Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Questions about the bible?
February 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

My 13 year old just got back from Church camp. When I asked her what she learned, she told me how God sent his only son to die for us and how cool she thought that was. I was very happy for her :-)

That led to a discussion about whether or not Jesus was God's son or God incarnate. She believes that he was God's son. I say he was supposed to be both. Then we talked about if Jesus actually rose from the dead after three days. She believes that while Jesus died on the cross he didn't come back to life. Instead God resurrected his spirit and his body was too special to rot so it was preserved.

Is she right? Did I learn all the wrong things in Sunday school?

Replies

• luvslilacs
    February 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    I believe that the Bible states that his body was resurrected. It states that Thomas was able to put his hands in the wounds that Jesus received during his crucifixion.

I am pretty sure that is what most conservative (read Baptist-type) Christians believe and teach.
  • EireLass
    February 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

It would make a special moment for you to sit with her and have her show you which parts of the Bible they read, etc. Then you'd both be on the same page.

• paganbaby
    February 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

So does that mean he came back to life?

Quoting luvslilacs:

I believe that the Bible states that his body was resurrected. It states that Thomas was able to put his hands in the wounds that Jesus received during his crucifixion.

I am pretty sure that is what most conservative (read Baptist-type) Christians believe and teach.

• paganbaby
    February 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Now there's a thought! I'll ask her if she remembers which passage it is.

Quoting EireLass:

It would make a special moment for you to sit with her and have her show you which parts of the Bible they read, etc. Then you'd both be on the same page.

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    February 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

He rose from the dead in 3 days.  He lives.

• stacymomof2
    February 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hmmm.  I guess you would have to know what the church she is going to believes specifically.  I don't know too many Christian sects who don't believe in the trinity (Jesus is God) but there are some.  And I think the understanding is that Jesus was physically resurrected although it never specifically says if the resurrection was spiritual or physical, but apparently there are writings that say Jesus was physically around after he was entombed and before he was raised to heaven.  So it is a matter of interpretation.

• chcon
    by chcon
    February 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    The tomb was empty, he was resurrected. Later when he showed himself to his disciples, one of them just had to see the holes in his hands and touch them (Thomas) before he would believe - which Jesus did. She may be misunderstanding it or the instructor did not make it clear.
  • Allebas
    by Allebas
    February 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Jesus did die on the cross and rose on the third day. Jesus is God's Son. Jesus and God are two separate individuals.

• MommaGreenhalge
    February 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Nazarene.org has all of the articles of faith, and that includes some of what you're asking about and has scripture references. Also, check out the Nicene Creed.
  • Pema_Jampa
    February 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Or just stories and is why there are so many interpretations of it.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts