of what happened after Hurricane Sandy and now Winter Storm Nemo -- we all need to take government warnings more seriously.

Many of the deaths from Hurricane Sandy could have been avoided if people actually listened to the government orders to evacuate. Instead, dozens who stayed to brave the elements were drowned by the storm surge in Queens and Staten Island.

Leading up to the snow's impact yesterday, people were told to stock up in advance, get off the roads, and stay put. Instead people everywhere were braving grocery stores mid-snowfall to get things they don't really need, driving over to a friend's house, and finding unnecessary reasons to get on the roads putting themselves and others in danger. The reality: Driving bans aren't just put into effect to protect us, they're put into effect so that emergency personnel and utility crews can get through.

Thankfully so many who ventured out are fine. However, my heart still breaks for the three that are not and their families.

When it comes to extreme weather, do you take the warnings seriously? Have you been impacted by Winter Storm Nemo?

Replies

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I always take warnings seriously. If you are employed or have to go out and drive,for any reason, you need to be cautious. If you think you will lose power and water, for example, you need to prepare for that. I have been through hurricanes and tornadoes and ice storms and know what is needed to prepare for what hapoens during and after storms.

People who say "Oh its no big deal.People are such wusses" are stupid.

• btamilee
    February 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I do take it seriously, but for the most part.....other than using common sense and being prepared, there is nothing you can do!  Mother nature doesn't really care how anyone *feels* about bad weather..it is what it is!  As of right now....we are getting snow at the rate of 3 inches per hour and 50 mph winds.  Nothing I can do about it....except listen to the advice to stay inside! 

• TruthSeeker.
    February 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I take the warnings very seriously and do not get out unless I absolutely have to.

• Mommy_of_Riley
    Jes
    February 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    I figure its Mother Nature and there's nothing we can do... Plus I think predictions are just that, a prediction
  • PestPatti
    February 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I live in upstate central NY.   GMA was in my county, doing a weather broadcast last month.   The lake effect snow has been hammering us for a while.   

I am 51, I don't go out in weather unless I feel comfortable being behind the wheel.   That's always been my motto..

• frogbender
    February 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

"The most striking news of all of this? At this time, four people are reportedly dead from storm-related causes. One woman collapsed while shoveling her driveway, the other three deaths all resulted from car crashes. It's horrible horrible news.

I can't help but wonder, though, if maybe these deaths could have been preventable."

I have to say, no, they weren't preventable. The woman shoveling probably already had a heart condition, either known or unknown.

The people who decided to drive weren't going to listen to any warnings.

I am sick of sensationalized weather. After listening to it for 3 days, I'm sure that some people became insensitized to the actual severity of the storm. Our news media are out of control. They act like it's the end of the world when one snowstorm hits the northeast and either send people into a panic, or desensitize them to the actual warning system that is already in place. Sheesh, 30 years ago you got a warning a couple of days in advance of the storm. People got the things they needed from the store and made sure they were stocked up on fuel for an alternate heat source without being thrown into a panicked frenzy by a rambunctious news media. While big storms may not happen as frequently in the northeast, people living there should be prepared with certain things every winter just in case. It's the northeast. Snow is going to happen.

• la_bella_vita
    February 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I take warnings seriously, yes

• canadianmom1974
    February 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Honestly, it depends. We get snow warnings all the time that never come to pass. I'm not sure why, but somehow the worst of the snow always hits just north and/or just south. So while I don't plan out of town trips when there's snowfall warnings, I do drive in town.

What I do tend to take more seriously is extreme temperature warnings. A couple weeks ago we had a long stretch of -40's windchills, so not much going out, just right to work, no walking to school for the kids, no highway driving.

And of course we're more watchful when there are tornado watches or warnings.
  • AidansMomMom
    February 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Most of the time I do take the warnings seriously, but I don't go out and freak out and buy all the groceries in the stores like a lot of people do.

• maciymommieof3
    February 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Oh yes....most defintely... we had a terrible ice storm 6 years ago and we were w/out power for 4 days... we had plenty of wood  and batteries for the "portable tv radio" ...OMG...It was so cold in the shower I could see my breath (gas water heater)

Oh and I always make sure all my camera's batteries are charged for some great photos!!!!   LOL